Should I Lose Weight?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha ha, that's actually pretty funny...

However, I'm kinda ripped...so...

Good one!

Heh, I'm not a bodybuilder but according to the chart above, I'm obese. Yep, it's pretty funny. Most people estimate I weigh 170 pounds based upon how I look... nope. Try 210. Why? Muscle tissue is more dense than fatty tissue, hence a pound of muscle is more compact than a pound of fat.

Years ago a doctor cracked me up when she declared that I was obese. The criteria? An unrealistic height and weight chart like the one above. "Do I look obese to you, doctor?", I asked. "No." they said, "but according to the chart you are." Hahaha!

Reactions: Tone and April_Rose

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A better chart. This is the U.S. Army's height and weight standards for males and females, but the military makes allowances for an individual with greater muscle mass than the norm. A bodybuilder will be given a waiver because they're heavier than others.

Attachments

• Army-Height-And-Weight-Chart.jpg
    Army-Height-And-Weight-Chart.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: April_Rose

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I still meet the Army's standard for my age (over 40) +2 pounds, which wouldn't require a waiver. Most people either gained or lost weight after Basic Training was complete, but not me. My weight didn't change. Genetics plays a larger role than many realize, no doubt. My father was 3 inches shorter than I was but I outweighed him by 50 pounds. I've been slim my entire life and this is explained by muscle mass.

Shattered

Mar 25, 2021
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@April_Rose , here's my recommendation for you.

1. Eat when you're hungry and only when you're hungry. I eat the equivalent of one meal per day and I'm in excellent health. My blood panels and lab work testify of that.
2. Don't eat according to a schedule at prescribed times of day. Break yourself of that habit.
3. Protein-rich foods are great because they offer you "more bang for the buck." Fish is perfect. Chicken is also good.
4. You don't have to "work out" in order to get in shape. Walk...swim... ride a bike, but mostly walk. If the store is a mile away, walk instead of driving there.

Habits are what you need to change. Junk food --- processed food --- is a disaster. Here's my rule of thumb: the more work you have to devote to preparing a meal, the better. Of course this means cooking! Use whole ingredients, even if it's something as simple as chicken, mashed potatoes, and a vegetable.

Carry packets of peanuts with you to munch on. Avoid candy bars... I know that one is rough. :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@April_Rose , here's my recommendation for you.

1. Eat when you're hungry and only when you're hungry. I eat the equivalent of one meal per day and I'm in excellent health. My blood panels and lab work testify of that.
2. Don't eat according to a schedule at prescribed times of day. Break yourself of that habit.
3. Protein-rich foods are great because they offer you "more bang for the buck." Fish is perfect. Chicken is also good.
4. You don't have to "work out" in order to get in shape. Walk...swim... ride a bike, but mostly walk. If the store is a mile away, walk instead of driving there.

Habits are what you need to change. Junk food --- processed food --- is a disaster. Here's my rule of thumb: the more work you have to devote to preparing a meal, the better. Of course this means cooking! Use whole ingredients, even if it's something as simple as chicken, mashed potatoes, and a vegetable.

Carry packets of peanuts with you to munch on. Avoid candy bars... I know that one is rough. :)
Good advice there, and almonds are good too. Eat healthy, stay active and don't snack.

Reactions: Shattered

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that's the case, leave well enough alone. As long as your weight more or less corresponds to your height (height/weight ratio) you should be fine.
9ed33a98540ab3c9a7bf6aac44f686b3.jpg
Are you sure this is accurate? I'm 4'11. Was stuck at 98 for the longest time and have been trying to gain weight. Stepped on a scale at Goodwill for fun and found out I'm 103. Still trying to gain. But if I remember right, the target on this chart (117) is at the tip of healthy BMI.

I know that this might seem like a rather dumb question, but I have found that I don't fit into my old clothes anymore so I've been buying newer clothes that fits me. I feel comfortable with my weight, but at the same time I'm not sure if I really should be losing weight for health purposes. Any advice on what I should do?
Check your BMI on a BMI calculator. :) If theres no health risk then I wouldn't worry about it. But exercise is good for the WHOLE body.

I had a beauty school mom, so I'm a big fan (when it comes to new clothes) of knowing what your body type is and figuring out what looks best for your figure. Not really related but it's fun!!!

(ALL of these things should be fun)

Reactions: April_Rose and Tone

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been on a weight loss journey for over six weeks.

I have learned a few things.

1. Slow and sustainable is the way to go.

Its all about building increasingly healthier habits over time. Fad diets may get you results fast but because they aren't meant to be long term, you gain the weight right back.

2. Do what works for you.

For me personally, what worked was learning proper portion sizes. I still eat fun foods and treats, I just eat less of them. I also exercise 5-6 times a week either walking or High Intensity Interval training aka Hiit.

At first, eating smaller portions kind of stinks but if you give it a month, you get used to it.

You can even halve your portions of restaurant food and take-out and save the rest for later.

However, if this doesn't work for you and you've given it a fair shot then that's totally fine.

Some people meal prep. Some track calories to create a calorie deficit. Some do low carb. But what is most important are things you can do that you're willing to do the rest of your life. So be realistic in making your plan, even if your weight loss takes more time.

3. Do what you love.

If running isn't your thing, dance. Not a dancer? Walk! The exercise you find enjoyable will be more effective than what some outside person says you should be doing.

Don't cut out all your favorite foods! The only thing you need to lose weight is to have less calories in than out. You can do that by eating a lot of salads, fruits and vegetables but you can also do it by limiting your fun foods and eating smaller potions of them.

I have lost 6-8 llbs in six weeks. I still eat treats, pasta, fats, etc. Because I know that if I restrict too much, I will rebel and eat all the carbs. I want to not only lose weight but maintain it once I get to my goal.

4. Give yourself permission to have all kinds of foods.

If you are just dying to eat chocolate, just have some. Do not create a lot of guilt around food. Just have a bit and keep it moving.

5. Don't expect instant results.

It takes patience and time to see results. I still look the same as I did six weeks ago. But Im not giving up.

6. Track your progress in multiple ways.

Not just the scale, take occasional progress photos, check how your clothes fit, notice your mood, your fitness level, the impact you have on others, etc.

I print out a monthly calendar and track my workouts to celebrate my progress.

I also watch a lot of encouraging weight loss Youtube videos and listen to the podcast Half Size Me for motivation.

7. Do it from a positive place.

Do it for your health and because you want to be a good steward of your body. Be patient with yourself and try not to talk down to yourself. Accept how you are right now, flaws and all, and it will make the journey easier and more enjoyable.

Ultimately this world and our bodies are passing away so we can be content that our beauty comes from Christ in us, not just our appearance.