Should Christians give up their cars?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
A local vicar and his family run 3 cars between them. Is that setting a good example in these days of pollution?Personally I don't drive and I never have because I'd feel dirty at fouling up the atmosphere and choking asthmatic patients.Church car parks are often full and I don't like to see it..
stink.jpg

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
I am for simple and humble lifestyle. Christians should not live luxuriously like secular world. We have responsibility to help others. If we live like the world most of us cannot help others. Having less car is good idea IMO.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
being a Christian has nothing to do with driving a car you thoughts on pollution etc. are just that your thoughts. Cows produce pollution do we get rid of them???Many like myself live in rural communitys if I did not drive I could not even get groceries. Many couldnt get their kids back and forth.That doesn't mean if you dont drive and have strong feelings about it. You shouldnt follow them.But to make a judgement call on any christian with a car is not christian.You have know way to know what other measures another may be taking to protect the enviroment in other ways that are important to them.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Being retired and living on a limited income, I couldn't afford a taxi to take me everywhere I need to go. I make many trips to doctors because of failing health, and it's at least a half hour drive each way. I can't imagine what that would cost in a taxi. One day recently I had to make an hour and a half trip (one way) to another city to a hospital. Imagine the bill that would ring up in a taxi. I hate driving and do it only when I have to go to the store or church. I don't take long trips because I also hate traveling.

butxifxnot

Sep 22, 2007
Not to be Amish, which would make it impossible for me to live anywhere near where I do, doing anything near what I'm doing; but if you're living in excess, that's bad enough. If you're living in excess and it adversely affects others around you...why are you doing it?

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
We have 5 cars. As for pollution, I take that the same as medical advice to watch cholesterol. It's hype. Supposedly they already made cars so that they do not pollute as much which we own, so what's the problem? This environmentalism stuff is the world's philosophy that believes it will die out. I think the book of Revelation answers that well and it will not end until God says so. Does that mean we should not be responsible for the environment? No, I am not saying that. But I think that the amount of so-called pollutants and other things they gripe about is not as much of a problem as they say it is---- they always make the limit way too low.For a medical analogy, they say that more than 2500 mg of sodium is too much---- I say 10,000 is more like it. The numbers keep lowering so that we do not enjoy the blessed lifestyle that God has granted us.The bottom line is that less advantaged people are jealous of the USA and similar industrialized countries and spread propaganda that we should become poor like they are in the 3rd world countries.

Nova

Sep 20, 2007
Better a full parking lot than an empty one.But you do have a point about being responsible. God gave us dominion over the Earth & we do have an obligation to use it's resources wisely.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Nova;18469)
Better a full parking lot than an empty one.But you do have a point about being responsible. God gave us dominion over the Earth & we do have an obligation to use it's resources wisely.
We have our two family cars, the spare van we use mainly for trips, and my two kids each have a car (one's away at college). Everyone goes their own way each day, so I could not imagine not having that many. Then, when my son comes home from college, he invites his rock-band friends over, and there's another 3 cars in our driveway at least. I came home one day and found over 10 cars parked at my house! This is typical around here. Good thing my driveway's 300 feet long with plenty of yard space at the side for more and more cars.

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
The technology is already out there to run your cars on Hydrogen. The resulting pollutant is H20. Why are we already not using this technology? Ask the billionaires who are selling us gas. I wonder what comes out of the exhaust with corn and other vegetable oils used as fuel? I probably won't find out in my lifetime.

butxifxnot

Sep 22, 2007
(tim_from_pa;18433)
We have 5 cars. As for pollution, I take that the same as medical advice to watch cholesterol. It's hype. Supposedly they already made cars so that they do not pollute as much which we own, so what's the problem? This environmentalism stuff is the world's philosophy that believes it will die out. I think the book of Revelation answers that well and it will not end until God says so. Does that mean we should not be responsible for the environment? No, I am not saying that. But I think that the amount of so-called pollutants and other things they gripe about is not as much of a problem as they say it is---- they always make the limit way too low.For a medical analogy, they say that more than 2500 mg of sodium is too much---- I say 10,000 is more like it. The numbers keep lowering so that we do not enjoy the blessed lifestyle that God has granted us.The bottom line is that less advantaged people are jealous of the USA and similar industrialized countries and spread propaganda that we should become poor like they are in the 3rd world countries.
Well, in areas where there is a "smog report"...I think it's a real issue. Not so much "there's a whole in the ozone layer!!!! :eek: "

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(For Life;18476)
The technology is already out there to run your cars on Hydrogen. The resulting pollutant is H20. Why are we already not using this technology? Ask the billionaires who are selling us gas. I wonder what comes out of the exhaust with corn and other vegetable oils used as fuel? I probably won't find out in my lifetime.
This is an excellent example as to having your cake and eating it too. I would have no problem switching over if they made it efficient and affordable. As for the billionaires, I think that's the real problem. But everyone, including well meaning folks, take the glut of these people and always lay the blame on the common guy like I'm the one who should give up my cars. How am I to get around then? But I am not an automotive designer and manufacturer. I can only work with what I have given (or sold) to me. So the real problem is the source. Whenever there's a problem, one must always follow the money trail, but again, the blame is often applied to those that have nothing to do with it.