Should I Try And Change Their Minds?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Out of sheer curiosity I was looking at an atheist forum because I was really curious on what looked like and I saw that they allowed theists too for debate. So I started having certain thoughts on whether or not I should join to try and show them that God is real and convert them but then I saw all of the nasty things that they were posting about Him and what if my faith is challenged too much and they make me start doubting myself? So I'm sort of looking for advice on this one. No matter what I don't want my relationship with Christ to be harmed so that's a definite reason for me to say NO.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Out of sheer curiosity I was looking at an atheist forum because I was really curious on what looked like and I saw that they allowed theists too for debate. So I started having certain thoughts on whether or not I should join to try and show them that God is real and convert them but then I saw all of the nasty things that they were posting about Him and what if my faith is challenged too much and they make me start doubting myself? So I'm sort of looking for advice on this one. No matter what I don't want my relationship to be harmed so that's a definite reason for me to say NO.

Hi @April_Rose
I wouldn't dare try to do that unless I was an ace apologetic! They have their talking points to make us stumble. Up to you of course if you feel led to do this but, I would hate to see it end badly...I just pray for them :)

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Out of sheer curiosity I was looking at an atheist forum because I was really curious on what looked like and I saw that they allowed theists too for debate. So I started having certain thoughts on whether or not I should join to try and show them that God is real and convert them but then I saw all of the nasty things that they were posting about Him and what if my faith is challenged too much and they make me start doubting myself? So I'm sort of looking for advice on this one. No matter what I don't want my relationship to be harmed so that's a definite reason for me to say NO.

Hmmmm, this sounds interesting...I never considered this angle. I enjoyed challenging them to do more than just think about things on CF. What forum are you talking about, if you don't mind?

As for you, id say that there's nothing wrong with "... doubting [yours]self" and remember that there is nothing you can do to show them that God is real, we must be in prayer that His Power shows through.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus didn't convert anybody through distant messaging. He did it by loving them through action, then followed up by presenting Himself as their Savior. Even then, many rejected Him, even calling out crucify Him, crucify Him, at His fake trial.
No atheist will ever be converted through online discussions unless genuinely seeking for answers... But they wouldn't go to an atheist forum for that. They'd come here. Or to church.
I don't come here to convince people to join my church. Yes, everything I contribute to this forum is as a member of my church, and most reflect my church's teachings. But I'm not here to convince anyone to become a Seventh Day Adventist. I'm here to present Jesus from an SDA perspective. I'm here to hopefully make people think. I used to use another username... Brakelite. And that's all I wanted to do... shine a light to cause people to take stock of where they are, take evasive action if necessary... Maybe change direction... Maybe even stop. But above all, simply to consider. To think. And I still get stick just for that. On a Christian forum.
I've interacted with atheists before. Hated every moment. The abuse... Not against me... But against God, was more than I could handle. And the more I said, the worse it got. It was like I was provoking the insults. Just by saying the truth. I knew I wasn't responsible, any more than Jesus was responsible for that insults to Himself.
I would strongly suggest you don't go there. I've seen you get offended by things spoken to you here by believers. No offense, but you are not the thick skinned type to be able to tolerate opposition. For your own sanity, stay away.

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I took a course in college on Logic...…..low and behold the professor was a atheist he brought up the subject of God and he stated he was going to prove God does not exist. I raised my hand and told him when he dies 2 seconds in hell will change his mind. He failed me in this class.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do not fall for their "gotcha" posts. Be led by the Spirit and he will guide you into all truth, But you will meet resistance, your faith will be tested, but sometimes this is a good training ground. The Simplicity of the Gospel, is what will carry you through, vs. the complexity of Atheism.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm, this sounds interesting...I never considered this angle. I enjoyed challenging them to do more than just think about things on CF. What forum are you talking about, if you don't mind?

As for you, id say that there's nothing wrong with "... doubting [yours]self" and remember that there is nothing you can do to show them that God is real, we must be in prayer that His Power shows through.
When someone just wants to debate and argue, there is almost always a deeper issue going on, and if God brings you into contact with someone like this, He will give insight ... He will often open our own understanding to give words we wouldn't have even thought of on our own. But He doesn't stop there, as He desires to get to their heart. It isn't the intellect that saves us ... it's when God meets with us on a heart level that our walls begin to crumble. These people don't need debates. They need their hearts healed. They need to come face to face with the True and Living God. And if we aren't walking in that heart to heart place with Him where we know Him and can hear Him, it would not be wise to then try and confront people who only want to have an intellectual argument. They are blinded by anger, hurts, pain... and until they are confronted with His undeniable truth and love, no amount of debating will profit. When we walk into their presence, we need to do so under the leading, power, and direction of Holy Spirit.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've had discussions with literally thousands of Atheists online for almost 20 years now. Some just short conversations and some that lasted several months.

The ones that will only talk science and physical proof of God are just looking to argue, but the ones who think they know the scripture and use it to prove inconsistencies are the ones you can put back on their heels and make them think.

Of the thousands I've met, not one had any comprehension of the spiritual aspect of the scripture. They are spiritually discerned.

If you're going to take up discussions with them, go to the Gospels, their favorite place, and brush up on the spiritual meanings of what Christ said. They love to go to the Gospels to prove inconsistencies, most of it is pure ignorance, but they are famous for making a big deal of virtually nothing.

If you can take control of the conversation (with time you will learn how), take them to what Christ is trying to accomplish in that given scripture, there is always a spiritual aspect concerning Christ. They will try to get around it, but you will learn how to hold them down.

If you can learn to take what Christ said and deliver the spiritual meaning of it using other scripture, making the literal and spiritual come alive before their very eyes, you have given them something they have never seen.

It makes them think, it gives them something they have never thought about. But you have to keep your cool, if not, it's just another argument.

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When someone just wants to debate and argue, there is almost always a deeper issue going on, and if God brings you into contact with someone like this, He will give insight ... He will often open our own understanding to give words we wouldn't have even thought of on our own. But He doesn't stop there, as He desires to get to their heart. It isn't the intellect that saves us ... it's when God meets with us on a heart level that our walls begin to crumble. These people don't need debates. They need their hearts healed. They need to come face to face with the True and Living God. And if we aren't walking in that heart to heart place with Him where we know Him and can hear Him, it would not be wise to then try and confront people who only want to have an intellectual argument. They are blinded by anger, hurts, pain... and until they are confronted with His undeniable truth and love, no amount of debating will profit. When we walk into their presence, we need to do so under the leading, power, and direction of Holy Spirit.

Well said sister!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ones that will only talk science and physical proof of God are just looking to argue, but the ones who think they know the scripture and use it to prove inconsistencies are the ones you can put back on their heels and make them think.

Of the thousands I've met, not one had any comprehension of the spiritual aspect of the scripture. They are spiritually discerned.

If you're going to take up discussions with them, go to the Gospels, their favorite place, and brush up on the spiritual meanings of what Christ said. They love to go to the Gospels to prove inconsistencies, most of it is pure ignorance, but they are famous for making a big deal of virtually nothing.

If you can take control of the conversation (with time you will learn how), take them to what Christ is trying to accomplish in that given scripture, there is always a spiritual aspect concerning Christ. They will try to get around it, but you will learn how to hold them down.

If you can learn to take what Christ said and deliver the spiritual meaning of it using other scripture, making the literal and spiritual come alive before their very eyes, you have given them something they have never seen.

It makes them think, it gives them something they have never thought about. But you have to keep your cool, if not, it's just another argument.
Excellent! Appealing to the heart rather than intellect. (Sometimes God leads in that direction of addressing a topic intellectually, but He always goes to the heart!)
Argument for the sake of "being right" is of no profit.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Isn't it interesting to realize that to be against God is actually admitting He's real... As, how can you argue against what isn't real?
Why would you, as that would be kinda nutz.

A.) Trying to prove God isn't there, proves you believe He's there.

Also ....Always use this simple argument when you are dealing with a God hater or Christ denier. (Atheist). (Agnostic).
Tell them this....> You can't prove that God does not exit.<
They can't.
All they can prove is that they are trying to prove He is not there, and that is their opinion, and nothing more.
They can talk about "big bang" and "Scientific theory", and "evolutionary theory", or whatever, but all that is just dodging the reality.

So, always tell them......>You can't prove that God does not exist<. And leave them with that one.
You do that and you've given them the correct answer that God can use.
Dont try to argue, as they have more arguments then you have hair or patience.
Just put that seed in their mind....= >you can't prove that God does not exist<. You can only prove that you don't think He exists.
They will yell, hate, spit, ...but, they can't overcome that reality check.

Also, you can't convert an Atheist, because you can't convert anyone.
God does the converting. The Holy Spirit does the convicting and leading.
Your duty, mine, is to share the truth. WE are "Salt and Light". We are ARROWS that point to the WAY.
"Jesus is the WAY."
You can lead them to the Cross, but you can't make them kneel. God is responsible for opening their heart so that they will want to kneel.
We can't cause anyone to become a Christian.. That is not our place.
Our place is to share the Love of God, and know what we are talking about.

Our "job" is to put out the effort, but the end result is God's domain.
God leaves the effort to us and we leave the RESULTS to God.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent! Appealing to the heart rather than intellect. (Sometimes God leads in that direction of addressing a topic intellectually, but He always goes to the heart!)
Argument for the sake of "being right" is of no profit.

I did it wrong in every way imaginable for years. Then I finally got the message, you have to show them Christ.

There is no other reason for one to engage with an atheist but to show them Christ!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

atheistforums.org but I'm probably not going to sign up. I decided that I don't want the hassle.

Reactions: Tone

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yeah @April_Rose , if you do decide to go on a missionary journey unto the far away land of Atheist Forum, it is wise to take a fellow believer along.

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yw...

Oh yeah, I've been curious about your avatar pic...splain pleese?

Sure, it's from a movie called Finian's Rainbow and the man on the far right is a leprechaun in human form. :)

Oh yeah @April_Rose , if you do decide to go on a missionary journey unto the far away land of Atheist Forum, it is wise to take a fellow believer along.

Yeah,.. I really don't think I'm going to after all but thanks for the advice anyways. :)

Reactions: Tone