Should christians stop celebrating Valentine's day

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sad and heart broken that we all have been deceived and believed a lie, to think that it is ok and innocent to celebrate these pagan origin holidays such as valentines day, easter, christmas, mothers and fathers day. We enjoy these pagan costumes more than God's holy days. Do you see how God feels? I believe he feels betrayed, because we want to exchange from God's holy days to man made holiday days....

Last edited:

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not to mention, Valentines Day is typically for those in a relationship, and, I imagine that you would agree with the numbers, 75% of those who participate in this celebration, are in illicit relationships.

The same can be quoted about Christmas.

I fail to see why this should be an obstacle for showing love towards my wife by giving her a card and flowers on Valentines Day.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and amadeus

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Agaid, I ask you, what does Jesus say about Mark 7? Traditions of men are pointless to YAHWEH!

I answered you in post 45.

I am not here to pick a fight with you.
You want to be legalistic about this, go ahead.
Legalism is alive and well within some churches, I am well aware of it.
I ran away from a congregation making legalism their gospel.

Reactions: marks and amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should christians stop celebrating valentines day? There is no commandment innscripture to do so. I wonderwhat God is thinking about right now, the things that his children should not associate with.
I celebrate my love for my wife on Valentines Day, and not only on that day!

Much love!

Reactions: Triumph1300

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then how do you explain this verses?

Deu 12:30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
31Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.
32¶What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

1Co 10:21Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
This has nothing to do with my celebration of love for my wife on Valentine's day.

If you follow your logic through, well, I'm imagining you don't use the pagan god named days of the week? Saturn's Day, The Sun's Day, all that?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I fail to see why this should be an obstacle for showing love towards my wife by giving her a card and flowers on Valentines Day.
It's just one more excuse to do it, brother! One more way we can show our love!

I hope my favorite card shoppe is still there after all this shutdown!

Much love!

Reactions: Triumph1300

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
February 14th is the day on which anxious romantics around the world await to be told, in one way or another, “I love you.” Neither Ann nor Yuko has any idea how this holiday got started. They might be surprised to find out.

The roots of what is now called Valentine Day can be traced back to ancient Greece, where worship of Pan flourished. This mythical half-man-half-goat fertility god had a wild, unpredictable nature that struck terror into humans. Aptly the English word “panic” literally means “of Pan.”

Pan was supposed to watch the flocks while playing his pipes. However, he was easily distracted. Pan had many love affairs with nymphs and goddesses. One sculpture shows Pan making advances to Aphrodite, the goddess of love. Eros, the god of love, hovers above them flapping his wings—much like the Cupid found on valentines today.

In Rome many worshiped a similar god named Faunus. He too was depicted as half man and half goat. Worship of Faunus was prominent at Lupercalia, an orgiastic festival that was observed each year on February 15. During this festival scantily clad men raced around a hill, brandishing goatskin whips. Women who wanted to bear children stood near the path of these runners. Striking a woman with a whip, the Romans believed, would ensure her fertility.

According to The Catholic Encyclopedia, Lupercalia was abolished by Pope Gelasius I in the late fifth century C.E. Yet, today we find a modern-day counterpart prospering under the title: “Saint Valentine’s Day.” There are various theories regarding the origin of this “Christianized” name. According to one story, the third-century Roman emperor Claudius II forbade young men to marry. Valentine, a priest, married young couples secretly. Some say that he was executed on February 14, about 269 C.E. In any case, a “saintly” title cannot conceal the unsavory origin of this celebration. Valentine Day is rooted in pagan rituals so should Valentine's day be celebrated by true Christians because of what 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 says?Year-round expressions of genuine love are much more rewarding than the passing fancies of a sentimental holiday.

Reactions: shinethelight32

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Year-round expressions of genuine love are much more rewarding than the passing fancies of a sentimental holiday.
I like all of the above. For my wife, Valentines Day is her annual 1lb box of Sees.

Much love!

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I answered you in post 45.

I am not here to pick a fight with you.
You want to be legalistic about this, go ahead.
Legalism is alive and well within some churches, I am well aware of it.
I ran away from a congregation making legalism their gospel.
This is not legalism. This is common sense. We should determine what is right and what is wrong according to the scriptures. This is about showing love to God by being obedient, not going by our own understanding nor opinions

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not legalism. This is common sense. We should determine what is right and what is wrong according to the scriptures. This is about showing love to God by being obedient, not going by our own understanding nor opinions
So . . . is there a place in Scripture that tells me now to give my wife a card and flowers and a box of chocolates?

Isnt' being obedient to God showing love for each other?

Much love!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am leaving this discussion with the following quote:

Whatever Valentine’s Day is to you, it is for you to decide.
Personally, I think it’s a great opportunity to celebrate love,
whether it be for family, friends, lovers,
or neighbors because Jesus said that people would know us by our love.

Reactions: marks

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi DNB, I mostly agree with @Michael1985 in the post that you were replying to.

From our point of view, there isn't really much to celebrate on Valentine's day for singles, it's just another day for most of us singles, and it can be sometimes a hard day for us if we think about it.
I was trying to compel M1985 to offer a judgement, irrespective of his empathy towards the issue. It is not necessary that one must have experienced all things, in order to exact a Christian judgement on a particular action.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...Fine. If anyone here wants to send me flowers and chocolate 364:365 days a year, I like Ferrero Rocher and Queen Anne Cordial Cherries, but I get bored, so I'll legit settle for Nilla wafers and a cup of Tetley.

Now I look high maintenance.
Well, to my point, how about someone sends you kind regards, best wishes, support and wise advice 365 days a year, ...or at least be on call.
Which do you prefer, Ferrer Rocher, or a kind and willing heart?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Outside of Christianity, because the stories were sometimes not Bible stories?
Yes, the content of the book.
Perhaps some people use such a day or some other designated holiday as an excuse to engage in things not pleasing to God, but very likely even without those excuses they would manage to do what they wanted to do at some point anyway.
Yes, the day only exposes their sin, does not elicit it. But, it attracts the frivolous, and tends to glorify their mock-relationship.
To turn it around and say that anyone who honors any such tradition is committing a sin against God is making a judgement it is unlikely that most [all?] people, Christian or not, are qualified to make.
A sin, no, I never meant to regard it as a sin, but merely that it's extremely secular and misguided, and that in practice, it does not bear any Christian values.
Do you suppose that by describing black and white rules taken from the Bible [OT or NT] for people to follow we would remove the evil yearnings from their hearts that when followed lead to sin?
No, but I will not support or subscribe to anything that does not edify, or that gives a false sense of security.
Don't worry about the other guy so much!
I always worry about the other guy, we are all watchmen (Ezekiel), obligated to warn others of impending doom, or misguided practices.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, and I feel the same about Christmas, ...probably more indignant of Christmas.

I don't believe that such materialism should be either, an expression, or a quantification of one's love towards their spouse.
I've always said, show me a man who buys his wife furs and jewelry, and I'll show you a man who doesn't treat her right. Not that this applies to you, but the principle denotes the shallowness and superficiality of cards and gifts as an act of affection or devotion.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the content of the book.

Yes, the day only exposes their sin, does not elicit it. But, it attracts the frivolous, and tends to glorify their mock-relationship.

A sin, no, I never meant to regard it as a sin, but merely that it's extremely secular and misguided, and that in practice, it does not bear any Christian values.

No, but I will not support or subscribe to anything that does not edify, or that gives a false sense of security.

I always worry about the other guy, we are all watchmen (Ezekiel), obligated to warn others of impending doom, or misguided practices.
There is much that we can do, but only as God leads us and for other people as they allow us. Carry on and give God the glory!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
...Fine. If anyone here wants to send me flowers and chocolate 364:365 days a year, I like Ferrero Rocher and Queen Anne Cordial Cherries, but I get bored, so I'll legit settle for Nilla wafers and a cup of Tetley.

Now I look high maintenance.

Hmmmm, you really like flowers and chocolate.

:p

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, to my point, how about someone sends you kind regards, best wishes, support and wise advice 365 days a year, ...or at least be on call.
Which do you prefer, Ferrer Rocher, or a kind and willing heart?
Kind and willing heart, for sure, but I would think that would be a given. But less on receiving, I really would like to have someone to surprise with a special bed and breakfast or whatever and make a nice dinner for. Which I'm not going to do every single day. I can make dinner every single day but I'm not going to make something fancy every single night. Dude is going to have to be good with just mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak.

I don't think they're going to do all of that every single day, let alone one day of a week. But special occasions are just nice and it's nice when people remember them and make an effort.

I'm a little bit traditional.

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So . . . is there a place in Scripture that tells me now to give my wife a card and flowers and a box of chocolates?

Isnt' being obedient to God showing love for each other?

Much love!
What is wrong with christians celebrating valentines day or any other holidays, you're joining yourself at the table of demons with the heathens

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Kind and willing heart, for sure, but I would think that would be a given. But less on receiving, I really would like to have someone to surprise with a special bed and breakfast or whatever and make a nice dinner for. Which I'm not going to do every single day. I can make dinner every single day but I'm not going to make something fancy every single night. Dude is going to have to be good with just mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak.

I don't think they're going to do all of that every single day, let alone one day of a week. But special occasions are just nice and it's nice when people remember them and make an effort.

I'm a little bit traditional.
I guess as long as no one is held accountable for forgetting to do something special on that day? I wonder how serious some take it, and how much weight that they put into it? One should be able to measure the health and functionality of one's relationship, not by what was done on Valentine's day, but what is the overall perception that one has of their spouse, and the security that one feels with each other, all year round.

My hypothetical wife can cook mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak for me every single day of our lives, as long as I know that she longs to gain wisdom from God, and that I can rely on her any minute that I need her, of any day of the year. ...chocolates, ski trips, concert tickets or any sort of pampering, will never replace these two ideals.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckieLady