Some of the serious NT warnings to the churches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Rom 2:6-9 --- God will give eternal life to those who persistently continue in going good,
------------- but wrath and anger to the selfish who do not obey the truth and follow evil.
Rom 8:13-14 - If you live according to the flesh, you will die, but if by the
------------- Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live
------------- (for as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God).
Rom 12:1-2 -- It is the good, acceptable, perfect will of God that you present your bodies
------------- as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God (its your reasonable service).
1 Cor 6:9-10- Do not be deceived, unrighteous sinners will not inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Cor 9:27 -- Paul disciplined his body unto subjection so he would not be disqualified.
1 Cor 12:12 - Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
1 Cor 15:1-2- You are saved by the gospel, if you hold fast that word
------------- which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
2 Cor 11:3 -- Satan deceived Eve by his craftiness, so beware that your minds
------------- may not be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
2 Cor 13:5 -- Examine yourself to see if you are in the faith, maybe you are disqualified.
Gal 5:19-21 - Those who practice works of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:24 ---- To belong to Christ crucify the passions and desires of the flesh.
Gal 6:7-9 --- Do not be deceived, God is not mocked - he who sows to his flesh will
------------- reap corruption, and he who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life,
------------- if he does not lose heart.

Eph 5:3-6 --- Do not be deceived, no sinner has any inheritance in the kingdom of God.
Eph 5:8-9 --- Walk as children of light, finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.
Eph 5:26-27 - Jesus will present to Himself a glorious church without spot
------------- or wrinkle, so that she should be holy and without blemish.
Phil 2:12 --- Work out your salvation with fear and trembling - God is working in you.
Phil 2:14-16- Become blameless and pure without fault, holding firmly to the word of life.
Col 1:22-23 - Jesus will present you holy, blameless, and above reproach,
------------- if you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast and unmovable.
Col 3:5-6 --- The wrath of God is coming upon those who don’t crucify their earthly nature
Heb 3:12-15 - Beware of any evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God,
------------- lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
------------- For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning
------------- of our confidence steadfast to the end.

Heb 4:11 ---- Be diligent lest anyone fall according to examples of disobedience.
Heb 6:4-8 --- Those who have been enlightened, have experienced the Holy Spirit, have
------------- appreciated the Bible, if they fall away can never return to repentance
------------- (they have re-crucified the Son of God and subjected Him to public disgrace).
Heb 12:14 --- Pursue holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.
1 Pet 1:15-16 Be holy in all your conduct, because “Be holy, for I am holy”.
Rev 2—3 ----- JC: Christians must be overcomers in order to sit on Jesus’ throne, etc.
------------- JC: Christians must repent of their sins, wrong-doings, etc.
------------- JC: Christians who are lukewarm Jesus will vomit out of His mouth.
Rev 21:7-8 -- JC: overcomers will inherit all things, sinners will be in the lake of fire.
Rev 21:27 --- The impure, shameful, deceitful, etc. will never enter the New Jerusalem.
Rev 22:14-15- JC: the obedient have the right to the tree of life, and may enter the City.

These Scripture passages support the doctrine of conditional security.

If you believe in eternal security (OSAS) …
do you have any good explanations for why these verses are in the NT?

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Great Post!
What part of San Diego do you live in? I live in Lakeside is why I ask.
God is trying to get us to not seek the lusts of the flesh by evil doings, but to seek to walk in the righteous ways of the One who is the giver of life and ALL THINGS to those who love His Son and obey.

Might I add, who would want to live eternally in poverty, sickness, disease ? But until we understand that only by obeying the Voice of God to be a doer of the Word and not just a hearer only can we live a stress free disease free and abundant & prosperous life being IN CHRIST. As you have shown, the curse comes on those who reject to do the will of God, they are thrown into FIRE(tormented) daily trying to fend for themselves but everything keeps going WILD and bringing misery to their existence.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Galatians 5:24-26 is the best explanation.

24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

26 Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.

Possibly a better term for what you call warnings is identifiers for those not walking in the Spirit. Also some of these can be viewed as exhortations for cooperation with sanctification. Finally to show to those who were being influenced by the message given by the Jews or Hebrews of that day that these were false teachers.

Galatians 5:4-10

4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

5 For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness.

6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.

7 You were running well; who hindered you from obeying the truth?

8 This persuasion did not come from Him who calls you.

9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough.

10 I have confidence in you in the Lord that you will adopt no other view; but the one who is disturbing you will bear his judgment, whoever he is.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Maybe some of you need a jump-start.

IMO, I have displayed great mercy by NOT posting ...
ALL of Jesus' MANY WARNINGS from the gospels!

Here's a simple example ...

Jesus said if you do NOT forgive everyone for their trespasses,
Father God will NOT forgive you of your trespasses!

IMO, this is a flat-out blanket warning to everyone who reads it.
And it is either to be taken seriously or ignored.

I've had this revelation for years:

If a person dies with unforgivness in his/her heart, they will NOT be welcome in Heaven!

The above is a simple example of why I've been asking elsewhere:
Can a born-again Christian actually NOT be part of the elect?
I.E. Can he/she refuse to be sanctified (by the Holy Spirit) unto holiness?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told this shows both sides of the coin, but does it?

Jude 21
keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
Jude 24
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless …

Verse 24 doesn't say He WILL, just that He is able to.
IMO, He is able, if Jerry co-operates!
How is He able, if Jerry enforces his free-will and does not co-operate?
Will He over-ride Jerry's free will? No way.
Then they come back and say, "Jerry never was born-again."
And I say, "Jerry never was part of God's elect."

Axehead

May 9, 2012
justaname said:
I think Galatians 5:24-26 is the best explanation.

24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

26 Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.

Possibly a better term for what you call warnings is identifiers for those not walking in the Spirit. Also some of these can be viewed as exhortations for cooperation with sanctification. Finally to show to those who were being influenced by the message given by the Jews or Hebrews of that day that these were false teachers.

Galatians 5:4-10

4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

5 For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness.

6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.

7 You were running well; who hindered you from obeying the truth?

8 This persuasion did not come from Him who calls you.

9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough.

10 I have confidence in you in the Lord that you will adopt no other view; but the one who is disturbing you will bear his judgment, whoever he is.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

And they, that are NOT Christ's may say they have accepted Him, but have not and do not crucify the flesh with it's affections and lusts, therefore, anyone who has not crucified the flesh regardless of what they say, ARE NOT CHRIST'S. Seem's pretty simple to me.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
John Zain said:
Maybe some of you need a jump-start.

IMO, I have displayed great mercy by NOT posting ...
ALL of Jesus' MANY WARNINGS from the gospels!

Here's a simple example ...

Jesus said if you do NOT forgive everyone for their trespasses,
Father God will NOT forgive you of your trespasses!

IMO, this is a flat-out blanket warning to everyone who reads it.
And it is either to be taken seriously or ignored.

I've had this revelation for years:

If a person dies with unforgivness in his/her heart, they will NOT be welcome in Heaven!

The above is a simple example of why I've been asking elsewhere:
Can a born-again Christian actually NOT be part of the elect?
I.E. Can he/she refuse to be sanctified (by the Holy Spirit) unto holiness?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a load of legalistc dung! Jesus was speaking in the context of the old covenant of the law in that passage. Many of His remarks concerning the way to life were intended to do just what the law was given to do; that is to take away the hearer's confidence in his own abilities concerning justification before God. If this is not the case, then He was in contradiction with His own words in John 3:16, and in John 6:50,51. The contradictions that appear to exist on this subject are merely a misunderstanding as to the context in which they were given and to whom the passages refer to.

There are at least two places in the new testament, after His death, where we are told to forgive others just as we have been forgiven. Under the law, no one could comply with the demands to its satisfation. Under grace, the demands of the law were fulfilled by Jesus on our behalf. If a person dies with unforgiveness in his heart, he will not lose his eternal life if he dies with the same faith and humility that he had that brought this life to him in the first place. This is confirmed in Heb.3:12-15, which is quoted in the op, as well as Col.1:22.23, also quoted there. Our confidence, mentioned in the Hebrews reference, is not in our own righteousness or obedience to law, but it is in the sacrifice of Jesus. This must be understood, or one will be in a heap of bondage in thinking he must be the savior of his own life by his own effort. When I have more time, I will gladly go through the other quotes and explain them in their intended use and context.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
williemac said:
"If a person dies with unforgiveness in his heart, he will not lose his eternal life if he dies with the same faith and humility that he had that brought this life to him in the first place."
Willie,

Are you saying the converse is true. That if one dies with unforgiveness in their heart and they don't have the same faith and humility they had when they first came to the Lord, they will be lost?

Heb_3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Heb_3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Axehead said:
Willie,

Are you saying the converse is true. That if one dies with unforgiveness in their heart and they don't have the same faith and humility they had when they first came to the Lord, they will be lost?

Heb_3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Heb_3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
Good question. But I think the bible is clear from passages such as those you provided that since faith is the means by which we receive life, then the turning from faith would be the only means by which a person could lose it.

I want to add another remark in response to the op. There seems to be no lack of op suggestions lately to the effect that we are on thin ice and can lose our salvation if we are either under achieving, under performing, or sinning, or all of the above. The problem I have with this is found in the promise to Abraham that his descendants would be numbered as the sand of the sea, which is confirmed in John's revelation of those gathered around the throne...a multitude that could not be numbered. Go figure!! The op would suggest that this number is near impossible given the tough line to toe.

As well, it should be mentioned that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. In response to the op. reference of Eph.5:3-6, we might want to consider that there are two natures present within us. In our body...our flesh and blood, resides the sin. But that part of us is already considered dead, crucified with Christ (positionally). The sin in us is doomed to perish. But there is another man within us called the new man...created righteous and holy (Eph4:24). This new man has no sin and is eternal. Any present sin is not attributed to this new man. It cannot be.

Here is a concern; There is talk of a falling away from the faith. But what will they fall into? Sin? Well, how about the possibility that they will fall into the same fault that the Galatians did? The attempt to be justified by the works of law. That is what is most disturbing to me in the op. It would seem to promote a self saving mentality. Self justification. Galationism!

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Willie,

Several Scripture passages warn EVERYONE that if they are sinning (habitually),
they will be SHUT OUT of the New Jerusalem, Heaven, etc. and salvation ...
but never fear, they will NOT be shut out of Hell.

BTW, my favorite one is the grievous sin of lying, which God calls an abomination!
There are many warnings about this big-time sin all throughout the Scriptures.

If you have eyes to see, read the Scriptural warnings!
But, I suggest that before you start reading to wake up.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
williemac said:
Good question. But I think the bible is clear from passages such as those you provided that since faith is the means by which we receive life, then the turning from faith would be the only means by which a person could lose it.

I want to add another remark in response to the op. There seems to be no lack of op suggestions lately to the effect that we are on thin ice and can lose our salvation if we are either under achieving, under performing, or sinning, or all of the above. The problem I have with this is found in the promise to Abraham that his descendants would be numbered as the sand of the sea, which is confirmed in John's revelation of those gathered around the throne...a multitude that could not be numbered. Go figure!! The op would suggest that this number is near impossible given the tough line to toe.

As well, it should be mentioned that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. In response to the op. reference of Eph.5:3-6, we might want to consider that there are two natures present within us. In our body...our flesh and blood, resides the sin. But that part of us is already considered dead, crucified with Christ (positionally). The sin in us is doomed to perish. But there is another man within us called the new man...created righteous and holy (Eph4:24). This new man has no sin and is eternal. Any present sin is not attributed to this new man. It cannot be.

Here is a concern; There is talk of a falling away from the faith. But what will they fall into? Sin? Well, how about the possibility that they will fall into the same fault that the Galatians did? The attempt to be justified by the works of law. That is what is most disturbing to me in the op. It would seem to promote a self saving mentality. Self justification. Galationism!
[SIZE=14.666666984558105px]Whenever one speaks of obedience to Jesus there are those who say that is the wrong message and is simply "works", that "we are not judged by our underachieving or underperforming." Yet, the issue is not one of underachieving or underperforming. The issue is one of belief or unbelief. [/SIZE]Not of professing Christ, but one of "possessing Christ."[SIZE=14.666666984558105px] That is what the Scriptures talk about. Others, always want to reinterpret the Scriptures to say that they are not referring to "achieving or performing" or the converse of "underachieving or underperforming." Nothing could be farther from the truth. Of course, obedience is not done in the flesh (nor could be), but in cooperation (and response to) the Spirit of Christ. One who knows the Lord (is a possessor of Christ) and will have the requisite fruit in their life, [/SIZE]and that, Jesus said is the proof of their spiritual condition.

Though some who call themselves "Christians" seem to be oblivious to the misrepresentations of their lives. Not performance, MISREPRESENTATION.

Many who call themselves "Christians" seem to be oblivious to and unconcerned about the fact that the character of their behavior is selfishly misrepresentative of Jesus Christ, and fails to manifest the "fruit of the Spirit" (Gal. 5:22,23). And I believe that Jesus clearly indicated that a person's spiritual condition would be evidenced by the "fruit" of his behavior (Matt. 7:16-23).

"Since a Christian is a "Christ-one" (Christ dwelling within) in whom the Spirit of Christ dwells (Rom. 8:9), if the character of Christ is not being evidenced in a person's life then it is legitimate to question whether that individual is a Christian despite his profession to the contrary. It is not possible to be a nominal Christian "in name only," or a depository Christian who claims to have received or accepted Christ into his heart but has no evident desire for intimacy with the living Lord Jesus and no apparent growth in character expression. Those who seem to be content with a false hope that they have a ticket to heaven, or a pass to wave at St. Peter when they get to the pearly gates of Paradise must be confronted with the fact that it is possible to be a professor of Christ who is not a possessor of Christ. Christian salvation is not a static transaction whereupon one "got saved" at a particular point in time by engaging in prescribed activities. Salvation involves being "made safe" from the dysfunction of satanically abused humanity, in order to function as God intended as the expressive vessel of divine character. Genuine Christianity must not adapt itself to the games that the world plays with names, labels, and positions. Christianity is the dynamic reality of the living Christ within us functioning as Savior, continuing to save us from the dominations of sinful patterns in our lives as He overcomes such by His character." Jim Fowler.

Christian literature throughout the ages has consistently explained that the superficiality of easy-believism does not constitute genuine Christianity. A.W. Pink cautioned,
"Do not suppose that the Gospel is magnified or God glorified by going to the worldlings and telling them that they may be saved at this moment by simply 'accepting Christ' as their Savior, while they are wedded to their idols, and their hearts are still in love with sin. If I do so, I tell them a lie, pervert the gospel, insult Christ, and turn the grace of God into lasciviousness."

The missionary statesman, Norman P. Grubb, wrote,
"The only infallible, inexorable consequence of a sinner receiving salvation is not always made plain by Gospel preachers. It is often easy to get the impression that it is certainly necessary to have our sins forgiven, to be delivered from the wrath to come, to receive an assured entrance into heaven; but to submit to the total control of Christ is something which may and should follow, but does not necessarily do so; and even that it is possible to enjoy the former without the latter. Nothing could be more false or absurd. *********There is no salvation conceivable, possible or actual, other than God's way in infinite grace of destroying the false form of life in which man lives, and replacing it by the true. The false form of life is that which has "self" in the centre; the true form of life is that which has God at its centre - Christ living in me."*********

We are to test the spirits and not just believe that everyone who professes Christ is a possessor of Christ. Test the spirits meaning, does one have the spirit of Christ or not.

Axehead

Jesus has always said, that we are to come to Him with our whole heart and not to be joined to anything (idols) else in our heart but Him.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
John Zain said:
Willie,

Several Scripture passages warn EVERYONE that if they are sinning (habitually),
they will be SHUT OUT of the New Jerusalem, Heaven, etc. and salvation ...
but never fear, they will NOT be shut out of Hell.

BTW, my favorite one is the grievous sin of lying, which God calls an abomination!
There are many warnings about this big-time sin all throughout the Scriptures.

If you have eyes to see, read the Scriptural warnings!
But, I suggest that before you start reading to wake up.
There is such a warning in Luke18:10-14. In it, Jesus speaks of two men praying. It happens that the one man, a Pharisee, was doing all the right things. But in his prayer, he boasted about that fact. In the other case, the sinner merely beat his breast, confessed his sin, and asked for mercy. Jesus said that it was this man that went away justified and not the other. As Jesus said, he who humbles himself will be exalted, and he who exalts himself will be humbled.

I have no issue with the exhortations in scripture that urge men to keep themselves from sin. That is not my point. What I have issue with is the false gospel of self salvation. I assure you that there will be no cause for boasting before God about one's good behavior. This is not what saves us. In fact, if anyone thinks his good behavior is helping him attain or retain eternal life, then he has succumbed to the same fault that the Galatians did, as well as the Pharisee in Luke 18. 1John2:1 states that we ought not to sin. Amen! But it also states that if anyone does sin, he has an advocate with the Father; Jesus Christ.

I marvel at the ignorance of those who promote this false gospel of salvation by way of good behavior. What does this say about the sacrifice of Jesus? How fickle is it to be forgiven sin only on a condition that one stops sinning. James declared that if one fails on any point of the law, he becomes guilty of the whole law. Here is what that boils down to: If anyone has just one little sin in his life or in his heart, he is guilty of murder, lying, homosexuality, fornication, drunkenness, etc....the whole nine yards.
If anyone wants to stand before God and be judged by how well behaved he is, with the hope that he will be granted eternal life for it, he had better have lived a perfect life. Hey, I have some bad news for this person...It is impossible.

Let's just review this dilema. We know that sin is transgression of law. Therefore if one is not sinning, he is keeping the law. The other way to say it is that if one is keeping the law, he is not sinning. So congratulations! Those who feel that we must abstain from sin in order to keep or attain eternal life are actually saying that salvation is by the law.

In Rev.2:20, Jesus is confronting some of His servants for committing sexual immorality and eating things sacrificed to idols. You would think that they are going to be warned in the same way you talk of warnings, right? Sorry, not the case. Jesus simply warns them that unless they repent of these deeds, they will be cast into great tribulation. This is a serious warning about a serious consequence. However, this is not about casting them out, it is about this little thing called....chastening.

The doctrine of good behavior salvation that is promoted on this thread leaves no room for the thing that Jesus promised..." All those whom I love, I rebuke and chasten".

He is our advocate with the Father. His sacrifice keeps us in good standing. But in our relationship with Him, He will correct those things that some say will condemn us. Give Him a little credit. Give His great painful sacrifice a little more credit. It was not in vain. We cannot add to what it accomplished with our pathetic stab at a righteous lifestyle. In this life we will not even come close to the righteousness that is in store for us in eternity. We have this treasure in earthen vessels (2Cor.4:7)..." That the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us". In other words..stay humble. Your works cannot save you.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
williemac said:
There is such a warning in Luke18:10-14. In it, Jesus speaks of two men praying. It happens that the one man, a Pharisee, was doing all the right things. But in his prayer, he boasted about that fact. In the other case, the sinner merely beat his breast, confessed his sin, and asked for mercy. Jesus said that it was this man that went away justified and not the other. As Jesus said, he who humbles himself will be exalted, and he who exalts himself will be humbled.

I have no issue with the exhortations in scripture that urge men to keep themselves from sin. That is not my point. What I have issue with is the false gospel of self salvation. I assure you that there will be no cause for boasting before God about one's good behavior. This is not what saves us. In fact, if anyone thinks his good behavior is helping him attain or retain eternal life, then he has succumbed to the same fault that the Galatians did, as well as the Pharisee in Luke 18. 1John2:1 states that we ought not to sin. Amen! But it also states that if anyone does sin, he has an advocate with the Father; Jesus Christ.

I marvel at the ignorance of those who promote this false gospel of salvation by way of good behavior. What does this say about the sacrifice of Jesus? How fickle is it to be forgiven sin only on a condition that one stops sinning. James declared that if one fails on any point of the law, he becomes guilty of the whole law. Here is what that boils down to: If anyone has just one little sin in his life or in his heart, he is guilty of murder, lying, homosexuality, fornication, drunkenness, etc....the whole nine yards.
If anyone wants to stand before God and be judged by how well behaved he is, with the hope that he will be granted eternal life for it, he had better have lived a perfect life. Hey, I have some bad news for this person...It is impossible.

Let's just review this dilema. We know that sin is transgression of law. Therefore if one is not sinning, he is keeping the law. The other way to say it is that if one is keeping the law, he is not sinning. So congratulations! Those who feel that we must abstain from sin in order to keep or attain eternal life are actually saying that salvation is by the law.

In Rev.2:20, Jesus is confronting some of His servants for committing sexual immorality and eating things sacrificed to idols. You would think that they are going to be warned in the same way you talk of warnings, right? Sorry, not the case. Jesus simply warns them that unless they repent of these deeds, they will be cast into great tribulation. This is a serious warning about a serious consequence. However, this is not about casting them out, it is about this little thing called....chastening.

The doctrine of good behavior salvation that is promoted on this thread leaves no room for the thing that Jesus promised..." All those whom I love, I rebuke and chasten".

He is our advocate with the Father. His sacrifice keeps us in good standing. But in our relationship with Him, He will correct those things that some say will condemn us. Give Him a little credit. Give His great painful sacrifice a little more credit. It was not in vain. We cannot add to what it accomplished with our pathetic stab at a righteous lifestyle. In this life we will not even come close to the righteousness that is in store for us in eternity. We have this treasure in earthen vessels (2Cor.4:7)..." That the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us". In other words..stay humble. Your works cannot save you.
Sin is more than just the transgression of the law. That is a partial truth.

The Law revealed this partially in its essential purpose. The "mark that is missed" in sin is not a Law target, BUT THE CHARACTER OF GOD.

I explain more fully, HERE.

There are definitely many gospels of "self-salvation" as well as gospels of "false security".