Should christians stop celebrating Valentine's day

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess as long as no one is held accountable for forgetting to do something special on that day? I wonder how serious some take it, and how much weight that they put into it? One should be able to measure the health and functionality of one's relationship, not by what was done on Valentine's day, but what is the overall perception that one has of their spouse, and the security that one feels with each other, all year round.

My hypothetical wife can cook mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak for me every single day of our lives, as long as I know that she longs to gain wisdom from God, and that I can rely on her any minute that I need her, of any day of the year. ...chocolates, ski trips, concert tickets or any sort of pampering, will never replace the these two ideals.

I think that most people don't take it that seriously (ski trips, concerts, and all) unless it's some kind of status thing. I've probably celebrated two Valentine's Day for real and I think that I remember them all being pretty basic. I think small gestures are sweet but outlandish consumerist ones are a tad overwhelming and too much pressure.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think that most people don't take it that seriously (ski trips, concerts, and all) unless it's some kind of status thing. I've probably celebrated two Valentine's Day for real and I think that I remember them all being pretty basic. I think small gestures are sweet but outlandish consumerist ones are a tad overwhelming and too much pressure.
...yes, I cited things that I was passionate about just for the sake of expressing how enticing gifts can be, but didn't mean to equate their cost with a typical Valentine's Day celebration.
Point being, anything material or secular, irrespective of how often one is conferred such gifts, does not compare to the all-year-round comfort and peace that a wise character can offer. Thus, with such a comparison, Valentine's Day actually becomes trivial and offensive.

Reactions: DuckieLady

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is wrong with christians celebrating valentines day or any other holidays, you're joining yourself at the table of demons with the heathens
No I'm not. I'm not worshiping false gods, I'm showing love to my wife. These are very different things.

I think maybe I asked this before . . . do you use the accustomed names for the day of the week? Or do you call them the first day, the second day, like that? If you use 'Saturday', aren't you giving homage to Saturn? 'Sunday', to the sun? Like that?

Much love!

Reactions: April_Rose

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should christians stop celebrating valentines day? There is no commandment innscripture to do so. I wonderwhat God is thinking about right now, the things that his children should not associate with.
It's a celebration of 'eros' love. It's where we get our word 'erotic'. It's a celebration of physical attraction and pleasure. As long as that is celebrated within the confines of God's will for a man and his wife there is no problem.

15Drink water from your own cistern,
running water from your own well.
16Should your springs overflow in the streets,
your streams of water in the public squares?
17Let them be yours alone,
never to be shared with strangers.
18May your fountain be blessed,
and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.
19A loving doe, a graceful deer—

may her breasts satisfy you always,
may you ever be intoxicated with her love.

20Why, my son, be intoxicated with another man’s wife?
Why embrace the bosom of a wayward woman? Proverbs 5:15-20

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know I really don't get it. The Bible says that we should honor our spouses and marriage (even though when you're dating somebody you should honor them too) is supposed to be holy. Aren't we honoring God when we honor them? Seems a bit hypocritical to think that we should stop to me.

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know I really don't get it. The Bible says that we should honor our spouses and marriage (even though when you're dating somebody you should honor them too) is supposed to be holy. Aren't we honoring God when we honor them? Seems a bit hypocritical to think that we should stop to me.

Just going to say it.

I think in way this is a prime example of how spiritual abuse works. Someone wants someone to go their way and they twist the word to their advantage and it's abused. If that person truly doesn't believe they should celebrate Valentine's Day under God's command, then we have to leave them to it.

Romans 14:23
"But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin."

Having said that, I am not convinced that this is an issue of strictly Biblical conviction but hatred for something else; whether that be bitterness due to singleness, corporations and money, something to do with modern day feminism or that culturally there's a higher expectation of men, or otherwise.

There is no way you can compare burning people to death as a form of worshipping false Gods to saying "hey happy valentines day" There is obviously something else that isn't being said and that's fine, but taking things out of context and twisting their meaning to validate anger is unnecessary and vile.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank God my wife no longer desires flowers on Valentine's Day. They are getting way too expensive! :D
Trader Joe's!

A Dozen Roses with Greens
From February 10th thru February 14th, you’ll find A Dozen Roses with Greens in our fresh flowers section for $12.99.

97990-97991-dozen-red-roses-2018.jpg

Much love!

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question should be, why do you wait til valentines day to make more special? Is there is any foreshadow and future kingdom purpose for it? Is there a biblical support that tells us that it is ok to celebrate holiday, a non biblical command which it come from pagan roots?

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question should be, why do you wait til valentines day to make more special? Is there is any foreshadow and future kingdom purpose for it? Is there a biblical support that tells us that it is ok to celebrate holiday, a non biblical command which it come from pagan roots?

Do you celebrate Christmas and Easter?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should christians stop celebrating valentines day? There is no commandment innscripture to do so. I wonderwhat God is thinking about right now, the things that his children should not associate with.
If it doesn't go directly against the Bible, it just depends on how the Holy Spirit leads you.

Being secular in origin, we have no Biblical reason to defend it, either.

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it doesn't go directly against the Bible, it just depends on how the Holy Spirit leads you.

Being secular in origin, we have no Biblical reason to defend it, either.
It depends on how the holy spirit leads you? That doesn't make since at all. The holy spirit does not goes against the Word of God, but lead you and speak to the truth.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The holy spirit does not goes against the Word of God,...
This is true, but sanctification does not happen all at once;
He does not teach us all there is to know about God's Word all at once.
Legalism attempts to, but fails miserably at it.

The Holy Spirit draws us at a pace that we can manage;
He postpones some lessons (with grace) until we are ready & able to hear them.
(And that teaching sequence varies from one Christian to another.)
We all end up at the same place, however, according to 1 John 3:2.

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just don't see God let his bride (Israel) adopt a pagan festival , just like Israel did, when she commit adultery by serving after other gods that they do not know. Then God punished and put her in exile because her sins she committed. I believe we are same doing the same way by serving after other gods that we do not know.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people like to call any holiday pagan as I'm noticing :( They find some loose association and deem it evil. Which is being judgmental.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people like to call any holiday pagan as I'm noticing :( They find some loose association and deem it evil. Which is being judgmental.
And at the same time we call the Jewish Holidays evil. No offense to anyone, but we just can't win. Are we really not supposed to have any holidays? How dreary!