Sights, sounds and smells

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I attended a Catholic Mass where incense was used. It was, I don’t know… different. But the smell did remind me of my college dorm.

Anybody know what the incense represents?

Rev 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

Heb 8:5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

heb 9:1 Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.

2 For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.

3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;

4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There isn't any biblical justification for burning incense any more than there is a biblical justification for offering animal sacrifices. The incense burning ritual was symbolizing something greater: the prayers that are offered to God by His followers. If someone is going to argue that the rituals of the tabernacle/temple services are not to be practiced under the current covenant, they would have to be just as consistent in arguing against incense burning as they are with sacrificing animals for forgiveness.

While God instituted the use of incense for the tabernacle/temple services, the reasons why people usually burn incense have absolutely nothing to do with worshiping Him.
It’s a Jewish tradition which was probably passed to gentiles.
Here’s a full description here: Why Is Incense Used During Mass? | EWTN
The fact that Lev. 26 shows God prophesying that the Israelites would eventually burn incense to false gods like the heathens around them shows this custom existed long before there was a such thing as a Jew.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There isn't any biblical justification for burning incense any more than there is a biblical justification for offering animal sacrifices. The incense burning ritual was symbolizing something greater: the prayers that are offered to God by His followers. If someone is going to argue that the rituals of the tabernacle/temple services are not to be practiced under the current covenant, they would have to be just as consistent in arguing against incense burning as they are with sacrificing animals for forgiveness.

While God instituted the use of incense for the tabernacle/temple services, the reasons why people usually burn incense have absolutely nothing to do with worshiping Him.The fact that Lev. 26 shows God prophesying that the Israelites would eventually burn incense to false gods like the heathens around them shows this custom existed long before there was a such thing as a Jew.

everything pertaining to the old covenant and commanded by God are patterns
PATTERNS of the heavenly reality that we (Christians) now posses! Heb 9
Heb 10:1

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i was just given a diffuser with lavender with it. i dont think its pure essential as some oils out there such as young living claims. but i have a concern about some titles young living gives. i guess its better to breathe in pure oil than a chemical though