Strange fire conference: For God's glory or control

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Over the course of the last week or so, the "grace to you" program has been airing messages from the "Strange Fire" conference hosted by John MacArthur. While I thought this conference was supposed to be about the more bizarre aspects of the current "charismatic movement," from what I've been hearing it appeared to be more about re-establishing the reformation doctrine of "Sola Scriptura" and the view that the Holy Spirit no longer uses Christians to perform miraculous works in the way of sign gifts. Notables like John MacArthur have said that if God speaks to anyone, that this would constitute new revelation and new ways to view the church, and that he considers anyone who claims to "hear" from God to be either deluded or under demonic influence.
This puts men like Charles Stanley into the category of "charlatan," right along side those more questionable "Christian" carnivals and hucksters and side shows. While I don't agree with everything that Dr. Stanley says, especially with regard to things like New Testament tithing, I do believe that God has blessed him with a strong faith and a strong ministry.
Since those that believe that the "sign" gifts were "apostolic" and have ceased with the completion of the "cannon" of scripture, how do they justify disbelieving what the scripture actually says regarding such things, or what the scripture says about God speaking to His redeemed to give them guidance?
At the end of today's broadcast, brother John made the request to "his friends" who support the notion that God has not changed in either His character or in His methodology take a stance against the "charismatic movement," based upon the notion that such gross error in preaching and worship adds nothing to the church and that sound theology has carried the church from the 1st century until this day. Now, if this were true, why was there any reason for a reformation in the first place? Is God's arm shortened that He is unable to correct His bride or keep the tares from choking out all of her fruit? Has our Great Shepherd become unable to bring swift destruction upon those false prophets and ravenous wolves which threaten the sheep of His pasture? If this were to be viewed as a form of "church discipline" why not meet with two or three witnesses and bring their accusation before our eternal Judge in prayer? Perhaps their faith in Christ's presence is somewhat less than they believe it to be, or perhaps they believe that delivering someone up to Satan for the destruction of the flesh was an Apostolic gift that's also somehow disappeared over time. Personally, I don't see the logic.
MacArthur actually related a story about a man who had questioned him as to why the modern church was so disoriented and confused (doctrinally) and who was it that policed the church? MacArthur thinks that its up to those brilliant scholars of the evangelical church to become the new "church police." Maybe they should form an actual police force, give them leather aprons, white gloves, and triangular shields, and call them the "bible police."
Perhaps the real story is about control, and primarily with where the dollars go, to genuine and "worthy" ministries, or to pulpit clowns. It seems uncharacteristically dumb to "throw out the baby with the bath water" in trying to squash legitimate movements of God's Spirit (such as the Calvary Chapel movement.) I started attending one of the local Calvary chapels just a few months ago and have felt greatly refreshed by the zealous spirits of the men that I've come to meet with a real heart for the Lord and for His word, that MacArthur referred to as dirty hippies, ex drug addicts, and in similar disparaging terms. May the Lord rebuke him.
Perhaps he's been under pressure from associates such as "the alliance of confessing evangelicals."
My word to brother John is that he should take a close look at his own house. The "alliance" web site and printed documentation has made ample use of masonic symbolism and at least some of it's members have made masonic references from the pulpit. As an example, I enjoyed listening to Dr. James Boyce prior to his succumbing to cancer, and have always thought of him as a wonderful scholar and brother in the Lord, yet I heard him joke while preaching about the heavenly Jerusalem, that he would prefer it's shape where that of a pyramid rather than that of a cube. Such a brilliant scholar wouldn't have used a masonic reference casually without knowing something of it's significance. Masonry bears an outward resemblance to Christianity in that it holds to the concept of a single God and Creator (the great architect of the universe), and promotes the practice of "good works" and brotherly fellowship, but that's where the similarity ends, unless you hold to biblical legalism as a means to righteousness, in which case you have more in common with the Masons than to me.
In one book that I've downloaded that was written by a 19th century Masonic scholar, it was noted that there were some disputes between lodges in England over the proliferation of Christian symbols being introduced into their ritual and practice; some desired to entirely expunge them as inappropriate to the purity of Free Masonry. If this was true of the influence of "Christian" Masons upon Free Masonry, what was the influence of Masonry within the church? Legalism? Control over church finances?
The quenching of movements of the Spirit of God? As I've been examining cults, I've noticed that most that I've encountered were begun by Free Masons and this shouldn't be a surprise as the same Masonic book that I've mentioned says that Free Masonry allows it's adherents the freedom to invent their own system of belief as long as its symbolism adheres to their basic philosophy of approaching "godliness" through wisdom and pious practice, but primarily through knowledge and according to their own understanding.

4. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5. For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. Genesis 3:4-5

The devil is the king of pride and his pride is his greatest weakness; "He always gives himself away in that he's unable to restrain his pride in his accomplishment."

Have an opinion? Like to share it? Warning...Free Masons are likely to be outed, but are "Free" to try to justify themselves.

Levi

May 30, 2013
Although John MacArthur has a couple of good books out there, although one which is entitled "The Gospel According to Jesus", after reading the first chapter I didn't think I knew anyone who was a Christian. ;) However, I do believe his tough approach helps in some areas.

I can not understand either why he insists the gifts are not for today, we need them desperately! The Bible indicates these are necessary in order for the Church to mature.

The problem with people who look out and point fingers - and they are everywhere - really don't have a clue what's going on in their backyard. They spends hours complaining about 'other people' and what 'other people' are doing wrong, or not doing enough of when all along the ones they are pointing the fingers at are the ones who are doing righteous acts, growing in their relationship with Christ and maturing/conforming to Christ.

John Mac spends an awful lot of time preaching and writing against other people and their ways, is this how we're supposed to spend our time? Is this honestly spreading the news about the Kingdom? I don't see, in scripture, this is mandated for us to do.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Good topic MVP ... these things have been on my mind for years ... it is as though we should maybe "police ourselves" and gain some credibility as Christians.

Right now I am listening to part 1 of MacArthurs speech .... some time later I hope to join your discussion.

Just a side note ... I have always been very appreciative of Charles Stanley ... he is about the only one on TV I will listen to ... I am surprised if MacArthur lumps him in with Charismatic "Charlatans"

Anyway .... I continue to listen here ....

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/TM13-1/strange-fire-john-macarthur

Hopefully some discussions later .... it is an important topic you bring .... thanks.

AM

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Levi said:
Although John MacArthur has a couple of good books out there, although one which is entitled "The Gospel According to Jesus", after reading the first chapter I didn't think I knew anyone who was a Christian. ;) However, I do believe his tough approach helps in some areas.

I can not understand either why he insists the gifts are not for today, we need them desperately! The Bible indicates these are necessary in order for the Church to mature.

The problem with people who look out and point fingers - and they are everywhere - really don't have a clue what's going on in their backyard. They spends hours complaining about 'other people' and what 'other people' are doing wrong, or not doing enough of when all along the ones they are pointing the fingers at are the ones who are doing righteous acts, growing in their relationship with Christ and maturing/conforming to Christ.

John Mac spends an awful lot of time preaching and writing against other people and their ways, is this how we're supposed to spend our time? Is this honestly spreading the news about the Kingdom? I don't see, in scripture, this is mandated for us to do.
I believe that J.M. has a zeal for the holiness of God, as does R.C. Sproul, but John sees much of the Charismatic movement as a mockery of the Holy Spirit and the work of con men, and in this puts himself in the position of the defender of God or of His Church (as though God requires a defender). The Church does however have Pastors placed as defenders of their flock, but Pastors remain "under shepherds" of the Great Shepherd who is by no means helpless to preserve His own. The Strange Fire name for the conference was a reference to the account of the two sons of Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, that were struck down by God for offering incense to God as they saw fit, rather than according to God's prescription through Moses (this also implies some serious sin in their own hearts.) MacArthur applies this to those churches and "false teachers" whose approach to Christianity is not traditional. In using this example, MacArthur forgets that it was God who elected to take the lives of Aaron's sons for profaning His holiness, and these because He placed them under law, the purpose of which is primarily to reveal our sin to us. If our worship is inappropriate, God is able to deal with us as He sees fit, but we live by grace so that we may not die by law, and grace is freedom to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. The real issue in the church at large is an increasing absence of worshipping in Truth, but the scripture still stands upon its own in that it is God who gives His word life in our hearts.
I have to stand on my impression that some of the arguments that I heard were based upon poor logic, uncharacteristic of those who made them, were carnal in nature, and were inspired by motives that were less than pure. The unlawful use of law must include the use of law to justify a person's own contempt for another person, and much of what I heard was clearly contempt. MacArthur's conference came off sounding like a pep rally for spiritual bigots, so I believe that they've already lost what they'd hoped to gain by it. That in itself is a shame, in that they might have helped to build the church up rather than added to it's division.

Arnie Manitoba said:
Good topic MVP ... these things have been on my mind for years ... it is as though we should maybe "police ourselves" and gain some credibility as Christians.

Right now I am listening to part 1 of MacArthurs speech .... some time later I hope to join your discussion.

Just a side note ... I have always been very appreciative of Charles Stanley ... he is about the only one on TV I will listen to ... I am surprised if MacArthur lumps him in with Charismatic "Charlatans"

Anyway .... I continue to listen here ....

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/TM13-1/strange-fire-john-macarthur

Hopefully some discussions later .... it is an important topic you bring .... thanks.

AM
Hi Arnie,
J.M. didn't specifically mention Charles Stanley, but spoke in vague terms of respected teachers that taught that God still speaks to us, and since Dr. Stanley even wrote a book about how to hear God speak, that includes him in those that J.M. classifies as "false teachers," "ravenous wolves," etc.
MacArthur took great pains to tip toe around his guilt in pointing fingers at men who consider him a friend, and at points he even sounded embarrassed to take the stand that he did, having made so generalized a reactionary appeal to an ideal church and doctrine which probably hasn't existed since the 1st century if at all on this side of eternity.
The fact that MacArthur gave the impression of being torn by love for at least some of those that he doctrinally disagrees with, leaves me with the hope that he is growing in grace, rather than falling from it through legalism.
I do suspect that his ministry has been influenced by Masonic teaching in some fashion, as I've heard Masonic catch phrases used by his announcers, though many of these are still commonly derived from the scripture as well. If you look at the geographical locations best known for their wide spread Free Masonry, you'll find that those places are also known to be the source of the greatest degree of "legalism" or "works righteousness," the hallmark of the ambitious Free Mason. I tend to cut people from such heavily influenced back grounds a lot of slack, in that they've been deceived by Satan in the same manner as Eve, through a distortion of the word of God to personal gain. We all start out ignorant as children, whether physically or spiritually, and usually the most difficult to teach are the ones who have the most knowledge, yet remain spiritually poor. Its up to God to give the increase, so its up to us to be patient.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Michael:
I am totally amazed at how J.M. would judge and discount a whole section of the Church (Charismatic) by referencing the extremes of the movement. Has he never heard, "You don't throw out the baby with the bath water.". Using his logic we should discount the Baptist Church based on Westboro Baptist Church and other baptist extremists. He should be lifting up Jesus instead of taking down His bride.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
DiDasKaLos said:
Hi Michael:
I am totally amazed at how J.M. would judge and discount a whole section of the Church (Charismatic) by referencing the extremes of the movement. Has he never heard, "You don't throw out the baby with the bath water.". Using his logic we should discount the Baptist Church based on Westboro Baptist Church and other baptist extremists. He should be lifting up Jesus instead of taking down His bride.
I have a different view.

I took a couple of hours and watched the "strange fire" videos and tend to agree with most of it.

I do not think the "strange fire charismatic" is just a fringe element .... it has been spreading rapidly for years now .... like a bit of yeast has gone thru the whole dough. I think it is time we point it out and try to correct it and try to aim for the real Holy Spirit working in our lives.

I am not anti-Pentecostal or anti-Charismatic ...... but thru the years I have been shocked by all the nonsense , and lets face it , most of the scandals are coming from those groups , please dont anybody tell me this is the Holy Spirit at work

And please dont anyone try to give the excuse that the "Spirit filled" christian is under greater attack from Satan and that causes all the problems

That is like saying be baptized in the Holy Spirit and then you will end up working for the devil and sin like crazy.

I dont know about any one else here .... but when the Holy Spirit prompts me to do something it is never easy , it usually has a cost , it feels uncomfortable even though I know it is right , it takes agonizing faith some times ....... and guess what .... a short time later it is clear to see the hand of the miraculous was involved and brings about good results even I never even dreamed of .

To me , that is the Holy Spirit in action

This stuff we see today looks more like a carnival act raising big money and playing on peoples emotions

We need to mature and learn to distinguish between what is a side show , what is emotionalism , and what is Holy Spirit.

As far as money .... the proper christian model is the rich giving to the poor

Some of the mega-church charismatics have the poor Christians giving to the rich leaders.

This should be obvious to all

Reactions: williemac

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Here is an excerpt of an interview of John MacArthur:

Let me begin with just a general comment about how to interpret experience. It is important to remember that, as Christians, we ought to develop our theology from Scripture and then interpret experience accordingly. Danger comes when believers get that backwards—allowing experience to define their theology, and then reinterpreting the Bible to make it fit.
Does anyone here disagree with that above-quoted statement?

Levi

May 30, 2013
Dodo_David said:

To a certain degree, but the problem with people like JM is he forgets God wants us to experience Him ourselves. It drives me insane when God does something in someone's life and then they deny it because it's not written in the Bible. Not everything God can do is in the Bible! If someone tells you they have a message from God for you and it contradicts the Bible, then it's probably not from God. Our journey is filled with our own experiences that you will not be able to run back to the Bible to verify. We'd be living in the Bible if that were the case and God Himself doesn't even live there, He's made His abode with us.
Michael V Pardo said:
I believe that J.M. has a zeal for the holiness of God, as does R.C. Sproul, but John sees much of the Charismatic movement as a mockery of the Holy Spirit and the work of con men, and in this puts himself in the position of the defender of God or of His Church (as though God requires a defender). The Church does however have Pastors placed as defenders of their flock, but Pastors remain "under shepherds" of the Great Shepherd who is by no means helpless to preserve His own. The Strange Fire name for the conference was a reference to the account of the two sons of Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, that were struck down by God for offering incense to God as they saw fit, rather than according to God's prescription through Moses (this also implies some serious sin in their own hearts.) MacArthur applies this to those churches and "false teachers" whose approach to Christianity is not traditional. In using this example, MacArthur forgets that it was God who elected to take the lives of Aaron's sons for profaning His holiness, and these because He placed them under law, the purpose of which is primarily to reveal our sin to us. If our worship is inappropriate, God is able to deal with us as He sees fit, but we live by grace so that we may not die by law, and grace is freedom to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. The real issue in the church at large is an increasing absence of worshipping in Truth, but the scripture still stands upon its own in that it is God who gives His word life in our hearts.
I have to stand on my impression that some of the arguments that I heard were based upon poor logic, uncharacteristic of those who made them, were carnal in nature, and were inspired by motives that were less than pure. The unlawful use of law must include the use of law to justify a person's own contempt for another person, and much of what I heard was clearly contempt. MacArthur's conference came off sounding like a pep rally for spiritual bigots, so I believe that they've already lost what they'd hoped to gain by it. That in itself is a shame, in that they might have helped to build the church up rather than added to it's division.
Does JM befriend any other ministry than his own? It's a serious question. He criticizes Mark Driscoll and he is not one to teach on the baptism of the Holy Spirit. It just seems JM spends a lot of time criticizing everyone else. I believe he has his own Bible, too, called "The John MacArthur Bible" - I mean come on! Isn't it just fine being called the story of Jesus!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
EDIT
Sorry

Let me try that again

DoDoDavid asked..... Does anyone here disagree with this statement?

Let me begin with just a general comment about how to interpret experience. It is important to remember that, as Christians, we ought to develop our theology from Scripture and then interpret experience accordingly. Danger comes when believers get that backwards—allowing experience to define their theology, and then reinterpreting the Bible to make it fit.

I read it wrong and answered "yes" .... I should have said "no"

In other words I agree with the above quoted statement

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Dodo_David said:

Yes, I disagree

Doctrine is based on the interpretation of scripture, not the scriptures themselves. The interpretation must be open to scrutiny. If this scrutiny occurs because of an experience so be it. Always be willing to accept that your interpretation may be incorrect, but hold to it until something better comes along. We are not God, so we can be wrong.

If there is something you don't[ understand accept that you don't understand and pray if you so choose. It is not a sin to admit you don't understand something, to me this shows a respect for the truth. A better understanding may only occur after much prayer and fasting, or for some after we leave this world and can ask Jesus about it face to face. Don't just assume your right.

If there is a conflict between scriptures and experience don't forget the experience. Keep that experience in mind until you have a better understanding. Let your understanding be dynamic but confined to logic and the written Word.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't read nor listened to John Macarthur, so I hate to comment too much... However, gathering from what I have read in this post I must say I do believe everything in the Bible is right. However, does that mean God or his Angels don't communicate any further with some individuals? Absolutely not! I do however, believe that they won't contradict the Bible. That's where I believe that you can tell if it's really God sending you a message.

Giving was brought up... Arnie said the Bible concept of giving was the rich giving to the poor.... No, it's not. ALL must be givers, and Jesus highlighted the widow who gave 3 mites. Now, yes.... The rich should help the poor in certain circumstances, but all must be givers nontheless.

Maybe later I'll have a listen to John MacArthur.... If I've missed something as a result of not listening, I apologize.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
lforrest said:
If there is a conflict between scriptures and experience don't forget the experience. Keep that experience in mind until you have a better understanding. Let your understanding be dynamic but confined to logic and the written Word.
Are you saying that an experience is always a reliable means of interpreting Scripture? Even when an experience clearly contradicts the plain meaning of Scripture?

The problem that I see with experiences is that they are prone to subjective interpretation.

By interpreting experiences according to Scripture, we reduce (if not completely eliminate) the subjectivity.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Dodo_David said:
Are you saying that an experience is always a reliable means of interpreting Scripture? Even when an experience clearly contradicts the plain meaning of Scripture?

The problem that I see with experiences is that they are prone to subjective interpretation.

By interpreting experiences according to Scripture, we reduce (if not completely eliminate) the subjectivity.
Not at all, if the meaning of scripture is plain and incontrovertible we should question the experience.

experience is prone to subjective interpretation, but we shouldn't deny our senses when the evidence is mounting.

If your goal is to agree with others who believe the same doctrine sola scriptura is a good way to do it. Looking at all the disagreements between different denominations not all of their doctrines and be correct. Unless yours is the one inerrant denomination It will be impossible to come to a complete and proper understanding unless your doctrine is questioned. Fortunately for most (or all) of us here we believe the fundamental doctrines that are essential for salvation.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DiDasKaLos said:
Hi Michael:
Actually, I know a local community Baptist church that is in the process of changing their name so that they won't be associated with those extremist that you mentioned, but those that believe that the Holy Spirit has stopped doing signs for the sake of unbelievers, stopped speaking to believers, stopped manifesting in power, deny the very scriptures that they profess to guard. I can tell you right now, that whether through good motives or evil, they blaspheme Him when they attribute His works to the devil, and ultimately, its all about being in control.

Arnie Manitoba said:
I have a different view.

I took a couple of hours and watched the "strange fire" videos and tend to agree with most of it.

I do not think the "strange fire charismatic" is just a fringe element .... it has been spreading rapidly for years now .... like a bit of yeast has gone thru the whole dough. I think it is time we point it out and try to correct it and try to aim for the real Holy Spirit working in our lives.

I am not anti-Pentecostal or anti-Charismatic ...... but thru the years I have been shocked by all the nonsense , and lets face it , most of the scandals are coming from those groups , please dont anybody tell me this is the Holy Spirit at work

And please dont anyone try to give the excuse that the "Spirit filled" christian is under greater attack from Satan and that causes all the problems

That is like saying be baptized in the Holy Spirit and then you will end up working for the devil and sin like crazy.

I dont know about any one else here .... but when the Holy Spirit prompts me to do something it is never easy , it usually has a cost , it feels uncomfortable even though I know it is right , it takes agonizing faith some times ....... and guess what .... a short time later it is clear to see the hand of the miraculous was involved and brings about good results even I never even dreamed of .

To me , that is the Holy Spirit in action

This stuff we see today looks more like a carnival act raising big money and playing on peoples emotions

We need to mature and learn to distinguish between what is a side show , what is emotionalism , and what is Holy Spirit.

As far as money .... the proper christian model is the rich giving to the poor

Some of the mega-church charismatics have the poor Christians giving to the rich leaders.

This should be obvious to all
Hi again, Arnie,
I agree with you in general principle, but cults have been with us as long as Christianity. Aren't the individuals that go after those false prophets among the charismatics (or evangelicals for profit, etc.) guilty of turning away from sound doctrine to satisfy their own desires or feed their own imaginations? The Lord said to those under Law:
1. "If there arises among you a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, 2. "and the sign or the wonder of which he spoke to you comes to pass, saying, `Let us go after other gods which you have not known, and let us serve them,' 3. "you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Deuteronomy 13:1-3
The Lord holds us responsible for what we believe and whom we believe. Now this is less clear when considering that there are false prophets who pretend to represent the Lord (as opposed to some other god), but in the case of Israel, the Lord judged the congregation after Aaron produced the golden calf for them, saying that it was the God who led them out of the land of Egypt. The Lord also judged the ten tribes of Israel that rejected Rehoboam and followed after Jeroboam, who then led them to again worship a golden calf as "the God of Israel." The kingdom of Judah also had its false prophets and was judged for listening to them as well.
Pastors and elders have responsibility to protect their own flocks from the infiltration of false and divisive teachers, but the scripture also tells us that God will deal with the false teachers Himself:
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2. And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3. By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber. 2 Peter 2:1-3

It should be an offense to us that men do the things that they do to deceive and corrupt, but we aren't their judges and their judgment isn't idle: 3. Then he said to me, "This is the curse that goes out over the face of the whole earth: `Every thief shall be expelled,' according to what is on this side of the scroll; and, `Every perjurer shall be expelled,' according to what is on that side of it.'' 4. "I will send out the curse,'' says the Lord of hosts; "It shall enter the house of the thief and the house of the one who swears falsely by My name. It shall remain in the midst of his house and consume it, with its timber and stones.'' Zechariah 5:3-4

Don't imagine that this curse applies only to false prophets among the charismatic movement. I've recently heard a certain self righteous radio show host present a taped message repeatedly over the course of a week raising funds for some supporting ministry (without making any statement that the show was canned) and the con went something like this, "I'm really surprised, but we've had very little response to our appeal yesterday, and only managed to raise (a small percentage) of our goal, so don't you want to be found faithful to God with your funds (etc.)) Now this might have been true the first time the tape was played, but certainly wasn't the second, or third, etc. So is telling lies for a "good cause" legitimate if you profess to know God and give lip service to the gospel message? Is it less fraudulent? This type of con has been played many times and by many people professing to know God and by some who teach what appears to be sound doctrine. Anyone can study the Bible and study commentaries and come up with "doctrinally sound" messages or statements based upon them, but this in itself is no indication that they have the Spirit of God. That's probably why the Lord told us that we should know them by their fruit (and the last time that I looked there was no spiritual gift of criticism or accusation to be found in scripture, and contempt or malice has never been a fruit of the Spirit.)

Dodo_David said:

Not me.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Sadly, some people insist that their experience is from God or approved by God if that experience is emotionally pleasing and popular.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I purchased John MacArthur’s book on Creation and I am glad I did as it is excellent. I was browsing another book of his in a book store and came across this claim “Miracles do not happen today.” I did not buy the book as it was obvious that he was a cessationist and I knew that it was not the truth.

One thing that we all need to understand is that we do not believe the bible is the word of God. What we believe is our interpretation is the Word of God as most people preach/teach according to their interpretation.

One man who in the main did not do this was Derek Prince that is why I love his teaching so much and why our church had him every year as our guest speaker at our annual conference. He was gifted with the ability to understand language and was able to expound the original very clearly. I am not saying he never made any mistakes but overall, he was very listenable and informative and I never heard him criticise other leaders.

I have no doubt that a lot of what John says is right but I am convinced that a lot of what he says is wrong. I attended a Brethren Bible College and enjoyed the experience as they were very good on the essentials of the faith. At the same time they were adamant that gifts were not relevant today as everything was in the word.

I know this is error as I have used the gift of discernment and it has been 100% right. On one occasion I was speaking at a FGBF breakfast and afterward I made myself available for prayer. I decided that I would not ask what they wanted prayer for; I would let God show me.

I knelt before the first couple who asked for prayer and the word “incest” came to me. As I did not want to expose this fact to everyone there, I prayed and spoke of their marriage being born in sorrow. As soon as I said that, the woman burst into tears.

As I conversed later with them I said “It was incest wasn't it.” The wife agreed and said it was her grandfather who molested her. The fact that I picked it up supernaturally gave the woman confidence that God heard her plea. I for one am pleased that the gifts have not left the room.

Is John a Christian? I don’t know but I do know that it is an unforgivable sin to call the work of the Holy Spirit the work of Satan. On that basis, I have my doubts despite his stature in the body of Christ and bearing in mind that Jesus said there are people who are going to say we did this in your name and we did that in your name and Jesus said “Depart from me. I never knew you.”

We know that there are false prophets, false teachers and false shepherds, especially in the last days as the love of people grows cold and we seem to believe that it is the “out there” people who fulfil this role, but we have to be careful that this perception does not blind us to the fact that they come in all sorts of forms and guises. In fact, Satan being an angel of light, it is more likely to be people that do not appear to be false.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
marksman said:
Is John a Christian? I don’t know but I do know that it is an unforgivable sin to call the work of the Holy Spirit the work of Satan.
Aren't you begging the question? MacArthur is challenging people to use the Bible to determine if a work is of the Holy Spirit.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dodo_David said:
Aren't you begging the question? MacArthur is challenging people to use the Bible to determine if a work is of the Holy Spirit.
He's actually done a bit more than that (if you were following the excerpts from the Strange Fire conference that were aired on Grace to You.) J.M. literally defined everyone associated with the Charismatic movement as a heretic and in one shot alienated hundreds of thousands of people who have made the good confession and placed their faith in the finished redemptive work of Jesus Christ upon the cross. This might not have been his intention, but he clearly did so. Who or what gave him the right? The man literally treads the line of blaspheming the Holy Spirit, when he lumps together charlatans with born again believers, based upon his own interpretation of scripture. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to appoint yourself an arbiter of scriptural truth, while at the same time teaching non explicitly stated doctrines such as the pre-tribulation rapture of the church? MacArthur's preaching doesn't hold to his own standards.