Should Christians still cast lots today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians still cast lots today as a method of determining God's decision or God's will?

• Yay

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Nay

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
In Acts 1:20, Peter quotes Psa. 109:8 where David prophesied that Judas was supposed to be replaced by one of the original 120 followers. There is no doubt that they made the right call in casting lots to know God's will in regards to which disciple was supposed to replace Judas.

As to whether Christians should practice cleromancy today, i would personally avoid it. A lot of self-willed people like to do things that they interpret as God's will, and practicing cleromancy would just be another excuse for such people to do what they already decided to do.
hence why i suggest allowing for an unknown, ya

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I voted nay but i probably should have voted I don’t know. When considering casting lots I think of Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

Psalm 22:18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

Matthew 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

I wonder if their casting lots for a replacement of Judas was finishing out the twelve. But who cast lots for Saul/Paul? Is there any casting of lots mentioned after the twelve are completed?
i notice that its something that you kind of outgrow myself

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
for binary decisions that seems to follow their pattern just fine i reckon. Mostly it seems to be something agreeable to all that settles dispute, which might be the point

what about casting votes for election?

To settle disputes?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what about casting votes for election?

To settle disputes?

thinking about all the signage to cast votes for governor, mayors, city council, even judges seats that are filled? Excuse my lack of knowledge on government if I got those wrong?

God appointed officials and leaders?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: "christians cast lots today?":
Casting lots is mentioned a number of times in the Bible, and was sometimes used to determine God's will, the question is should Christians still cast lots today?
Precious friend, this may be helpful:

"Now that we have The Completed Word of God, as well as The Indwelling Holy Spirit
to Guide us, there is no reason to be using games of chance to make decisions."
(Man Alive! — Jonah: Lessons From a Wayward Prophet by Pastor Ricky Kurth)

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

God's Simple Will! The apostle Of GRACE! (2 Min With The BIBLE)

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

"Now that we have The Completed Word of God, as well as The Indwelling Holy Spirit

I voted nay too, when reflecting on the NT example in Acts, the Apostles selected 2 people first before they casted lots, and I definitely don't recall Matthias being mentioned by name after he was chosen by casting the lots.

I believe that choice was done in the flesh, like some other choices were in the Bible.

Reactions: lforrest

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I have yet to finish reading it, but the ‘ lessons from a wayward Prophet ‘ is a fascinating read, really helpful. Thank you for sharing it x

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wonder if their casting lots for a replacement of Judas was finishing out the twelve. But who cast lots for Saul/Paul? Is there any casting of lots mentioned after the twelve are completed?
Peter and the other apostles had received the gift of the Holy Spirit on the day of resurrection. But the reality of the indwelling Spirit had not become real to the apostles until after Pentecost. So they went by the OT custom of casting lots, presuming that this was the right thing to do. As we know from the rest of the NT, it was not the right thing to do, therefore Matthias disappears after that, and Paul becomes the leading apostle. So the lesson is that since the Holy Spirit indwells believers, there is no need to cast lots.

The unbelieving Roman soldiers did cast lots for a very practical reason. They did not want to divide up the robe of Christ and ruin it. They probably believed that Christ was justly crucified. That would have been similar to a group of people writing their names on pieces of paper, and folding them up so that the names were hidden. The first name randomly picked out of a hat would be the winner.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Casting lots is mentioned a number of times in the Bible, and was sometimes used to determine God's will, the question is should Christians still cast lots today?

Also was Matthias God's choice to replace Judas? Or was it just a move of the flesh when the 11 disciples nominated Barsabbas and Mathias and cast lots to decide who replaces Judas?

Here are a couple of examples

Aaron casting lots to determine which goat will be offered to the Lord.

Leviticus 16:8‭-‬9
He is to cast sacred lots to determine which goat will be reserved as an offering to the Lord and which will carry the sins of the people to the wilderness of Azazel. Aaron will then present as a sin offering the goat chosen by lot for the Lord.

The 11 apostles casting lots to determine which man to replace Judas.

Acts of the Apostles 1:20‭-‬26 NLT
Peter continued, “This was written in the book of Psalms, where it says, ‘Let his home become desolate, with no one living in it.’ It also says, ‘Let someone else take his position.’ “So now we must choose a replacement for Judas from among the men who were with us the entire time we were traveling with the Lord Jesus— from the time he was baptized by John until the day he was taken from us. Whoever is chosen will join us as a witness of Jesus’ resurrection.” So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. Then they all prayed, “O Lord, you know every heart. Show us which of these men you have chosen as an apostle to replace Judas in this ministry, for he has deserted us and gone where he belongs.” Then they cast lots, and Matthias was selected to become an apostle with the other eleven.

Why am I bringing this up? Because I heard of another Christian doing this or shall I say group of Christians, and before that I have never heard of Christians casting lots before ever since Matthias in the book of Acts.
Proverbs 16:33 We may throw the dice,
but the Lord determines how they fall.
This is what I was going
to quote, but I have to agree with the others here and assume that they weren't using lots and magic, but rather sort a flipping a coin, picking a straw sort of thing.

Not as a form of divination.

I think that proverb is an example of God's sovereignty and using the lots an example.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Also was Matthias God's choice to replace Judas? Or was it just a move of the flesh when the 11 disciples nominated Barsabbas and Mathias and cast lots to decide who replaces Judas?

Here are a couple of examples

Aaron casting lots to determine which goat will be offered to the Lord.

Leviticus 16:8‭-‬9
He is to cast sacred lots to determine which goat will be reserved as an offering to the Lord and which will carry the sins of the people to the wilderness of Azazel. Aaron will then present as a sin offering the goat chosen by lot for the Lord.

The 11 apostles casting lots to determine which man to replace Judas.

Acts of the Apostles 1:20‭-‬26 NLT
Peter continued, “This was written in the book of Psalms, where it says, ‘Let his home become desolate, with no one living in it.’ It also says, ‘Let someone else take his position.’ “So now we must choose a replacement for Judas from among the men who were with us the entire time we were traveling with the Lord Jesus— from the time he was baptized by John until the day he was taken from us. Whoever is chosen will join us as a witness of Jesus’ resurrection.” So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. Then they all prayed, “O Lord, you know every heart. Show us which of these men you have chosen as an apostle to replace Judas in this ministry, for he has deserted us and gone where he belongs.” Then they cast lots, and Matthias was selected to become an apostle with the other eleven.

Why am I bringing this up? Because I heard of another Christian doing this or shall I say group of Christians, and before that I have never heard of Christians casting lots before ever since Matthias in the book of Acts.
I think prayer and fasting should be used to determine church leaders. If God said to them to cast a lot then it should be used. But only if under direction of God. It's kinda like gambling.