Should you study Koine Greek and ancient Hebrew?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you have to learn Greek and Hebrew to understand the bible fully?

No one can fully understand the Bible. If you study the Koine Greek and ancient Hebrew languages, it will help you understand some verses better. It is not a requirement to know God who dwells in you.

If you are interested in grammar and syntax, then yes. If not, then no. E.g., are you interested in reading something like Grammatical Mood on a daily basis?

Some claim:

I was listening to a wonderful Bible scholar and he said you should at least know the Greek and Hebrew alphabet to appreciate the deeper meaning of scripture.
That's superficial. Knowing the spellings does not give you that advantage. Worse, it makes you think that you have that advantage over people who can't spell in Greek or Hebrew.

The best way to learn Greek or Hebrew is to study it in a classroom setting from a professor.

Bottom line: Studying grammar is a serious business. If you enjoy doing lexical-syntactical analysis, then go ahead.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No one can fully understand the Bible. If you study the Koine Greek and ancient Hebrew languages, it will help you understand some verses better. It is not a requirement to know God who dwells in you.

If you are interested in grammar and syntax, then yes. If not, then no. E.g., are you interested in reading something like Grammatical Mood on a daily basis?

Some claim:

That's superficial. Knowing the spellings does not give you that advantage. Worse, it makes you think that you have that advantage over people who can't spell in Greek or Hebrew.

The best way to learn Greek or Hebrew is to study it in a classroom setting from a professor.

Bottom line: Studying grammar is a serious business. If you enjoy doing lexical-syntactical analysis, then go ahead.
My brother sometimes sends me a video of Rob Plummer, to discuss a particular passage in the Greek: A Daily Dose of Greek I think it's a good exercise if one has the time. I spend my time elsewhere, but I do make use of my brother, who has done much of the hard work for me. :) Happily, he has studied and is studying Hebrew, as well. I don't do so well reading backwards. ;)

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Some claim:

Yes, if you want to.