Should I Try And Change Their Minds?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, it's from a movie called Finian's Rainbow and the man on the far right is a leprechaun in human form. :)

Yeah,.. I really don't think I'm going to after all but thanks for the advice anyways. :)

Oh, you are anticipating the coming saints day...I assume.

Okay, well, have you had supper yet?

Reactions: April_Rose

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I had McDonald's but we're getting off the subject lol

Fancy a spot o tea do ya?

McDonald's huh...I haven't had that in ages...

Dbl. Royale with cheese...per chance?

Also, isn't this thread...dead...since you've opted out?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Out of sheer curiosity I was looking at an atheist forum because I was really curious on what looked like and I saw that they allowed theists too for debate. So I started having certain thoughts on whether or not I should join to try and show them that God is real and convert them but then I saw all of the nasty things that they were posting about Him and what if my faith is challenged too much and they make me start doubting myself? So I'm sort of looking for advice on this one. No matter what I don't want my relationship to be harmed so that's a definite reason for me to say NO.
Don't.

It's their camp, respect them their and don't try to burst in & change folks minds.

Reactions: April_Rose and DNB

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @April_Rose
...I just pray for them :)
A very good strategy IMO!
Matthew 5:44-45 (NKJV)
44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Out of sheer curiosity I was looking at an atheist forum because I was really curious on what looked like and I saw that they allowed theists too for debate. So I started having certain thoughts on whether or not I should join to try and show them that God is real and convert them but then I saw all of the nasty things that they were posting about Him and what if my faith is challenged too much and they make me start doubting myself? So I'm sort of looking for advice on this one. No matter what I don't want my relationship to be harmed so that's a definite reason for me to say NO.
Of course not AR, you're showing way too much trepidation already, that such an immoral and unrestrained crowd will devour anyone that exudes hesitation or doubt. They won't necessarily outsmart you, but they will try to intimidate and abuse.
Like @Nancy said, such a challenge should be reserved for the highly astute and experienced in these matters. And as @Jane_Doe22 said, you weren't necessarily invited, so they don't owe you the time or even the respect.
If you're having doubts AR and have too much to lose, they are not an empathetic and compassionate crowd, they will get the last word no matter how wrong and shallow that they are.

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Do you appreciate it when Jehovah's Witnesses come to your house and try to persuade you of their convictions? If you're like most people, the answer is a resounding no. By joining that site and trying to proselytize, you would be doing pretty much the same thing as the JWs have done to you. The atheists on that site won't appreciate it either, and will just reject your argument and tell you to get lost. I beg you to leave them be because it'll be a wasted effort.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, isn't this thread...dead...since you've opted out?

Nah,.. I'm still interested in what other people have to say and I just edited my beginning post because even though I'm pretty sure that everybody knew I was talking about the fact that I didn't want to harm my relationship with Christ, It forgot to put that part.

Do you appreciate it when Jehovah's Witnesses come to your house and try to persuade you of their convictions? If you're like most people, the answer is a resounding no. By joining that site and trying to proselytize, you would be doing pretty much the same thing as the JWs have done to you. The atheists on that site won't appreciate it either, and will just reject your argument and tell you to get lost. I beg you to leave them be because it'll be a wasted effort.

Good point.

Reactions: Tone

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Yes. I had McDonald's but we're getting off the subject lol

Hello April, to ad want DNB was saying;

These God haters are far more nefarious and wicked as what meets the eye.
They don't need proof for Gods existence, they will instead stop at nothing to out number you, abuse you to try to pull you down from your faith.

AuthorJC

Mar 15, 2021
Lubbock
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Debating an atheist is an act of vanity. You are not really debating them, you are trying to comfort yourself over the nasty, biting doubts you harbor against the whole idea of God and heaven. Atheists will not be won over by reason, because the gospel is not reasonable according to human understanding. Human understanding tells us to acquire, grow, procreate, and feel as much as we can before we die. The gospel tells us to forsake the flesh for that which is not visible to our eyes. Faith is, by every human definition, an unreasonable and even silly thing to consider until you come to terms with the fact that all things are vanity. Death and entropy are the only real and permanent things, if God be a lie, in which case do whatever you desire, for tomorrow we die.

I am going to suggest something shocking. Every living thing which crawls upon the earth knows that God exists, right down at the root of their very consciousness, from the lowliest bottom-feeding prawn to the modern-day Albert Einsteins among us. But, all living things have the ability to ignore what they know within themselves, if knowing it competes against our fleshly desires. We all have the ability to make the nose on our face vanish from our eyes. If you don't believe me, close one eye and look into the inner corner. There it is, big as life, for both eyes singly. But with both eyes open it just disappears. Humans have the ability to do the same with everything and anything in their lives. If you know a narcissist, they prove that with their every word and action.

Atheists know God exists, right down in their spiritual guts, beyond the reach of their meager intellect's ability to dismiss. Debating them is pointless. The rat will run the maze following the exact same path it knows will lead to the cheese. All you can do is shine the light of Christ and be patient, praying and waiting for God to move in them. Prayer is the only device which might reach them. Words they will not hear.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Out of sheer curiosity I was looking at an atheist forum because I was really curious on what looked like and I saw that they allowed theists too for debate. So I started having certain thoughts on whether or not I should join to try and show them that God is real and convert them but then I saw all of the nasty things that they were posting about Him and what if my faith is challenged too much and they make me start doubting myself? So I'm sort of looking for advice on this one. No matter what I don't want my relationship with Christ to be harmed so that's a definite reason for me to say NO.

Should I Try And Change Their Minds?

This has never saved anyone, as it is the heart that needs changing, which only God the Holy Spirit is able to do. No amount of human reasoning and argument "wins" the lost soul to Jesus, but the application of The Living Word of God. Notice in Acts chapter 2, after Peter's sermon on the Day of Pentecost, that those listening to the Gospel Message, "they were cut to the heart" (verse 37), and asked, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”, to which Peter responds, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit". True "conviction" of sins can only come by the Holy Spirit (John 16:8-9), when the Gospel Message is preached which can produce saving faith in the sinner (Romans 10:17), etc

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Out of sheer curiosity I was looking at an atheist forum because I was really curious on what looked like and I saw that they allowed theists too for debate. So I started having certain thoughts on whether or not I should join to try and show them that God is real and convert them but then I saw all of the nasty things that they were posting about Him and what if my faith is challenged too much and they make me start doubting myself? So I'm sort of looking for advice on this one. No matter what I don't want my relationship with Christ to be harmed so that's a definite reason for me to say NO.

I do exchristians site some, not much. If someone is really determined to stay in ignorance it is a tuff one. And they love to torment those's that have anything to say that doesn't line up with their stupidity. Atheism is a ministry field for someone that has the patience and can take some torment.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

First I commend you for your willingness to wade into the deep end of those toxic waters with athiests.

2. YOu can never change their mind and that is not your job! Your job is to present the facts and sow the seed of the gospel. The Holy Spirit does the mind changing.

3. Doubting yourself comes with the turf of going out to share th egood news with those who may be opposed to the gospel. God will lead you thourgh those valleys of the shadows of death back into His glorious light. Never be afraid of facing giants of doubt. God will deal well with them.

Keep up the good work!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stay golden sis.!

Thanks Johnny. :D

I am going to suggest something shocking. Every living thing which crawls upon the earth knows that God exists, right down at the root of their very consciousness, from the lowliest bottom-feeding prawn to the modern-day Albert Einsteins among us. But, all living things have the ability to ignore what they know within themselves, if knowing it competes against our fleshly desires.

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I do not believe that animals know that God exists and definitely not plants.

Reactions: Tone

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@April_Rose you don't seem the type that would benefit from trying to convert atheists. I would stay out of there if it annoys you. But typically what is good doctrine is that we create a fire of the Holy Spirit as a congregation and then bring the cold coals (atheists) into the fire to warm them up, not bringing the hot coals (Christians) into the cold to warm up the cold coals (atheists). Stick with the fire.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Recently you posted a teedering post.
Would suggest strengthing you, before jumping in a viper den.
(BTW- hearing reading Gods Word, quickest way to receive increased Faith).

God Bless,
Taken

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@April_Rose
Been there. Done that.
I don’t feel called to do that again.
Many years ago a Christian brother asked me to join him on such a forum to help him fight against them. For me it was an experience, but I would not recommend it anyone else unless they really feel called by God to enter into such a place.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of Jonah when God called him to go preach to the people of Nineveh. One thing not often mentioned by people discussing Jonah was that Nineveh was undoubtedly at the time a den of iniquity. Going to such a place when you are not led there by God could certainly be tempting God. You never want to do that!