Someone explain please!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vindicated

May 21, 2008
1 Chronicles 18:4 "And David took from him a thousand chariots, and seven thousand horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen: David also houghed all the chariot horses, but reserved of them an hundred chariots."2 Samuel 8:4 "And David took from him a thousand chariots, and seven hundred horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen: and David houghed all the chariot horses, but reserved of them for an hundred chariots."One says seven hundred horseman one says 7 thousand. i believe they are talking about the same thing? if not can someone explain? this is really confusing me...

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(Vindicated;50198)
1 Chronicles 18:4 "And David took from him a thousand chariots, and seven thousand horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen: David also houghed all the chariot horses, but reserved of them an hundred chariots."2 Samuel 8:4 "And David took from him a thousand chariots, and seven hundred horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen: and David houghed all the chariot horses, but reserved of them for an hundred chariots."One says seven hundred horseman one says 7 thousand. i believe they are talking about the same thing? if not can someone explain? this is really confusing me...
Vindicated, In reading some of the old accounts of numbers in the Hebrew Scriptures, there seems to be discrepancies, but not necessarily so. According to Cooks Commentary, this account is talking about two different battles. Notice in verse 1Chron 18:4 Dadadezer is going to set up his control. Then notice at 2Sam 8:4, where it says that Hadadezer was going to set up his control AGAIN. Hadadezer had lost a battle and was going to set up control a second time. The difference in the soldiers killed on foot may have been because of the rough ground many of the charioteers had dismounted and were killed as foot soldiers. The account is correct from whatever perspective it was written from!! There is a more complete account of this whole battle recorded at 2Sam 10:15-19.