Shallowness - Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shallowness.

The definition of shallowness which is a noun has two definitions.
1 Lack of physical depth: because of the shallowness of the water there are big temperature fluctuations.
- lack of strength or intensity: increased shallowness of breath.

2. Lack of depth of character, insight, or serious thought: the shallowness of the characters left the movie flat | Kate would scoff at her mother’s apparent shallowness | the shallowness of their arguments.

So there is a lack of something when something is shallow, be it water, strength or intensity, character, insight, or serious thought, there is a lacking of with-in its contents.

There are a few scriptures in the Bible that actually tough on the subject of Shallowness, and it may be a good idea to go through them and see what we can find in offer to this subject with the Bible which is our reference source one goes to learn from, bear with me and also remember that go and check for yourself do not believe everything that may be presented but you decide for yourself, and hold on to what is good.

No deep affection; of sentimental hearing -

In the Prophet Ezekiels testimony from Chapter 33 which if you go and read it, it talks about watchmen, and turning from sins, and how Yahweh takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked, along with an explanation of Jerusalems fall.

This is recorded in which Yahweh spoke about his people.

Eze 33:30 Also, thou son of man, the children of thy people still are talking against thee by the walls and in the doors of the houses, and speak one to another, every one to his brother, saying, Come, I pray you, and hear what is the word that cometh forth from the LORD.

Eze 33:31 And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.

Eze 33:32 And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.

In verse 29 Yahweh claims he will completely destroy the land because of their detestable ways - that being his chosen nation - Israel. In Verse 30, It is Yahweh speaking through Ezekiel - saying: (NLT) “Son of man, your people talk about you in their houses and whisper about you at the doors. They say to each other, ‘Come on, let’s go hear the prophet tell us what the Lord is saying!’

So when they talk to one another in their houses and whisper about you at the doors. They then say to each other, ‘come on lets go hear the prophet tell us what the Lord is saying!

In verse 31: And when the people come unto the Prophet - they sit before thee as (as though they are right with God?) - and they hear thy words, but will not do them for with their mouth they show much love, but their heart goes after their covetousness.

In verse 32: And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.

There is no deep affection here for having love for God but they believe they are right with God because they are - the people of Israel the chosen nation that God had worked through - they come and listen to Ezekiel but they really do not care, it is just entertaining to them to go and listen to the prophet. They listen to the words spoken but they do them not.

This is what it is like to have shallowness of no deep affection for having love for God or neighbor, and also to have shallowness of sentimental hearing.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No deep roots:

The next step in shallowness is to see what Jesus had stated in the Gospel of Mark.

Mar 4:16 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness;

Mar 4:17 And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.

Jesus was talking to his disciples when they had left a crowd which the Lord had just taught about the Parable of the Farmer Scattering Seed.

He starts to explain to them the Farmer plants seeds by taking God’s word to others, skipping over verse 15; which Jesus says those who hear the message Satan ends showing up and taking it away from them (we could see this as adversary today - as darkness still exist but Satan has been defeated).

Jesus goes on to explain in verse 16: And these are they likewise - similar to have the adversary come and still away what they had - which are sown on stony ground; who when they have heard the word, immediately receive with gladness, however have no root in themselves; and so endure for a time, afterward when affliction or persecution comes up for the word’s sake, immediately they are offended.

These people who have a stony grounded heart - they hear the word and they receive it with gladness; however they have no root. They have no steady firm foundation in trusting God fully with their own lives and because of this, though they enjoy, and love to hear the word - they endure only for a time. Afterward when affliction or persecution comes up for the word’s sake, immediately they are offended - such as telling the truth to another person but they are persecuted for it, they tend to fall away because they have no deep root, they are shallow. They can become grounded but it takes faith and reading and allowing the word of God to help increase your faith to be deeply rooted in faith and trusting the Father in heaven and the Lord Jesus Christ, which is not easy and takes time!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No deep foundation
Luk 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Luk 6:47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:

Luk 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

Luk 6:49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

Jesus talking to his disciples on the mount of olives here in the account of Luke has a lot to offer here to learn about.

After explaining in Luke 6:43-45 about the treasury of the heart; Yeshua goes on to express; Why call me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Whosoever comes to me (Yeshua), and hears my sayings, and does them, I will show you to whom he is like:

(Note* Not everything Jesus says is applicable to us sometimes they are only applicable to what He tells his Apostles and this is an important thing to remember when reading the Gospels - there are spiritual principles we can gain possibly but it depends on the circumstance and what is being said due the context and nature of how the Bible should be read).

Yeshua talks and tells his disciples anyone who comes to him, hears his sayings, and does them - he is going to explain to them what they are like.

Luk 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

Luk 6:49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

Those who come to Yeshua, and build off of the foundation on the rock: which he has laid, digging deep (searching the deep things of God): when the flood arose; the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: For it was founded upon a rock - the good foundation that is reliable in seeking and laying ones foundation solely on the Lord Yeshua Christ, and learning about God and the things he is about. (Verse 48)

But those who hear, and does not - listen - is like a man without a foundation built an house upon the earth (not upon the heavenly things that are unshakeable), against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great. (Verse 49).

Think about how good it is to listen to the King in which you pronounce your faith in, who died for you, to give you new life, store up for yourself treasures in heaven, not on earth.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Inability to receive the deeper message

Joh 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

This is the final step in shallowness is when one will draw back from the Lord Jesus, and walk no more with him. My encouragement is to press forward and ask God to help you give you wisdom, and search the deep things of God and build upon the rock. God bless you thank you for reading.