So are you Hyper Grace or Legalism or Neither?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which do you identify with

• Hyper Grace

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Legalist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I started getting back into the debate areas recently and noticed two extremes.

1. Hyper Grace.
2. Legalism

I fall in a category in the center, I'm neither Hyper Grace, nor Legalistic. So I wanted to start a poll to see what others here believe.

Feel free to explain how your either are or are not a legalist, hyper grace, or neither.

Reactions: MatthewG

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. Hyper Grace.
2. Legalism

I fall in a category in the center, I'm neither Hyper Grace, nor Legalistic. So I wanted to start a poll to see what others here believe.

Feel free to explain how your either are or are not a legalist, hyper grace, or neither.
"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

So then, who is on the Lord's side?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

So then, who is on the Lord's side?
People that died and were brought into heaven?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. Hyper Grace.
2. Legalism

I'm neither.

I don't see how obeying the Commandments makes somebody a legalist, but on this forum, that is what you are automatically labeled if you believe Christians should obey them.

Legalism says: you must obey the Commandments in order to be saved.

I say: those who are saved, obey the Commandments.

There is a difference AND ... the above is exactly what the Bible teaches.

Reactions: dev553344

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. Hyper Grace.
2. Legalism

When the Lord led me to repent of sin I was committing, my life was transformed, and when I witness to this, some people insinuate I am legalistic.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm neither.

I don't see how obeying the Commandments makes somebody a legalist, but on this forum, that is what you are automatically labeled if you believe Christians should obey them.

Well I was referring to obeying the law of love your neighbor as spelled out in Matthew 25:35-40. We should obey that command. And all fall short of perfection which makes us sinners.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps some people get led by false spirits. Sometimes the holy spirit.
People who have received the Holy Spirit are only led by false spirits because they have quenched instead of following the Holy Spirit of God. How does one avoid that?

"Pray without ceasing." I Thess 5:17

"Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice" Phil 4:4

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

Reactions: APAK

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Lord led me to repent of sin I was committing, my life was transformed, and when I witness to this, some people insinuate I am legalistic.
I'm not perfect. And I rely on the Lord for salvation because of it. If God forgave me and I tried to walk perfectly I would fail. :(

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm neither.

But no that's not legalism. Legalism would be if God forgave me and I lived by obey the commandments and felt I didn't sin. When in fact I wasn't perfect and sinned out of imperfection of Christs teaching. Then my lie would be that I never sinned and it would be legalism.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would you fail?

Matthew 19:21-26

King James Version

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 19:21-26

King James Version

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
Just do what the Lord told you to do. It's not always easy, but when you fail, pick yourself up and try again.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just do what the Lord told you to do. It's not always easy, but when you fail, pick yourself up and try again.
Yes then I rely on the mercy of God. But still desire to follow Jesus' teachings, all of them.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I was referring to obeying the law of love your neighbor as spelled out in Matthew 25:35-40. We should obey that command. And all fall short of perfection which makes us sinners.
But you listed Legalist as one of the options.

Do you believe obeying the Law of Loving your neighbor makes somebody a Legalist?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But no that's not legalism. Legalism would be if God forgave me and I lived by obey the commandments and felt I didn't sin. When in fact I wasn't perfect and sinned out of imperfection of Christs teaching. Then my lie would be that I never sinned and it would be legalism.
Contrary to a lot of the naysayers, and long drawn out debates, here, perfection is actually a condition of the heart. It is not obeying all of the Commandments 100% perfectly all day, every day.

See here:
"Let your heart therefore be perfect with the Lord our God, to walk in His statutes, and to keep His Commandments, ..."
1 Kings 8:61

If our heart is perfectly set upon the Lord and His Ways, His Spirit assists us in our sincere efforts, and James 3:2 has our back when we stumble.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. Hyper Grace.
2. Legalism

i had to go with neither for my choice. Salvation is by God’s choice alone, the doctrine of election. I do believe that if you are saved, then you’ll Change how you live and think, not in order to keep your salvation, but because of gratitude of your salvation.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a loaded question. Everybody has their own opinions of what constitutes legalism, and most "Christians" would define legalism as keeping God's commandments to any degree because they want God to give them everything while doing absolutely nothing.