Seek First the Kingdom of God. what is “without natural affection” ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 4:1-11 is the background passage for this, although verses 1-4 covers the scene setting and exact temptation.

I thought that you were somewhat familiar with the scriptures and the contents of the Gospels in their storybook fashion...my mistake.
But this scene takes place immediately after Jesus is Baptized by John.
Jesus has been born and been anxious to start his ministry tour. This day had been foretold since the writing of the Torah and a bunch of clues as to how, when, where, and why to find Jesus given throughout the scriptures, (costing many many lives in the process of keeping the information available) and hardly anyone was there. This day was Heaven's worst kept secret and not even so much as a birthday party is thrown for that day. Jesus is righteously angry.

Oddly this could still be on topic of care. I used to hear His tone spoke as always condemning. Like the verse “how long must I suffer you people” speaking at least once this to His disciples. Asking them “is your hearts yet still hardened?” Also, to the Pharisees of how they enter not in but also suffer not others to enter in. His care “despising the shame but endured for the joy set before Him.” Isaiah 62:10-12 Go through, go through the gates; prepare ye the way of the people; cast up, cast up the highway; gather out the stones; lift up a standard for the people. [11] Behold, the Lord hath proclaimed unto the end of the world, Say ye to the daughter of Zion, Behold, thy salvation cometh; behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. [12] And they shall call them, The holy people, The redeemed of the Lord : and thou shalt be called, Sought out, A city not forsaken.
“Behold, thy salvation cometh...His reward is with him, and his work before him.”
Zechariah 9:9-11 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass. [10] And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: ...He did this in “unto the ends of the earth” in going (likewise)to the gentiles(heathen)...and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth. [11] As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water. (Setting the captives free) in “I Am the living water” “come drink ALL you who thirst” ...I will say to those who wake out of sleep ...Arise from the dead...He will not say there is not enough light for “us AND you” but instead “Awake thou that sleep, Arise from the dead, and Christ Will give you light”.

I'm sure that Jesus is entertaining thoughts of "Let's delete this universe and forget it ever happened...it was a bad idea to begin with" or maybe "These Israelites are worthless... maybe I shoulda gone with Ishmael"
One can only imagine...

men say “worthless” ...did He not already know it would be by no other Name but by and through His Name?

And while Jesus is away from all these annoying people "in the wilderness" and super hungry, that was when Satan made a suggestion.
Turn these stones into bread and eat.

annoying ...worthless...then why suffer them that they might enter in?

Bread AKA "lehem" in Hebrew isn't just bread as we think..."bread" was the word for basic foodstuffs. Beans, cheese, rice, meat, nuts, vegetables, corn, oil, and even matza qualifies as bread.

Jesus was hungry after 40 days of fasting. He is losing muscle tone and likely hair at this point... He is on the verge of organ distress if not failure. He should know too...He was there during the design process of creating mankind. He knows exactly what is going on with his human body.
Still on the topic of “care” ...there is the condemning accusers voice of “pathetic good for nothing but to be discarded” then there is another voice that calls:
“Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same(took part of the same suffering, same infirmities and pangs); that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; [15] And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. [16] For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. [17] Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. [18] For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.”

What you spoke of is tempted in the wilderness. Was only suggesting there is fast He completed which was not about not eating food nor painting his face to appear as fasting but instead Isaiah 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

But...
He has his list of tasks and teachings to perform according to the plan made before the Earth was formed. He has to die on a cross and raise himself up from the dead. He has a very scripted journey and example to set. An example that is going to last for thousands of years. He has billions of people counting on him to save them...which is the chief reason He came to Earth from his Heavenly Throne.

And if He can't handle the hunger and marginalizing now, how is He going to handle the crucifixion later? More self serving behavior? More luxury for himself? At what point does the luxury need to stop that He can easily provide for himself?

Self inflicted pain to appear noble or holy like the Pharisees did on street corners...doesn’t seem the same as His care shown toward those while they were still dead in their sin and trespasses... The accuser hating those “yet dead” in their sins and trespasses; while God’s Power, mercy, grace was demonstrated in raising the dead unto Life.

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oddly this could still be on topic of care. I used to hear His tone spoke as always condemning. Like the verse “how long must I suffer you people” speaking at least once this to His disciples. Asking them “is your hearts yet still hardened?” Also, to the Pharisees of how they enter not in but also suffer not others to enter in. His care “despising the shame but endured for the joy set before Him.” Isaiah 62:10-12 Go through, go through the gates; prepare ye the way of the people; cast up, cast up the highway; gather out the stones; lift up a standard for the people. [11] Behold, the Lord hath proclaimed unto the end of the world, Say ye to the daughter of Zion, Behold, thy salvation cometh; behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him. [12] And they shall call them, The holy people, The redeemed of the Lord : and thou shalt be called, Sought out, A city not forsaken.
“Behold, thy salvation cometh...His reward is with him, and his work before him.”
Zechariah 9:9-11 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass. [10] And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: ...He did this in “unto the ends of the earth” in going (likewise)to the gentiles(heathen)...and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth. [11] As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water. (Setting the captives free) in “I Am the living water” “come drink ALL you who thirst” ...I will say to those who wake out of sleep ...Arise from the dead...He will not say there is not enough light for “us AND you” but instead “Awake thou that sleep, Arise from the dead, and Christ Will give you light”.

men say “worthless” ...did He not already know it would be by no other Name but by and through His Name?

annoying ...worthless...then why suffer them that they might enter in?

Still on the topic of “care” ...there is the condemning accusers voice of “pathetic good for nothing but to be discarded” then there is another voice that calls:
“Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same(took part of the same suffering, same infirmities and pangs); that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; [15] And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. [16] For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. [17] Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. [18] For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.”

What you spoke of is tempted in the wilderness. Was only suggesting there is fast He completed which was not about not eating food nor painting his face to appear as fasting but instead Isaiah 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

Self inflicted pain to appear noble or holy like the Pharisees did on street corners...doesn’t seem the same as His care shown toward those while they were still dead in their sin and trespasses... The accuser hating those “yet dead” in their sins and trespasses; while God’s Power, mercy, grace was demonstrated in raising the dead unto Life.

Correct...
But now the point I was making should be clear.
God has tasks for us to accomplish. He has set us where we are for a reason. God has invested into us a unique set of talents, gifts, and abilities. We should want to be privileged with tasks to perform instead of burdened.

And there's the difference.

Sampson is a good example...God created him to be Israel's judge and savior with his tremendous strength. But he hated his job and kept demanding that God should overlook his constantly increasing long list of faults but give him more and more help and comforts constantly. He considered it all God's job and responsibility.
Until the day that God had had enough of that attitude. So Sampson lost his sight and strength and became a prisoner of those whom he used to fight. Yes, Sampson learned his lesson, humbled himself, and was redeemed. But imagine the work he could have accomplished if he had a better attitude. (Sampson's story can be found in the book of Judges)

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 2:20-21 says “For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. [21] For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's.

Really don’t know how to word the question but at the heart of the gospel is “seek Him”...seek Him First and his righteousness and all these things will be added unto you.

sobering then is the not having any like-minded to send for all seek their own, and not His kingdom First; seeking not the things which are Jesus Christ’s.

the proof there in Philippians being: only one to send unto you likeminded who will naturally care for your state.
I disagree with that translation. Paul is not saying that Timothy's care is a "natural" affection; rather, he affirms that Timothy's care and concern for fellow believers is "genuine." Timothy is not pretending; his affection, care and concern are not fake.

This answers the question as to why Timothy hadn't yet made his way to Philippi. It isn't that he lacks genuine care and concern for the Philippians. That is not the reason. He cares for them very much. Paul hopes to send Timothy to Philippi as soon as the Lord allows, which is why Paul remains in prayer over this issue. The Philippians should not interpret Timothy's absence as a lack of genuine interest.

What is “without natural affection”

Natural affections are the kinds of behaviors we would typically expect from those who love parents, love children, love fellow believers, love strangers, love country and love God. In fact, the Bible often reminds us that our love for others is predicated on our love for God. Jesus and the apostles remind us that those who claim to love God, but don't behave as if they love people, are fooling themselves.

1 John 3:16-18
We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

We expect parents to love their children. If they don't, they are "without natural affection." We expect children to love their parents; if they don't, they are "without natural affection" We expect the saved to love their savior; if they don't, they are "without natural affection." Sometimes the Bible refers to such people as "selfish", "arrogant", "lover's of self". Those without natural affection are typically those who are lovers of money, lovers of self, or both. By contrast, the Bible speaks highly of those who "fear God" and act accordingly.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus