Standing up for the Truth - Yoga is not for Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

deceptionfree

Nov 8, 2012
Yoga, a word tossed about so casually today in the West, is an umbrella term for many types of Yoga, and is an integral part of Hindu belief and practice. All forms of Yoga are part of a serious systematic spiritual path in Hinduism designed to lead one to realization of the self as divine, and to bypass the mind in order to yoke with Brahman, the Absolute.

The Yoga most practiced by Christians is Hatha Yoga. The poses themselves are often depictions of Hindu deities, and the hand positions mimic the hand positions seen on the statues of Hindu gods. These hand positions are called mudras and are thought to help manipulate and channel prana, a supposed divine force or breath of the universe.

The purpose of Hatha Yoga is not physical and it is not to relax; it is part of a complex spiritual path to prepare the student for more advanced meditative states and also to lead the practitioner to the realization that the true self is divine (the Atman). The goal is to dis-identify with the body and self as one's real identity in order to reach a state of Self-realization; that is, to realize the divine nature of Self.

Many Yoga classes do not use the Eastern terms when teaching Yoga, but disguise these with other terms that sound innocuous, such as "breathing techniques" for pranayama; "energy points" or "energy centers" for chakras; "center" for meditation; "poses" for asanas, etc.

It is not as if there are no other forms of exercise; and Yoga is not really exercise anyway - it is a spiritual practice with a spiritual purpose. The spirituality of Yoga is only temporarily hidden when it's marketed as an exercise. Here are several ways that reveal its core spiritual nature:

a)The first issue of Yoga Journal in 2000 devoted itself to the theme that marketing Yoga as an exercise has been obscuring its spiritual roots and purpose. Yoga Journal had interviews with Yoga teachers who were beginning to regret this, saying that it is wrong to leave out the spirituality.

B) Marketing Yoga as a physical practice in gyms and health clubs serves as a hook to bring some into the Yoga studios where the Yoga teaching is more serious and spiritual.

c) Many Hindu Yoga masters have been more critical of Yoga as it is taught in the West, offended that it is being taught as a physical exercise or way to de-stress, and upset that the spiritual aspect is being hidden or minimized.

d) Yoga Journal articles have become more spiritual in nature, since now Yoga has taken hold in the culture, having been marketed successfully as a path to health, fitness, and peace.

e) Additionally, Yoga was not a practice common to everyone in India; it was an esoteric practice for devoted followers under the guidance of gurus, and aspects of Yoga were (and still are) considered dangerous by serious Yoga masters. This is because the goal is a spiritual one that supposedly opens one up to more kundalini (the serpent power allegedly coiled at the base of the spine and which is supposed to pass up through the seven invisible chakras) and advanced meditative states (for which hatha Yoga is the training ground) which, students are told, can cause insanity or death. I heard some of this myself when involved with Yoga and Eastern beliefs as a New Ager. It doesn't matter whether these terms are used or not, or whether these goals are stated or not. Yoga is an esoteric occult practice that in the West has been associated with youth, health, beauty, and peace as a marketable package. To sell Yoga in mainstream culture while divulging its true origins, associations, and purposes would make it a marketing failure.

"Christian Yoga" is an oxymoron. If one removes the core aspects of Yoga to make it into something acceptable to Christians, then the breathing techniques and asanas need to be removed, which means there is then little or no Yoga at all. Changing the terms does not change Yoga, either. Just as there is no Christian Ouija board and no Christian astrology, so there is no Christian Yoga that is either truly Yoga or truly Christian.

The bottom line is that it is disingenuous and disrespectful to real Yoga practitioners to pretend Yoga is just a physical activity, and it is deceptive to market it that way to anyone else.

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
Hi! 'DeceptionFree'

I don't wish to get on the wrong side of you right off the bat ... but, ComeOn! ...

"Deception free" --- am I to assume that this Nickname of yours is a personal confession from you?
Well, from where I'm standing, it's preferable that your Nickname remains a hope and not a self-indulgent pious confession.

Anyways, being 'deception free' these days is a rather difficult task.
After all, the scripture advises, "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect".
So, hold on for the ride; the last act is yet to be played.

Yesterday, I visited your Blog Site and left a Comment on the "About" Page.
It was there where I left you a Comment saying that you are to be a LIGHT in the world, not a flashlight.
Christians are a LIGHT which extinguishes the darkness and triumphs over it by the Word of God.

We are not to behave as flashlights.
Flashlights merely expose the darkness ... chases the darkness.

You see? It is the evil one who uses a flashlight. It is he who turns the darkness into an accusatory stare.
But you are a Christian. You are to behave after the model of Jesus and His works.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I get the feeling that christianity today, in its desire to be relevant, is imbibing all sorts of satanic ploys to weaken the church. A classic example is the same sex marriage issue. Here in my country, high profile evangelical ministers are appearing on web sites giving their approval of same sex marriage. One said " I have been married for 50 years, so what right do I have to stop another person from getting married."

To paraphrase, "My personal opinion based on emotion takes president over the word of God."

You can justify everything if your determined enough, but like all things of this nature, one has to start with the word of God to base a discussion on. Without a foundation from the word, you just get into competing opinions.

Yoga, without doubt has its foundation in Hinduism. The scripture says...

1Corinthians 10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

2Corinthians6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion has light with darkness?

Ephesians5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Of course these verses do not apply specifically to Hinduism, but they do set out a general principal. We don't have fellowship with devils (Hinduism). Righteousness does not fellowship with unrighteousness (Hinduism). We are not to have fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness (Hinduism).

Anyone who believes that it is OK to have fellowship with darkness (Hinduism/yoga) are opening themselves to being deceived in other areas. As in "what a man sows he reaps."

deceptionfree

Nov 8, 2012
You see? It is the evil one who uses a flashlight. It is he who turns the darkness into an accusatory stare.
But you are a Christian. You are to behave after the model of Jesus and His works.

Are you saying that I am not behaving as I should as a christian?

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
df - you didn't address my question about your website - do you have background proof about people you name as satanists? here is my original question about your website.

I've looked at it, it seems to describe many people as satanists, giving very flimsy "proof". That hookem hand symbol is one of them. Many Texans use that symbol with no satanic intent.

deceptionfree

Nov 8, 2012
Hey Soupy. Ya it's my blog. As for more "proof" keep reading the blog. One thing I stated on my blog - in my initial post - is that I write from the perspective that there is a NWO shadow government which is run by satanists. If you do not believe that - then you may find the articles I wrote about difficult to understand. Do you know what Free Masons are?

Spirit Covenant

Nov 5, 2012
Did you read my post? Yoga = new age - eastern roots - Not for Christians. Straight up. Jesus did not do yoga. There are other exercises that are good for you.

Amen deceptionfree

The time is coming soon when everything that no one should be doing will stop. The darkness will flee when the light comes into the room.

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Soupy. Ya it's my blog. As for more "proof" keep reading the blog. One thing I stated on my blog - in my initial post - is that I write from the perspective that there is a NWO shadow government which is run by satanists. If you do not believe that - then you may find the articles I wrote about difficult to understand. Do you know what Free Masons are?

I'm not understanding why I should read more, you made claims but they are not substantiated, why should I continue reading to see if you have any proof of your claims?
I don't your blog difficult to understand, I find it difficult to believe. Claims of satanists hurt the message of Christ
I agree there is darkness that we need to be aware of, but I do not believe people you describe are satanists.
I prefer to concentrate on Christ, leading others to Him will thwart satan.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
marksman said:
I get the feeling that christianity today, in its desire to be relevant, is imbibing all sorts of satanic ploys to weaken the church. A classic example is the same sex marriage issue. Here in my country, high profile evangelical ministers are appearing on web sites giving their approval of same sex marriage. One said " I have been married for 50 years, so what right do I have to stop another person from getting married."

To paraphrase, "My personal opinion based on emotion takes president over the word of God."

You can justify everything if your determined enough, but like all things of this nature, one has to start with the word of God to base a discussion on. Without a foundation from the word, you just get into competing opinions.

Yoga, without doubt has its foundation in Hinduism. The scripture says...

1Corinthians 10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

2Corinthians6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion has light with darkness?

Ephesians5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Of course these verses do not apply specifically to Hinduism, but they do set out a general principal. We don't have fellowship with devils (Hinduism). Righteousness does not fellowship with unrighteousness (Hinduism). We are not to have fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness (Hinduism).

Anyone who believes that it is OK to have fellowship with darkness (Hinduism/yoga) are opening themselves to being deceived in other areas. As in "what a man sows he reaps."
Taking a huge leap here, hmm? A little out of context application.

Do you think that Christians invented all things you are partaking of? Not so much. Many of our practices and enjoyments are the product of those who do not share our faith. So what makes us safe? As well, do you think that a Christian is automatically harmed by something that someone else is harmed by, by mere association? Hardly.

For example, There are those who have devious use for their computer. Are we under deception or in danger of harm therefore for using computers? That would depend on the heart and motive of the user, would it not? These things are not automatic by way of association. I would suggest we might want to consider the difference between wisdom and mere superstition. If another man worships the game of golf am I in sin by also being a golfer? Nothing is unclean of itself. It is a matter of the individual heart. I do not practice yoga. But I may someday consider it for the sake of my aching back and muscles and for the physical benefit. And I will yet worship my Savior. What the next person uses yoga for, is their own responsiblity.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For example, There are those who have devious use for their computer. Are we under deception or in danger of harm therefore for using computers? That would depend on the heart and motive of the user, would it not? These things are not automatic by way of association. I would suggest we might want to consider the difference between wisdom and mere superstition. If another man worships the game of golf am I in sin by also being a golfer? Nothing is unclean of itself. It is a matter of the individual heart. I do not practice yoga. But I may someday consider it for the sake of my aching back and muscles and for the physical benefit. And I will yet worship my Savior. What the next person uses yoga for, is their own responsiblity.
I can't help feeling that this a straw man. It is a comparison that bears no comparison to each other. I say this because the invention of the Internet was not to promote false religion or seducing spirits. The fact that it has been misused for nefarious purposes does not mean its foundation is controlled by those that do misuse it.

Yoga, on the other hand is a product of Hinduism, a false religion with a false God, and it is specifically meant to take control of your mind by satanic spirits. There is no intention in yoga not to do this. That means that if you are a participant in yoga, you are giving satan permission to invade your mind as that is the specific purpose of it.

Where satan is involved, there is no good satan and bad satan. Whatever he is involved in is all bad. As I understand it, one does not submit oneself to spiritual forces from the dark side unless we are clearly directed to do so by the Lord, (as in God told me to get involved in the homosexual community to rescue those who wanted out), to confront the spiritual forces or to specifically rescue those trapped by the spirits involved.

To voluntary open ourselves to the mind control of those spirits is madness.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TO EACH HIS OWN AS THE SAYING GOES. the word teaches that it is the motive of our hearts that determines whether something is right or wrong. it also teaches that if you believe something is wrong but go ahead and do it anyways that you have sinned. it also says that if you are the one that caused a fellow brother to fall because he saw you doing something that he considered wrong but did it anyways because he saw you doing it that you will be held responsible for him sinning.

so my view on this matter is to do it within your own home away from the public eye to reduce the chance that you will cause another to fall because of what you are doing.

God bless

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
TO EACH HIS OWN AS THE SAYING GOES.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't find such an idea in scripture.

What I do find is clear and that is many warnings about getting involved in demon spirits, whether in the home or outside of it. Makes no difference. Having had a visit from satan one night in my bedroom and his attempt to kill me because I was embarking on a ministry that invaded one of his strongholds, I can assure you that you don't voluntarily mess with him.

Especially as the scriptures warn us he is an angel of light, which means that unless you have got your spiritual antenna tuned in, he will deceive you in the blink of an eye.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
marksman, in my observation and experience, people have supernatural oppression from tapping into the wrong source. but that is a whole other topic entirely.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
marksman, in my observation and experience, people have supernatural oppression from tapping into the wrong source. but that is a whole other topic entirely.
Totally agree.