Saw Ted Haggard today :)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So sorry I have't been around- busy on 2 other forums and a moderator on one...bla bla, here I am now.

I can't remember who pm'd me wanting information on Ted - so I thought I'd post to those that might be curious.
All I can say is his congegation is around 6-700 and are a bunch of loving people, a nice band that meets in a rented school gym he renames St. James Church. All casually dressed -Ted in a shirt and jeans.

It was my first time in person - I sat next to him having coffee and slapped his knee twice.
Shook his hand on the podium saying he was GREAT! As I picked up the new person gift card for Texas Roadhouse
for $5 or 50!

He is a great preacher - I see why he bulit such a large New Life Church!!!
A wonderful guy. Positive with great examples for people to really get scripture.
I might want to go next week.
:) Miss Hepburn.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was hoping he would call me back, but I understand why he chose not to. Nice to see you MH!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a follower of Pastor Haggard, but I'm happy you got to meet him. I don't think there is anything more wonderful than a preacher who brings the Gospel. President Reagan, President Bush, President Clinton, Bush and Obama.... The Bible doesn't say they have beautiful feet!

What did he preach? It sounds like a wonderful experience!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was you preacher, Arnold? Solomon's end wasn't good, neither was John the Bapist's. Jehu who was probably the most zealous warrior and the most blood thirsty, he didn't end up good. Even David did some bad things. You want to get into the twelve patriarchs? Oh my!

Did Haggard practice what he preached? Probably not. What does that have to do with what he preached? Paul said he could be a castaway and still preach the gospel.

What I think of Pastor Haggard matters solely on what he preached, not what he practiced. But what he preached better be the Truth! I can forgive his sins of the flesh, but not false preaching.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was you preacher, Arnold? Solomon's end wasn't good, neither was John the Bapist's. Jehu who was probably the most zealous warrior and the most blood thirsty, he didn't end up good. Even David did some bad things. You want to get into the twelve patriarchs? Oh my!

Did Haggard practice what he preached? Probably not. What does that have to do with what he preached? Paul said he could be a castaway and still preach the gospel.

What I think of Pastor Haggard matters solely on what he preached, not what he practiced. But what he preached better be the Truth! I can forgive his sins of the flesh, but not false preaching.

I totally agree. Pastor Haggard has confessed his sins and repented......he is an example for all of what God can do

Point for you!

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011

Well personally I find drug induced sodomy extremely disgusting. Especially when someone is using church donation money to finance the habit, I was not trying to condemn the man or imply that Solomon or my pastor was sinless. I was actually curious about what his message was about. If it's alright with you could we stay on topic for little while ?

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
who is Ted Haggard?

Probably one of the biggest hippocrites in modern christian history. The kind of man Jesus would have very little patience for, he was profiting from his word and doing the exact opposite if what he was preaching.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably one of the biggest hippocrites in modern christian history. The kind of man Jesus would have very little patience for, he was profiting from his word and doing the exact opposite if what he was preaching.

Sounds like a sinner to me. Good thing Christ came for all sinner, not just the sinners that disgust you.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I totally agree. Pastor Haggard has confessed his sins and repented......he is an example for all of what God can do

Point for you!

According to the media he confessed to being a bi-sexual, but I do know he lied many many times to his followers and the public at large and once trust is violated it is very difficult to get it back unless it is earned. At this point IMO anyone would be foolish to allow him to teach them. He needs to mature spiritually.

Reactions: Comm.Arnold

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
According to the media he confessed to being a bi-sexual, but I do know he lied many many times to his followers and the public at large and once trust is violated it is very difficult to get it back unless it is earned. At this point IMO anyone would be foolish to allow him to teach them. He needs to mature spiritually.

Yes, very foolish.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Like many sinners, he confessed after all the cards were already laid out on the table for all to see.

It is what happens AFTER you admit your sin and seek forgiveness that counts.

If you 'repent' (the best definition being 'turn from sin and change your way of thinking about that sin') then you are white as snow and that sin can no longer be a barrier between you and Christ.

The world may still hold it against you, but fellow Christians - if they truly are Christians - must forgive you, completely.

If you however are found to have not come clean about everything or return to the sinful habit, you again bring ruin upon yourself.

Jimmy Swaggert is a classic example.

He was caught frequenting prostitutes.

He only then made a very public confession and tearful request for forgiveness.

The leaders of his denomination asked him to step down for a time, perhaps six months to a year, to reflect, rebuild his relationship with Christ, rebuild the trust of those around him, etc. and THEN return to the pulpit.

Jimmy felt he knew better, though, and returned in a little over a month.

Within a short time he was then AGAIN busted for frequenting prostitutes.

His ministry today is a hollow shell of what it once was.

Sin has repercussions.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did he preach on?

Well, once a year - the Sunday after Thanksgiving, apparently, he always tries to help in this time of over spending for Christmas and all to encourage his parishioners to have a budget.
(It had nothing to do with tithing, btw.)
In fact, he said,actually paraphrasing "Have I ever cared what you give?
Even when I was at New Life - I never
ever looked at what anyone gave, not once - it is between you and God
- and anyone that says get on the phone now and give $300 so we can build something
- turn the channel.
You give to God what you want to give when you feel to sow a seed - this talk isn't about that."

What was funny for me was he answered a ques I had about -where is it again where God says - Test me. Malachi.
Then he quoted the very thing I had been reading that morning II Cor 9....Ha!

He is really something. I liked the guy alot.
And he is what they say - a good preacher.

He sure does like steak and football I gathered...LOL!
His wife, Gayle, does nothing but beam - a lovely woman.

The psychologist and his psych. wife were present that have helped him recover
so much....they are starting a facility to help "fallen" pastors I was told.

There was a 'meet and greet' after 15 minutes --- and he was right - sometimes at other churches there is this time of shaking your neighbor's hand ----but in his church - it's like a party happens and you have to call everyone back to listen ---they all are close and enjoy each other surprisingly alot...the people I turned to were a fun, open family ---not all stiff and faking it.

Overall, a high experience.
:) Miss Hepburn

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, he got the malachi "test me" thing right! Once again, I'm happy you got a chance to meet him.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Foriegner makes a very good point - spiritual maturity is needed and caution is necessary. I am happy to see Ted's progress in his relationshjp with Christ....the result of his ongoing sanctification is evident in every interview I have heard since the scandal. I believe he can teach us a great deal - this being said, I am not comfortable with him leading a church.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then don't have anything to do with him.... Personally, if he doesn't preach the Truth and the whole Bible, I won't have anything to do with him either. However Miss Hepburn seems to feel blessed by meeting him, so good for her.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then don't have anything to do with him.... Personally, if he doesn't preach the Truth and the whole Bible, I won't have anything to do with him either. However Miss Hepburn seems to feel blessed by meeting him, so good for her.

Good point.