Sights, sounds and smells

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, I’ve seen the logic of most members here regarding worshipping of icons, but what’s your take on incense?
Is it evil?
Is it okay?
Or it doesn’t matter much to you?

Thanks.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I attended a Catholic Mass where incense was used. It was, I don’t know… different. But the smell did remind me of my college dorm.

Anybody know what the incense represents?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incense is ceremonial and not necessary. I attended a funeral of a family member of my husband's and the incense was horrible ....so thick I had trouble breathing.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the link, Gary. So, incense represents the prayers of the saints, and creates the ambience of Heaven. I hope they thin it out a bit up there, or sister TLHKAJ won’t want to go. :D

Reactions: GaryAnderson

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the link, Gary. So, incense represents the prayers of the saints, and creates the ambience of Heaven. I hope they thin it out a bit up there, or sister TLHKAJ won’t want to go. :D
Yeah, lol ...there are a few reasons I wouldn't want to go (strong doctrinal differences). But yes, I've been that way all my life. I can't handle cigarette smoke and can detect it a mile away, and incense is the same effect.

Reactions: Lambano

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, I’ve seen the logic of most members here regarding worshipping of icons, but what’s your take on incense?
Is it evil? Is it okay? Or it doesn’t matter much to you?
Incense is definitely not evil, but neither is it for Christian worship and you will not find it mentioned in the New Testament. It was strictly for temple worship under the Old Covenant. What happened though is that some people mistakenly tried to imitate temple worship during Christian worship. Thus the imitation of priestly garments, the use of incense, the lighting of candles (instead of the menorah), etc. This showed a poor understanding of the difference between the Old and New Covenants. But that is how it is in Catholic and Orthodox churches.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, lol ...there are a few reasons I wouldn't want to go (strong doctrinal differences). But yes, I've been that way all my life. I can't handle cigarette smoke and can detect it a mile away, and incense is the same effect.

Lol, you reminded me something in regards to cigarette smoke.
Back in the early 90s when you could smoke indoors, I used to love playing pool. Played for hours. But when you went to the arena or bar where I played, there was a thick cloud of smoke. lol. By the time I left, my hair and clothes used to smell like cigarettes.
I’ve never smoked myself but got enough second hand. Lol

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Lambano

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incense is definitely not evil, but neither is it for Christian worship and you will not find it mentioned in the New Testament. It was strictly for temple worship under the Old Covenant. What happened though is that some people mistakenly tried to imitate temple worship during Christian worship. Thus the imitation of priestly garments, the use of incense, the lighting of candles (instead of the menorah), etc. This showed a poor understanding of the difference between the Old and New Covenants. But that is how it is in Catholic and Orthodox churches.

‘Is this a bad thing in your view though? Because it sounds like you’re not very strictly against it.
If Catholics want to worship Jesus using incense, why would that be a bad thing?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is it evil?
Is it okay?
Or it doesn’t matter much to you?

Thanks.
It's never mattered to me as I have never belonged to a fellowship where incense was used. One of the magi brought incense to Jesus when he was a young child.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
‘Is this a bad thing in your view though? Because it sounds like you’re not very strictly against it.
No there's nothing bad about it at all. The problem is that under the New Covenant, the incense which God appreciates is in Heaven, and mingled with the prayers of the saints (Rev 8:3,4). That is because the true temple is in Heaven.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am looking into essential oils. a few people i know sell young living essential oils. a lot of hippie yoga type people burn incense. i don tthink its an issue if your heart is in it. i hear lavender oil is relaxing. this could be good to help someone draw to pray if they are having anxiety or trouble sleeping.
one night i read out of a hymnbook to go to sleep.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
one time i was smelling an apple scent which made me happy. no one burned anything. but i wondered if it was a scent to calm me.

one time when my bird died she seemed to glow and then i saw a bird shadow fly on the wall and ceiling. it was interesting.