Should one be baptized again?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you don't feel sufficient with your infant baptism, then go ahead and get baptized as an adult. If you do, I don't think getting baptized again is necessary.

Paedobaptism vs Credobaptism

The issue is debated: A Paedobaptist Position with R.C. Sproul vs A Credobaptist Position with John MacArthur

If you were baptized as a child but feel insufficient about it, you should get baptized as an adult.

If you were baptized as an adult but feel insufficient about it, then go ahead and get baptized again as an adult.

If you were baptized as an adult twice but feel insufficient about it, you must ask yourself: When will it be enough?

The usual practice is that you get baptized exactly once.

See also Is baptism necessary for salvation?.

Marcipa

Apr 13, 2024
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got baptized again. The reason being, I was raised Catholic and they just sprinkled us for baptism. I was an infant. Hardly saved since I had no knowledge of what was happening. Once I got saved I got baptized again with a good old fashion dunking. Best day ever!

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Marcipa

Apr 13, 2024
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism declares that you are a follower of Jesus Christ. It is a public confession of your faith in, and commitment to, Jesus Christ. It is the next step after salvation through repentance and faith and is an important foundation for Christian life. Straight of the Hillsong Church site.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't feel sufficient with your infant baptism, then go ahead and get baptized as an adult. If you do, I don't think getting baptized again is necessary.

The issue is debated: A Paedobaptist Position with R.C. Sproul vs A Credobaptist Position with John MacArthur

If you were baptized as a child but feel insufficient about it, you should get baptized as an adult.

If you were baptized as an adult but feel insufficient about it, then go ahead and get baptized again as an adult.

If you were baptized as an adult twice but feel insufficient about it, you must ask yourself: When will it be enough?

Been there, done that. I got baptized as an infant, though it was more a dedication service than an actual baptism into Christianity. Actual conversion takes place through Spirit Baptism, when a person consciously accepts Christ and Christ is invited to live within the person for eternity.

Water Baptism is a ritual designed for new converts or for religious people who never fully understood Christian truth in order to repent. Religious ritual does nothing if it isn't saying what the rituals depicts. An infant's "baptism" does not tell the story of an infant converting to Christ! So, it must be about the dedication by the parents of the child to Christianity.

Water Baptism was never meant to be established as a sacramental rite or requirement. It was recommended as a means of establishing in public a Christianity that had already been accepted. There is value in making that public testimony, and so it was encouraged, not as a sacrament, but as an act of repentance and as an act of witness.

Baptism was associated with Salvation not as a necessary requirement for Salvation, but rather, as a public confession of that Salvation. We should testify to a choice we've already made for Christ!

I was baptized as an infant, and believed in and followed Christianity throughout my upbringing, being raised in a Christian family. But there was a time when I was tempted to be like my peers in the pagan world, and I consciously chose to backslide. When I found out how bad that turned out, I returned to practicing full Christianity in repentance. And because Christian friends in the Jesus Movement encouraged baptism as adults I got re-baptized.

Looking back at this, I got re-baptized only because of a fear of some legalistic requirement that Christians get baptized as adults. I completely reject this now, though it certainly didn't hurt me to get dunked in the lake and make my return to Christianity more public than it already was--it was already very public! ;)

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: be baptized again?

Precious friends, I was traditionally 'watered' as a rcc infant, found The Real Jesus at 27, was
Baptized With One [ Spiritual ] Baptism but, being a 'babe In Christ' did not yet realize it,
at that time.

Next, some time later [ sharing my new-found faith with relatives ], was referred to a coc
preacher, showed [ some cherry-picked verses about water ], and exhorted to do it immediately
[ was I still lost? ], but said, I'm ok [ knowing I was already saved ], I will wait until the next
Sunday service. [ never went back... ]

Next, still growing from a 'babe', left the [ water the infant ] traditions { not found in Scripture }
of the 'reformed' denomination, searched, and saw prayer answered to go to a baptist church.
Again, question about water arose, with a new 'explanation' [ their 'tradition' ], so [ still learning/
growing ] went along with it, and got RE-watered again!

Many years passed, prayerfully, carefully, and diligently studying my Bible and God Was Gracious,
Leading me to His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided, Which Then Led me to [ Finally realize ] the
knowledge of Only One [ Spiritual ] Baptism For us, Today, Under Grace.

My personal full studies, clearing up all my previous Confusion about the water 'traditions' above,
and several other traditions that I found:

Divider Poll
+
13 Bible baptisms

"God Is not the author of confusion, but of​
Peace!..." (1 Corinthians 14:33 AV)​
From Christ, ↑ ↑ ↑, To me, 44 years ago! (The ONE 'Constant' amidst many changes in life!)

Amen.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyChanYT

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Baptism by immersion is for believers only! It is an act one does after one gets saved. Infant baptism does not count as being baptized. Unless one can prove that the infant made a conscious intellectual decision to receive christ as Savior before their baptism- it is a useless work. They need to be baptized as a believer.

Marcipa

Apr 13, 2024
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never read any place in my Bible that spoke of sprinkling.

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a child, I was raised as a Catholic. When a baby, I was baptized by a Catholic priest. I left the Catholic Church in the early 70's (after reading the scriptures) when I was 21 years old. At that time, I consciously accepted Jesus as my Savior and repented of my sins. So, if I don't get baptized again, by immersion, then I am banned from Heaven?

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador