Signs & Miracles that are false duplications?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we sift through all the things that we are seeing as Christ says affliction, violence, false christs and false signs, and wonders so deceptive that even the elect were in danger of being deceived.

Matthew 7:15
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Acts 8:9
But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

Revelation 19:20
And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

For a starting point lets go over how to distinguish true from false gifts, and start with scripture. Since the true gifts are from God, they will:
1. Agree with scripture.
2. Produce the gifts of the spirit.
3. Lead people to a closer walk with God.

It is easy to claim false gifts if one is not firmly grounded in scripture, we also see true gifts and they will be dispensed as God sees fit for the furtherance of the work, not as many say they have. So how can we test whether the Signs & Miracles are true or evils false duplications?

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe focus on the real enemy
...the devil.
If you attack the body of Christ, then when you need a miracle, you will have damaged your faith to the point of receiving nothing.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we sift through all the things that we are seeing as Christ says affliction, violence, false christs and false signs, and wonders so deceptive that even the elect were in danger of being deceived.

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

For a starting point lets go over how to distinguish true from false gifts, and start with scripture. Since the true gifts are from God, they will:
1. Agree with scripture.

It is easy to claim false gifts if one is not firmly grounded in scripture, we also see true gifts and they will be dispensed as God sees fit for the furtherance of the work, not as many say they have. So how can we test whether the Signs & Miracles are true or evils false duplications?
Those are good starting points.
4. Pray
Some have the spiritual gift to discern evil spirits. I think I have that one. But not Christians do. We are all given certain spiritual gifts, need to know what they are, and need to use and share them. As long as you pray daily, and include specific details concerning currents events that effect you;
5. have faith and trust in the Holy Spirit, Who will guide and protect you.
"God causes all things to work for good for those who love Him, for those whonare called to His purpose."

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...the devil.
If you attack the body of Christ, then when you need a miracle, you will have damaged your faith to the point of receiving nothing.
What do you mean? I think the question Hobie is asking is how do we know who the body of Christ members are?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. Agree with scripture.

In John 6, Jesus faced those seeking the miracles he performed in feeding them by the loaves & fishes, rebuking them for they sought only the signs of the miracles.
This was their answer; verse 30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?
In verse 29, he had already told them this, .................. , This is the work of God, that ye BELIEVE on him whom he hath sent.

Today it is much the same: Ppl want to be excited or fantasized, hyped up by those things they see; rather than by doing what God says. He called them a wicked & adulterous generation Matthew 16.

Many make gain or profit for their bank account using this strategy, to dazzle & wow ppl by claiming to perform miracles.....we can all probably name a few..lol

However this is a promise to believers;
John 14
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Does this detract from God in those whom are saved ? I think it depends on the depth of our spiritual growth and if we are seeking a grounded life in the word or do we just want to be dazzled. Then I don't believe we will be deceived!

Not that the signs are not to be a part of the believers life.

Mark 16:17-20
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following . Amen.

It is a fine line, test everything by prayer.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. Agree with scripture.

I think it is crucial to not call God's miracles evil. That is the unforgivable sin. God kills, wounds, heals and makes alive:

Deuteronomy 32:39 ‘Now see that I, even I, am He, And there is no God besides Me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; Nor is there any who can deliver from My hand.

And that is why the elect are deceived. I don't think anyone can discern anything else correctly. Maybe it's better to be deceived rather than call God's miracles evil.

In the bible God kills to protect the good. And he heals as he desires.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1. Agree with scripture.
It is also important to understand why the gifts were given in the first century….and if they were to last.
The gifts were given by God to show that his favor had shifted from the apostate Jewish system to the new Christian arrangement, under a completely new covenant.
Paul said that the gifts were to attract spiritual babies who would begin by taking in the “milk” of the word…..but like all babies, they would grow and get teeth and be able to chew solid spiritual food. (Heb 5:12-14)

1 Cor 13:9-13….
But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. 9 For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially, 10 but when what is complete comes, what is partial will be done away with. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, to think as a child, to reason as a child; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a child. 12 For now we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face-to-face. At present I know partially, but then I will know accurately, just as I am accurately known. 13 Now, however, these three remain: faith, hope, love; but the greatest of these is love.”

The “gifts“ were to get Christianity off the ground, so to speak….to attract people by showing the power of God in performing supernatural miracles. But once the “babies” began to mature, the gifts were no longer necessary….Paul said that “faith, hope and love” were now the identifying traits of mature Christians.

And Jesus himself said that, at the judgment, those who who were part of the coming apostasy, (falling away) would be performing “powerful works”, claiming that Jesus was their ”Lord”.

“Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’”.

So just because people can speak in tongues, or do anything else in a supernatural way, doesn’t mean that it’s God spirit doing these things…..Jesus says he has NEVER known these ones, so it’s not God’s power at work, but satan’s.

Since the gifts were to cease…..it’s pretty clear to me that all such displays in our day are counterfeits.
The gifts are not necessary today and haven’t been for centuries, because they have already fulfilled their part in drawing people to Christ.

I have witnessed to some who spoke in tongues and many confess to faking it because it is expected as a proof that they have the spirit.

Nor are today’s miracles the same as those performed in the first century…..the so called faith healers of today have a lot of failures, and many of the “cures” are the result of the placebo effect, which science cannot seem to explain……whereas there were no failures to cure diseases and infirmities in Jesus’ day….and we do not see anyone raised from the dead….satan’s power is limited.

After the death of the apostles, true Christians were not identified by their powerful works, but by the love they have for one another. (John 13:34-35)
The gifts died with the only ones who could pass them on to others….Christ’s apostles.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...the devil.
Well many say they are doing things from God, and yet....

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well many say they are doing things from God, and yet....
Some have unlimited to time to obsess over things they themselves are ignorant of.
Apparently the man lives for free in your mind.
Obsession over things that you are not even remotely interested in.
(The authority of the believer and faith)

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those are good starting points.
4. Pray
Some have the spiritual gift to discern evil spirits. I think I have that one. But not Christians do. We are all given certain spiritual gifts, need to know what they are, and need to use and share them. As long as you pray daily, and include specific details concerning currents events that effect you;
5. have faith and trust in the Holy Spirit, Who will guide and protect you.
"God causes all things to work for good for those who love Him, for those whonare called to His purpose."
That are some good points, but some get so excited and worked up they miss the danger signs to say nothing of forgetting to take it to God..

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno