Spiritual Armor Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
downloadfile-18.jpg

Bible says to not fear around 365 times in God's Word. I feel bad with anxiety being my major struggle/stronghold in my life. But I have gained endurance and overcame in this area quite a bit over the years. I no longer self injure and have more moments without fear then in it. I am not on medicine, but thinking about getting back in it, just because I maybe do a bit better sometimes. I believe that is perfectly fine, but the Word of God does heal. God is a miracle worker and I will keep believing in Him for perfect peace in all areas of life. I believe one day I'll have these complete steel plated shoes of peace for battle (some mighty comfy ones), and they will be my most treasured armor. Because I want to lift others up and encourage others in faith. I want to be able to go to any place and share the Gospel, not fearing anything, because God is my life. But from these scriptures I get:

1) Peace is a strength and a blessing of God

2) Jesus has overcome the world, so we can take peace in that. All evil has an end.

3) peace comes to those who love God's commandments. It says nothing can make this person stumble. It is very true.

4) when we trust God/have our eyes fixed on God, perfect peace comes.

5) Jesus left us His peace. We are commanded not to be afraid.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Bible says to not fear around 365 times in God's Word. I feel bad with anxiety being my major struggle/stronghold in my life. But I have gained endurance and overcame in this area quite a bit over the years. I no longer self injure and have more moments without fear then in it. I am not on medicine, but thinking about getting back in it, just because I maybe do a bit better sometimes. I believe that is perfectly fine, but the Word of God does heal. God is a miracle worker and I will keep believing in Him for perfect peace in all areas of life. I believe one day I'll have these complete steel plated shoes of peace for battle (some mighty comfy ones), and they will be my most treasured armor. Because I want to lift others up and encourage others in faith. I want to be able to go to any place and share the Gospel, not fearing anything, because God is my life. But from these scriptures I get:

2) Jesus has overcome the world, so we can take peace in that. All evil has an end.

3) peace comes to those who love God's commandments. It says nothing can make this person stumble. It is very true.

My Precious Sister.... What a lovely confession/testimony/Praise report.... all rolled into one... Your words reminded me how we are ALL a work in progress... We all have our struggles... and I believe they are used to keep us humble and to remind us that WE NEED GOD... So many people forget that when things are going well... WE need GOD ... and there is NO SHAME in that. Your words have touched my heart.

Reactions: Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
View attachment 16127

@Mayflower

Linking in with passages such as John 14 and Philippians 4, the words of this hymn are also apt:

"1 When peace like a river attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
"It is well, it is well with my soul."

Refrain
It is well with my soul;
it is well, it is well with my soul.

2 Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
let this blest assurance control:
that Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
and has shed his own blood for my soul. Refrain

3 My sin oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
my sin, not in part, but the whole,
is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more;
praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul! Refrain

4 O Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
the clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
the trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend;
even so, it is well with my soul. Refrain"

(Horatio Spafford)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My Precious Sister.... What a lovely confession/testimony/Praise report.... all rolled into one... Your words reminded me how we are ALL a work in progress... We all have our struggles... and I believe they are used to keep us humble and to remind us that WE NEED GOD... So many people forget that when things are going well... WE need GOD ... and there is NO SHAME in that. Your words have touched my heart.
@Addy Great header verse there also from the Psalms that is very relevant!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Romans 2:9‭-‬10 NASB1995

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

Romans 5:1 NASB1995

For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,

Romans 8:5‭-‬6 NASB1995

Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine , I will repay ,” says the Lord. “But if your enemy is hungry , feed him , and if he is thirsty , give him a drink ; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head .” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Romans 12:17‭-‬21

So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.

Romans 14:19 NASB1995

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Romans 2:9‭-‬10 NASB1995

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

Romans 5:1 NASB1995

For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,

Romans 8:5‭-‬6 NASB1995

Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine , I will repay ,” says the Lord. “But if your enemy is hungry , feed him , and if he is thirsty , give him a drink ; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head .” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Romans 12:17‭-‬21

So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.

Romans 14:19 NASB1995
@Mayflower I had forgotten that reference to peace in Romans 8.6. Thank-you for the reminder! :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I wanted to come back and respond to these. I have not forgotten.

I think this is how God can love us so much despite our sinful flesh, because our sinful flesh is not who God made us to be. He made us in His image. It is these spiritual forces of darkness and war that is going on and need to be aware of. I think it is easier to love people when using our spiritual eyes to recognize this battle going on around us.

49138-hebrews-11-1.jpg

All the pieces of spiritual armor go together, and the shield of faith compliments the belt of truth. Most people know the truth that a green light means go and a red light means stop. I have assurance that when a light turns green, I can safely go through it. The shield of faith is a green light to be able to use Truth boldly. The Sword of the Spirit is Truth. Truth is both the defensive and the offensive if I am understanding this right. But I agree with you.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

Faith and Truth show believers when to stop and go, I believe.
@Mayflower Hebrews 11, from where the poster quote comes, is a tremendous chapter. I like also how the writer follows on at the beginning of chapter 12 with the exhortation to keep 'looking unto Jesus' (12.2).

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just read this. Powerful devotion on spiritual armor...

What if You Need To Suit Up Instead of Toughen Up?
KIMBERLY HENDERSON

“Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” Ephesians 6:11 (NIV)

You just need to toughen up, Kimberly.

This is what I told myself after being misunderstood and then referred to in untrue and unkind ways on social media. Not only did I feel shamed by their words, but I also felt ashamed of myself for letting them crush me.

If you’re going to be a woman who shares her heart in this world, you’re going to have to get some thicker skin.

The desire to self-protect is such a normal, human reaction — especially in a world that can be so cruel.

But God has been helping me see that when I toughen up, I become cynical and less sensitive to His voice and the needs around me. And I keep people at a distance as I build up layer upon thick-skinned layer — insulating myself from some of the very people He wants me to reach.

So what do we do when we want to be used by God, but we’re afraid or even tired of feeling attacked? How do we protect ourselves when hurtful things are hurled our way?

First, we must remember that people are not our real enemy. Satan — the father of lies, the deceiver, the accuser of us all — is our true enemy. Ephesians 6:12 tells us, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (NIV).

This is hard to remember when the flaming arrows aimed our way come via the vicious lips or fast-typing fingertips of people. But it’s still the truth.

We also must realize that it’s not our job to protect ourselves with thicker skin. Instead, we need to prayerfully put on the armor God says He has given us. We find this reminder in Ephesians 6:10-11, which says, “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes” (NIV).

I realize how vague this might seem since we can’t see His armor with our physical eyes. But remember, this isn’t a battle that takes place in the flesh. We are fighting a spiritual battle. This is why we need to spend time considering the armor detailed in Ephesians 6:10-18 as we ask the Holy Spirit to help us discern how each piece might protect us. Then we can speak or write out prayers to help us when we feel weak.

Here are a few examples of prayers I wrote based on my situation:

The breastplate of righteousness (v. 14): Jesus, everything in me wants to respond in ugly ways right now. But You are my righteousness. Help me make choices that align with that truth. And guard my heart against bitterness as I choose to respond with grace.

The shield of faith (v. 16): Lord, I don’t want these fiery darts to leave me consumed by fear and insecurity. I am choosing to believe I am who You say I am: redeemed, purposed and loved. And I am going to keep moving forward in faith because I know You are who You say You are: my Shield, my Safe Refuge, my Victorious King.

The helmet of salvation (v. 17): Jesus, the enemy would love to worm his way into my thoughts and make me believe all the worst things being said about me. But the blood You shed for me speaks a better word over me. Cover my mind in the truth that I am safe and secure in You.

The sword of the Spirit (v. 17): Lord, Your Word is sharper than a two-edged sword. It is my weapon against the enemy, but it’s also like a scalpel You can use with precision to get to the heart of me. Wherever I need Your conviction and correction, make me aware. But wherever there are lies and condemnation, help me silence Satan with Truth.

God hasn’t called us to toughen up against people. He has equipped us to suit up against our true enemy.

Yes, the initial pain we feel when we come under attack is real. But God’s armor is real, too. Every piece is His power, peace and protection placed between us and Satan. And we can stay surrendered to being used by the Lord because we know we're fully covered by Him.

Lord, I’m so grateful You haven’t left me to face my battles alone. I know I am surrounded by Your love, covered by Your armor and equipped by Your Truth. Even when the enemy’s most vile attacks come after me, help me stay tender to Your leading and courageous enough to keep obeying You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

FOR DEEPER STUDY

Ephesians 6:19, “Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel,” (NIV)

Which part of the armor of God are you the most thankful for today? How much more freedom would you experience if you knew and believed that God has you covered?

© 2021 by Kimberly Henderson. All rights reserved.

Proverbs 31 Ministries

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Just read this. Powerful devotion on spiritual armor...

What if You Need To Suit Up Instead of Toughen Up?
KIMBERLY HENDERSON

“Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” Ephesians 6:11 (NIV)

You just need to toughen up, Kimberly.

This is what I told myself after being misunderstood and then referred to in untrue and unkind ways on social media. Not only did I feel shamed by their words, but I also felt ashamed of myself for letting them crush me.

If you’re going to be a woman who shares her heart in this world, you’re going to have to get some thicker skin.

The desire to self-protect is such a normal, human reaction — especially in a world that can be so cruel.

But God has been helping me see that when I toughen up, I become cynical and less sensitive to His voice and the needs around me. And I keep people at a distance as I build up layer upon thick-skinned layer — insulating myself from some of the very people He wants me to reach.

So what do we do when we want to be used by God, but we’re afraid or even tired of feeling attacked? How do we protect ourselves when hurtful things are hurled our way?

First, we must remember that people are not our real enemy. Satan — the father of lies, the deceiver, the accuser of us all — is our true enemy. Ephesians 6:12 tells us, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (NIV).

This is hard to remember when the flaming arrows aimed our way come via the vicious lips or fast-typing fingertips of people. But it’s still the truth.

We also must realize that it’s not our job to protect ourselves with thicker skin. Instead, we need to prayerfully put on the armor God says He has given us. We find this reminder in Ephesians 6:10-11, which says, “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes” (NIV).

I realize how vague this might seem since we can’t see His armor with our physical eyes. But remember, this isn’t a battle that takes place in the flesh. We are fighting a spiritual battle. This is why we need to spend time considering the armor detailed in Ephesians 6:10-18 as we ask the Holy Spirit to help us discern how each piece might protect us. Then we can speak or write out prayers to help us when we feel weak.

Here are a few examples of prayers I wrote based on my situation:

The breastplate of righteousness (v. 14): Jesus, everything in me wants to respond in ugly ways right now. But You are my righteousness. Help me make choices that align with that truth. And guard my heart against bitterness as I choose to respond with grace.

The shield of faith (v. 16): Lord, I don’t want these fiery darts to leave me consumed by fear and insecurity. I am choosing to believe I am who You say I am: redeemed, purposed and loved. And I am going to keep moving forward in faith because I know You are who You say You are: my Shield, my Safe Refuge, my Victorious King.

The helmet of salvation (v. 17): Jesus, the enemy would love to worm his way into my thoughts and make me believe all the worst things being said about me. But the blood You shed for me speaks a better word over me. Cover my mind in the truth that I am safe and secure in You.

The sword of the Spirit (v. 17): Lord, Your Word is sharper than a two-edged sword. It is my weapon against the enemy, but it’s also like a scalpel You can use with precision to get to the heart of me. Wherever I need Your conviction and correction, make me aware. But wherever there are lies and condemnation, help me silence Satan with Truth.

God hasn’t called us to toughen up against people. He has equipped us to suit up against our true enemy.

Yes, the initial pain we feel when we come under attack is real. But God’s armor is real, too. Every piece is His power, peace and protection placed between us and Satan. And we can stay surrendered to being used by the Lord because we know we're fully covered by Him.

Lord, I’m so grateful You haven’t left me to face my battles alone. I know I am surrounded by Your love, covered by Your armor and equipped by Your Truth. Even when the enemy’s most vile attacks come after me, help me stay tender to Your leading and courageous enough to keep obeying You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

FOR DEEPER STUDY

Ephesians 6:19, “Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel,” (NIV)

Which part of the armor of God are you the most thankful for today? How much more freedom would you experience if you knew and believed that God has you covered?

© 2021 by Kimberly Henderson. All rights reserved.

Proverbs 31 Ministries
@Mayflower Interesting mediation there from Proverbs 31 ministries...

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Weekly Devotional: The Armor of God – Shield of Faith
Weekly Devotional: The Armor of God – Shield of Faith

By Lauren Abraham
June 03, 2016 by Lauren Abraham in [ Spiritual Life ]

c3f1ac162390e3dc4f3e2f3108010a4f20eac48c.jpg

“Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” (Ephesians 6:13)

The fourth piece of armor Paul discusses in Ephesians 6 is the shield of faith. He tells us to take up the shield of faith in order to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

For a Roman soldier, a shield was used as a form of protection. It was worn strapped to one’s arm and, at any time, it could be held up to deflect attacks. In addition, it could be used as an offensive weapon to knock enemies over with force.

What does it mean to have faith, and how can this be related to a shield?

Hebrews 11:1 says, “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” Faith is more than just a feeling. To have faith is to believe God created the world and sent His only Son to die for our sins so we might have eternal life.

As Christians, the faith we have in Christ is based in reality. Romans 1:20 says, “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.” Even though we cannot physically see God, He has manifested Himself through creation. Therefore, our faith in Him is based on this truth.

If we have faith in Christ, this will influence the way we live. Our faith can guard us during trials in the same way a shield would during battle. For example, when doubt creeps in and our beliefs are questioned, our faith in Christ will protect us. We can stand firm in knowing what we believe.

In addition, our faith can protect us when we experience anxiety and fear. Isaiah 41:10 says, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand.” If we have faith in God’s promises, we do not need to fear.

It is important to realize that doubt, fear and anxiety are attacks from the enemy. Taking up the shield of faith will protect us and allow us to fight back against these attacks. In addition, as the body of Christ, we can help each other to grow stronger in our faith by living in community.

I encourage you to apply the concept of the shield of faith to your life. Remember that when we put our faith in Christ, we are unstoppable.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
downloadfile-41.jpg

Sometimes you have to do it even when you don't feel like it. Sometimes have to get into the Word and praise God even when feeling like target practice from the enemy. Why? Because
following God's laws become strength. In moments of weakness and storms in life, pressing into God and resting in Him is defense.

Psalm 1 says:

psalm1.jpg

Reactions: farouk

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read this devotional on CF this evening. It was really good.

The Battle of the Mind

The Battle of the Mind
By- Christsfreeservant

Psalms 119:9 ESV

“How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.”

The Battle We Face

It isn’t just young men who need to keep their way pure. We all do. And in today’s world it is getting harder and harder for the young and the old to keep their way pure, for impurity is being thrown our direction from all different sources, including from within the gatherings of the church.

If we walk through a mall, it is in the windows of the stores. Or, if we go grocery shopping, it stares us in the face in the checkout line from the magazines prominently placed in our view where we are standing. If we go anywhere in public, we are presented with people immodestly and even provocatively dressed.

If we are anywhere on the internet, even on some Christian sites, we are faced with it in their ads, which may seem innocuous to some people, but seduction can begin very subtly with just small hints of something that can play in a person’s mind until it leads to something greater.

And if we are on social media, it comes at us through memes that are shared, and through the ads, and through some people’s posts, even those of people professing faith in Jesus Christ. Some of their posts are pictures of themselves with prominent parts of their bodies sticking out (uncovered).

And seduction and sensuality and sexuality are in the music people listen to, in the video games they play, in the ads on TV and on YouTube, at half-times or pre-game shows at sporting events, and even in “Christian” music videos. I can’t begin to count how many of those I had to turn off.

And then if you go to a news site, they often have some kind of extra stories on the side to draw your attention with some kind of action or with some catchy title that makes some people curious, and so they follow their curiosity, and many times that leads them to where they should not go.

I mean, I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface on this, I am sure, because I am in my 70s, so I don’t even know all the new ways people are being inundated with sensuality and seduction. But I know that a big open door for this has been personal computers, tablets, and now smart phones in the hands of the immature and the self-indulgent, and in the hands of children.

We Have to Guard our Minds

We are all human, who are humans. We all live in flesh bodies. Therefore, we all have a propensity to sin. Even though Jesus died to deliver us from our slavery to sin, and even though, by genuine faith in Jesus Christ, we have died with him to sin, we have to die daily to sin, by the Spirit.

God’s grace, which brings salvation, trains (instructs, teaches, commands) us to say “No!” to ungodliness and fleshly lusts and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s soon return. For, Jesus gave himself up for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

The Holy Spirit within us also gives us the wisdom, the power, and the strength to do what this says (above), and to resist the devil, and to flee temptation, and to draw near to God in full assurance of faith. Jesus provided a way out for us from temptation so that we will not give in to it. We just have to take the way out that he provided.

So, yes, we are being bombarded daily, if we live in this world, with sexually suggestive or with sensual or with seductive images and messages being thrown at us unceasingly. So, we have to be determined, and we have to put on that armor of God, and we have to be committed to purity, or we will fail. We have to guard our minds against all forces of evil trying to invade them.

So, how do we do this? First off, we have to be in genuine relationship with Jesus Christ. We have to have died with him to sin, and we must be living to Christ and to his righteousness, in the strength and wisdom of God. And we have to set our faces “like flint,” (Isaiah 50:7) so that we don’t let those images or those suggestions have one second of infiltration into our minds.

We have to immediately look away and pray and close sites and block sites or people who are a problem for us. We can’t look a second time. We have to take action immediately. People may think we are crazy or that we are overreacting, or that we are legalistic or whatever else it is they want to think about us, but we must not give sensuality one second in our lives.

Now, it goes without saying that if you have been caught up in sexual sin in the past, and by God’s grace, you are committed to walking in freedom, then you have to know your areas of weakness, and you know where you can’t go, so don’t go there! Don’t test fate, basically.

If you have a history of being led down rabbit holes, know those rabbit holes so that you recognize them and so you avoid them, and so you don’t keep repeating the same sins over and over again. If you do, it is obvious that you are not serious about walking in purity of devotion with the Lord, and you are just playing a dangerous game. And that is because Jesus has given you all you need to live a pure life, so no excuses! You just have to obey him!

Psalms 119:10-12 ESV

“With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!”

We can’t be casual about our relationships with the Lord Jesus and expect to walk in purity free from slavery to sin. We have to seek the Lord Jesus with our WHOLE HEART, and not half-heartedly. We have to be committed to moral purity, and we must guard our minds and hearts from all sources of evil which might try to work their way into our minds and hearts.

And we can’t let our guard down at any time. We must know our enemy and his tactics he uses against us so that we don’t fall into any of his traps. That is what Ephesians 6:10-20 is all about. We can’t act like we don’t have an enemy prowling around ready to attack us at any given moment and then expect to not get burned.

Therefore, commit your all to Jesus. Live for him fully! Do not disobey his commands. Do what he says. Bathe your mind in the word of God and with music with godly lyrics and spiritually uplifting messages. Use Philippians 4:8-9 as your rule of thumb for deciding what you will listen to and what you will watch, too. Be faithful, be steadfast, and never ever give in to temptation! Pray! Trust the Lord! And obey him!

[Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; Eph 4:17-24; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Pet 2:24; 1 Co 6:9-10, 19-20; 2 Co 5:10, 15; Gal 5:16-21; Eph 5:3-6; Gal 6:7-8; Rom 2:6-8; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 3:4-10]

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I read this devotional on CF this evening. It was really good.

The Battle of the Mind

The Battle of the Mind
By- Christsfreeservant

Psalms 119:9 ESV

“How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.”

The Battle We Face

It isn’t just young men who need to keep their way pure. We all do. And in today’s world it is getting harder and harder for the young and the old to keep their way pure, for impurity is being thrown our direction from all different sources, including from within the gatherings of the church.

If we walk through a mall, it is in the windows of the stores. Or, if we go grocery shopping, it stares us in the face in the checkout line from the magazines prominently placed in our view where we are standing. If we go anywhere in public, we are presented with people immodestly and even provocatively dressed.

If we are anywhere on the internet, even on some Christian sites, we are faced with it in their ads, which may seem innocuous to some people, but seduction can begin very subtly with just small hints of something that can play in a person’s mind until it leads to something greater.

And if we are on social media, it comes at us through memes that are shared, and through the ads, and through some people’s posts, even those of people professing faith in Jesus Christ. Some of their posts are pictures of themselves with prominent parts of their bodies sticking out (uncovered).

And seduction and sensuality and sexuality are in the music people listen to, in the video games they play, in the ads on TV and on YouTube, at half-times or pre-game shows at sporting events, and even in “Christian” music videos. I can’t begin to count how many of those I had to turn off.

And then if you go to a news site, they often have some kind of extra stories on the side to draw your attention with some kind of action or with some catchy title that makes some people curious, and so they follow their curiosity, and many times that leads them to where they should not go.

I mean, I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface on this, I am sure, because I am in my 70s, so I don’t even know all the new ways people are being inundated with sensuality and seduction. But I know that a big open door for this has been personal computers, tablets, and now smart phones in the hands of the immature and the self-indulgent, and in the hands of children.

We Have to Guard our Minds

We are all human, who are humans. We all live in flesh bodies. Therefore, we all have a propensity to sin. Even though Jesus died to deliver us from our slavery to sin, and even though, by genuine faith in Jesus Christ, we have died with him to sin, we have to die daily to sin, by the Spirit.

God’s grace, which brings salvation, trains (instructs, teaches, commands) us to say “No!” to ungodliness and fleshly lusts and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s soon return. For, Jesus gave himself up for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

The Holy Spirit within us also gives us the wisdom, the power, and the strength to do what this says (above), and to resist the devil, and to flee temptation, and to draw near to God in full assurance of faith. Jesus provided a way out for us from temptation so that we will not give in to it. We just have to take the way out that he provided.

So, yes, we are being bombarded daily, if we live in this world, with sexually suggestive or with sensual or with seductive images and messages being thrown at us unceasingly. So, we have to be determined, and we have to put on that armor of God, and we have to be committed to purity, or we will fail. We have to guard our minds against all forces of evil trying to invade them.

So, how do we do this? First off, we have to be in genuine relationship with Jesus Christ. We have to have died with him to sin, and we must be living to Christ and to his righteousness, in the strength and wisdom of God. And we have to set our faces “like flint,” (Isaiah 50:7) so that we don’t let those images or those suggestions have one second of infiltration into our minds.

We have to immediately look away and pray and close sites and block sites or people who are a problem for us. We can’t look a second time. We have to take action immediately. People may think we are crazy or that we are overreacting, or that we are legalistic or whatever else it is they want to think about us, but we must not give sensuality one second in our lives.

Now, it goes without saying that if you have been caught up in sexual sin in the past, and by God’s grace, you are committed to walking in freedom, then you have to know your areas of weakness, and you know where you can’t go, so don’t go there! Don’t test fate, basically.

If you have a history of being led down rabbit holes, know those rabbit holes so that you recognize them and so you avoid them, and so you don’t keep repeating the same sins over and over again. If you do, it is obvious that you are not serious about walking in purity of devotion with the Lord, and you are just playing a dangerous game. And that is because Jesus has given you all you need to live a pure life, so no excuses! You just have to obey him!

Psalms 119:10-12 ESV

“With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!”

We can’t be casual about our relationships with the Lord Jesus and expect to walk in purity free from slavery to sin. We have to seek the Lord Jesus with our WHOLE HEART, and not half-heartedly. We have to be committed to moral purity, and we must guard our minds and hearts from all sources of evil which might try to work their way into our minds and hearts.

And we can’t let our guard down at any time. We must know our enemy and his tactics he uses against us so that we don’t fall into any of his traps. That is what Ephesians 6:10-20 is all about. We can’t act like we don’t have an enemy prowling around ready to attack us at any given moment and then expect to not get burned.

Therefore, commit your all to Jesus. Live for him fully! Do not disobey his commands. Do what he says. Bathe your mind in the word of God and with music with godly lyrics and spiritually uplifting messages. Use Philippians 4:8-9 as your rule of thumb for deciding what you will listen to and what you will watch, too. Be faithful, be steadfast, and never ever give in to temptation! Pray! Trust the Lord! And obey him!

[Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-17; Eph 4:17-24; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Pet 2:24; 1 Co 6:9-10, 19-20; 2 Co 5:10, 15; Gal 5:16-21; Eph 5:3-6; Gal 6:7-8; Rom 2:6-8; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 3:4-10]
Christsfreeservant has written some really good meditations...