Scripture that has become a personal word.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years a number of scriptures have jumped off the page and given me a personal word or guidance.

It’s as though a passage you know and have read in the past comes to life and speaks to me in a way that is personal and addresses a particular need or problem.

Has anybody else experiences this sort of thing? It would be lovely to share those times.

The first time must have been in 1984 when we were preparing to go to the Dales Bible Week in Yorkshire, camping for the very first time, in my forties, in an old tent borrowed from strangers. To say that I was apprehensive would be an understatement but I prayed and read this verse in my bible and believed it:

Job 5:24
You will know that your tent is secure;

The first night there the heavens opened after a long hot, dry spell of weather and during the night it worsened and York Minster was set ablaze by a lightning strike. The storm raged very noisily and I woke and peeped out and people were out in the heavy rain and strong wind tightening their guy ropes. My husband and son slept right through it and our tent didn’t budge even inch. The only casualty was a wooden pepper which had been touching the side of the tent and got wet causing it to split from top to bottom, but even that dried out and still works perfectly.

Oh folks, our God is awesome.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading Psalms sometimes I realize that as I'm reading, it's as though the Spirit is praying over me in the words of the Psalm, about something happening in my life.

There was a time several years ago a coworker, after years of issues, had been threatening to shoot people, and I had to convince the owners to finally fire him. Of course he knew it was coming from me, and was very hostile. My wife was concerned, I was concerned. I was reading in the Psalms, and this happened, I don't remember which one, only, David's prayer of protection from his enemies, and I realized the Spirit was praying over me. I showed the Psalm to my wife, she had the same idea as she read it.

After that, we were completely free of any fear or worry, and we never heard nor saw him again.

Much love!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Over the years a number of scriptures have jumped off the page and given me a personal word or guidance.

It’s as though a passage you know and have read in the past comes to life and speaks to me in a way that is personal and addresses a particular need or problem.

Has anybody else experiences this sort of thing?

Yes, I was talking this over with a retired pastor and several friends. Heb 4:12, the word of God is alive.

Reading Psalms ...

In 2020, the verse of the year for me was Ps 82:1 (CEV translation). I kept on thinking about that verse in how to apply it today. REAL lowercase-gods.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a good thread. Please don't hijack it. There are already so many of those.

:(

???

Just the other day in Devotional reading in Corinthians, it talked about the god of this world.

Just because certain verses don't hit you like a ton of bricks does not mean they are not impactful for others. Praise God.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I remember after my husband stopped going to church I was torn between going to church or not. For a while I still kept going but my husband wanted us to spend time together with our son on the only full day we had together each week.

One day as I was walking in the park and praying about what to do I felt God tell me, ‘I am your shepherd.’ And then those verses in psalm 23 became very real to me. After that I stopped going to church and trusted God to feed me spiritually. And it was amazing that every time I felt like I need spiritual support I would meet somebody from church on the bus or in town and was refreshed.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My younger sister wrote to me one day, years ago, to say that she had been in therapy, and was remembering things she didn't remember before, and, did all that stuff REALLY happen??? I spent two hours in the library returning her email, sharing with her the things I remembered from childhood, mine and hers. Afterward I was an emotional wreck.

I went outside and sat down in my car, ready to just start crying. I reached over and turned on my little boom box. It cut in mid-sentence, ". . . Psalm 27:10, when my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will take me up". Then I DID start crying!

So much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember after my husband stopped going to church I was torn between going to church or not. For a while I still kept going but my husband wanted us to spend time together with our son on the only full day we had together each week.

One day as I was walking in the park and praying about what to do I felt God tell me, ‘I am your shepherd.’ And then those verses in psalm 23 became very real to me. After that I stopped going to church and trusted God to feed me spiritually. And it was amazing that every time I felt like I need spiritual support I would meet somebody from church on the bus or in town and was refreshed.
I remember night in my bedroom just feeling lost, just wandering in a wilderness, and prayed for a Word, and opened my Bible, and it was to that part, The LORD is my shepherd.

It's so good to remember all these things!

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I remember night in my bedroom just feeling lost, just wandering in a wilderness, and prayed for a Word, and opened my Bible, and it was to that part, The LORD is my shepherd.

It's so good to remember all these things!

Much love!
And we must all have such moments when we feel that God is close and personal and just knows what we need.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B. and marks

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is indeed an awesome experience, to have the Spirit of God implant the Word into our hearts.

What is sad is to see someone use the Word as their personal sword to wound others!

Reactions: marks and Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And we muust all have such moments when we feel God is close and personal just knows what we need.
This to me is part of, the Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are the children of God. There is Someone out there, Who has revealed Himself to me beyond any denying, Who has proven His love for me, in His care for me.

Much love!

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There is another passage that has become one of my favourites over the years since God 'gave' it to me as I prayed about returning a digital camera to the shop because it was faulty. I wasn't sure they would give me a refund because it was second hand and I sort of expected an argument - i was scared.
I prayed and this passage just lit up as i read my bible and I took it to heart and i walked into the shop with the confidence the Lord had given me through these verses and without a word the man gave me a refund. It is a passage I remember now in difficult situations and have shared many times.

2 Chronicles 20:15-17
He said: “Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. Tomorrow march down against them. They will be climbing up by the Pass of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the gorge in the Desert of Jeruel. You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you.’”

Reactions: Lambano and marks

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reading Psalms sometimes I realize that as I'm reading, it's as though the Spirit is praying over me in the words of the Psalm, about something happening in my life.

There was a time several years ago a coworker, after years of issues, had been threatening to shoot people, and I had to convince the owners to finally fire him. Of course he knew it was coming from me, and was very hostile. My wife was concerned, I was concerned. I was reading in the Psalms, and this happened, I don't remember which one, only, David's prayer of protection from his enemies, and I realized the Spirit was praying over me. I showed the Psalm to my wife, she had the same idea as she read it.

After that, we were completely free of any fear or worry, and we never heard nor saw him again.

Much love!
Very true my friend . THE LORD watches over the lambs . BUT be advised THE GOVTS WONT , they in it for themselves .
LET our trust BE IN CHRIST ALONE IN GOD ALONE as we journey through this land on our pilgramage to the CELESTIAL CITY OF GOD
Where one day all lambs shall gather . THIS WORLD IS IN DIRE TROUBLE , but fear not , THE LORD shall be with us
no matter what cometh against us , no matter what we must endure , HE IS WITH THE LAMBS .
Now lift those hands and praise the KING .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Very true my friend . THE LORD watches over the lambs . BUT be advised THE GOVTS WONT , they in it for themselves .
LET our trust BE IN CHRIST ALONE IN GOD ALONE as we journey through this land on our pilgramage to the CELESTIAL CITY OF GOD
Where one day all lambs shall gather . THIS WORLD IS IN DIRE TROUBLE , but fear not , THE LORD shall be with us
no matter what cometh against us , no matter what we must endure , HE IS WITH THE LAMBS .
Now lift those hands and praise the KING .
This thread is about scriptures that have been 'given' to you in a personal way so your video doesn't really fit in. Will you share one of your 'special' verses with us and tell us about the circumstances.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is about scriptures that have been 'given' to you in a personal way so your video doesn't really fit in. Will you share one of your 'special' verses with us and tell us about the circumstances.
it is written that man shall not live by bread alone but by EVERY word of the GLORIOUS LORD .
Thanks be to GOD for the new heart He has given the lambs for they love His every word .
Now lift those hands up and let the praises with much thanksgivings be given unto the glorious Lord .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about this thread and remembered another verse that helps me over and over again.

Psalm 139:16
Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

It came after I had a dream. In this dream I walked through a door in a high wall and found myself in a large walled garden whose walls were covered with a very ancient and gnarled wisteria in full bloom. Each time I woke in the night, which I do quite frequently, I heard a voice telling me to. ‘God back to the garden’. And as I drifted off to sleep again I would find myself in the same garden. This continued all night and in the morning when I asked God what it meant I believe his answer was that just as we were without sin in the garden of Eden so also we were without sickness. And that just as we are cleansed from our sin when we come to Jesus the ideal is that we are also without sickness. Just as we were back in the garden. I realise that this is an ideal and that many of us do have sickness of some sort in our lives but I believe that being free of sickness is something God want us to aim for.

However the verse I quoted above became linked to this dream in my mind. And over the years since I had the dream and the scripture I have become less worried about health concerns. If I start to worry about something health related I just say, 'NO!' and quote the verse. I am now convinced that nothing can take me before my allotted time.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was thinking about this thread and remembered another verse that helps me over and over again.

Psalm 139:16
Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

It came after I had a dream. In this dream I walked through a door in a high wall and found myself in a large walled garden whose walls were covered with a very ancient and gnarled wisteria in full bloom. Each time I woke in the night, which I do quite frequently, I heard a voice telling me to. ‘God back to the garden’. And as I drifted off to sleep again I would find myself in the same garden. This continued all night and in the morning when I asked God what it meant I believe his answer was that just as we were without sin in the garden of Eden so also we were without sickness. And that just as we are cleansed from our sin when we come to Jesus the ideal is that we are also without sickness. Just as we were back in the garden. I realise that this is an ideal and that many of us do have sickness of some sort in our lives but I believe that being free of sickness is something God want us to aim for.

However the verse I quoted above became linked to this dream in my mind. And over the years since I had the dream and the scripture I have become less worried about health concerns. If I start to worry about something health related I just say, 'NO!' and quote the verse. I am now convinced that nothing can take me before my allotted time.
Searching Psalm there, @Pearl ............

Reactions: Pearl