Should christians stop celebrating Valentine's day

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you suggesting Celebrating Valentine’s Day (showing someone you love them) is a cup of the devil?
I would say yes. Satan has a fine way, even it looks beautiful in our eyes, but he can deceive us, just like Eve in the garden of Eden. When she looked at the fruit from the tree, knowledge of good and evil, it looked desirable in her eyes

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Should christians stop celebrating valentines day? There is no commandment innscripture to do so

There are lots of things n o t mentioned in scripture.
We do a lot of those things, just because some of it is not mentioned does not make it evil.
Amazing the things people come up with..... :)

Reactions: amadeus
Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are lots of things n o t mentioned in scripture.
We do a lot of those things, just because some of it is not mentioned does not make it evil.
Amazing the things people come up with..... :)
What does Jesus say about tradition of men according to Mark 7?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say yes. Satan has a fine way, even it looks beautiful in our eyes, but he can deceive us, just like Eve in the garden of Eden. When she looked at the fruit from the tree, knowledge of good and evil, it looked desirable in her eyes
Fascinating....thank you.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I don't think Jesus was referring to a loving husband giving a "I love you card" to his wife.

For crying out loud.

The Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States defines legalism as a pejorative descriptor for "the direct or indirect attachment of behaviours, disciplines, and practices to the belief in order to achieve salvation and right standing before God", emphasizing a need "to perform certain deeds in order to gain ...

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ
Amadeus said:
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ." Col 2:16-17
TLHKAJ said:
These verses refer to holy days, feast days set by God in the OT. Valentine's Day isn't one of those, nor is Christmas or Easter, which are among several pagan-rooted man-made holidays. They all go back to ba'al worship.

No offense intended....
No offense taken! Are you presuming? If they are shadows, so what then is the Reality for people living for God today? What should the Reality be for people living for God? Unbelievers live in their own fictional settings in the temporal or fictional world. Fictional or temporal that is according to my understanding of God and the things of God. The Reality is God and the things of God in the order of God.

People living for God, until they have overcome all of their own world as Jesus did, are in a measure living in that same fictional or temporal setting of the unbelievers. When we really are called to God and really repent that first time we have taken a first step into Reality... While we are still seeing God and the things of God through a glass darkly part of our vision is not Real even though we, like the unbelievers, may treat it as Real.

Understanding hopefully where I am on that, you may be able to see where I might be with regard to any holiday any man might choose to celebrate today. What is the Reality of them. That is where I want to be: in the Reality, which is Life, instead of the fiction which is death!

Reactions: Triumph1300

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who said that Christians have set a holy day for showing love?

I never heard any of my Christian friends or bible teachers declaring Valentine's day being a holy day.

Are you involved with JW's?
No, I am not JW. lol
I am a Christian who believes the whole Word of God is true.

My post that you are referring to was written in response to another brother in light of a scripture he quoted, which scripture was about holy days.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did not condemn traditions. Rather he spoke against practicing traditions which make void the commandment or Word of God:

"Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition." Mark 7:7-9

When my children were very small it became a family tradition for me to go into their rooms at night just before lights out to read them a story, which may or may not have been a Bible story. My children got to the point where they expected me each evening. It was tradition and it was not evil or sinful.

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Umm,.. no,.. watch this video. Valentine's Day's origin actually does honor God to the extreme. Besides that, call me crazy but what can be so sinful about having a romantic night with your sweetie?

Sweetie or husband, April?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus did not condemn traditions. Rather he spoke against practicing traditions which make void the commandment or Word of God:

"Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition." Mark 7:7-9

When my children were very small it became a family tradition for me to into their rooms at night just before lights out to read tem a story, which may or may not have been a Bible story. My children got to the point where they expected me each evening. It was traditional and it was not evil or sinful.
But that practice of reading to your kids was for the sake of something outside of Christianity i.e. education, entertainment, sedative, etc.. But, dedicating a day in the name of love, is an extremely precarious and defiant stance to take. Did Christ love on somedays more than others, of course not.
Not to mention, Valentines Day is typically for those in a relationship, and, I imagine that you would agree with the numbers, 75% of those who participate in this celebration, are in illicit relationships.
I'm not seeing the edification in revering this day on any level?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As a single person, it holds no relevance for me, and I couldn't care less what others do.
Just because you're single, doesn't mean that you lack judgement, does it?
Are you unable to offer a wise response from a Christian perspective?
Telling people that you don't care about what they do, is tantamount to saying either that, you're apathetic, or that it's acceptable depending on the person.

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just because you're single, doesn't mean that you lack judgement, does it?
Are you unable to offer a wise response from a Christian perspective?
Telling people that you don't care about what they do, is tantamount to saying either that, you're apathetic, or that it's acceptable depending on the person.

Hi DNB, I mostly agree with @Michael1985 in the post that you were replying to.

From our point of view, there isn't really much to celebrate on Valentine's day for singles, it's just another day for most of us singles, and it can be sometimes a hard day for us if we think about it.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi DNB, I mostly agree with @Michael in the post that you were replying to.

From our point of view, there isn't really much to celebrate on Valentine's day for singles, it's just another day for most of us singles, and it can be sometimes a hard day for us if we think about it.

But in answer to the OP, I would say yes it is fine for Christian couples to celebrate St. Valentine's day, the Bible does not prohibit the day, enjoy your day and celebrate your relationship.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such a ratio sounds actually pathetic, seriously!

...Fine. If anyone here wants to send me flowers and chocolate 364:365 days a year, I like Ferrero Rocher and Queen Anne Cordial Cherries, but I get bored, so I'll legit settle for Nilla wafers and a cup of Tetley.

Now I look high maintenance.

Reactions: dev553344 and Josho
Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think Jesus was referring to a loving husband giving a "I love you card" to his wife.

For crying out loud.

The Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States defines legalism as a pejorative descriptor for "the direct or indirect attachment of behaviours, disciplines, and practices to the belief in order to achieve salvation and right standing before God", emphasizing a need "to perform certain deeds in order to gain ...
Agaid, I ask you, what does Jesus say about Mark 7? Traditions of men are pointless to YAHWEH!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that practice of reading to your kids was for the sake of something outside of Christianity i.e. education, entertainment, sedative, etc.. But, dedicating a day in the name of love, is an extremely precarious and defiant stance to take. Did Christ love on somedays more than others, of course not.
Not to mention, Valentines Day is typically for those in a relationship, and, I imagine that you would agree with the numbers, 75% of those who participate in this celebration, are in illicit relationships.
I'm not seeing the edification in revering this day on any level?
Outside of Christianity, because the stories were sometimes not Bible stories? No, if you mean by Christianity the group of people who are striving to follow Christ, none of them are outside of Christianity even though many times they are in sin instead of in the Spirit of God. Being in Christianity is hardly a guarantee from God of salvation, is it... if there is a danger still of becoming a reprobate?

People who are in what you call an illicit relationship are probably not there because they do or do not celebrate Valentine's Day by giving gifts or cards to those they care about or love. Perhaps some people use such a day or some other designated holiday as an excuse to engage in things not pleasing to God, but very likely even without those excuses they would manage to do what they wanted to do at some point anyway.

To turn it around and say that anyone who honors any such tradition is committing a sin against God is making a judgement it is unlikely that most [all?] people, Christian or not, are qualified to make. This is why when it comes to making the final judgement against a person, it is God's call, not ours. God looks at the hearts of people...something we usually are unable to do.

Do you suppose that by describing black and white rules taken from the Bible [OT or NT] for people to follow we would remove the evil yearnings from their hearts that when followed lead to sin? In the OT they had dozens of written rules [613?] to follow and how well did they do? God even then judged people's hearts rather than looking only at the letter of the law. It [the OT] was all written down certainly in part for us [you and me today] so that we could see that rules alone, even the best rules, won't get it done for us. Peter was shown this as we see by his words here:

"Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?" Acts 15:10

To make it to the end with God, we need to be led. To be led correctly we need the right leader and indeed God has provided that for us... if we are willing to listen, obey and follow Him.

Don't worry about the other guy so much!

"Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me." John 21:21-22