Suffering

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think suffering is a good thing or a sign of righteousness. I have experienced long periods of suffering and I am not better for it. I am just glad I am not suffering right now. Just being honest

Reactions: GodsGrace and Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does Acts 17 say?

God couldn't put us on a nice new planet with no satan?
Or do we need the bad to see the good?
So do you beat up your dog every now and then so he could
appreciate when you don't?

There's no answer M.

Hi GG,

You think I'd beat my dog?

Not that I have a dog, just the same, no, I don't believe in beating dogs or anything else because of some twisted idea that I'll make it like me more.

No, of course there's no answer to THAT question.

Funny, why would you pick a question like that?

What about asking something more relevant, like, could there be a valid reason for suffering?

I mentioned Acts 17.

Where Paul tells the Athenians that God picked out when and where we would live so that we would seek for Him, though He's not far from any of us.

Romans 8 tells us that God subjected this world to meaninglessness, emptiness, futility, nothing ever REALLY works, no good thing lasts, and whatever you do, it will be gone.

Ecclesiastes really explains this, that God has set the day of adversity against the day of prosperity, so that what one gives, the other takes away, and that God did this so that man would fear Him. That man would recognize that nothing in this creation gives fulfillment, all is chasing after handfuls of wind.

The day of adversity, which takes away, lest we find any good remaining. The day of pain and suffering and loss.

Why were we born into a world with suffering? So that we would find nothing in the world, and seek life from God. Why do we experience suffering in our lives now? In the words of Peter, he who suffers has ceased from sin. Suffering sanctifies us. And suffering convinces us that He is real, and that we are really His children (also Peter, paraphrased).

Much love!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi GG,

You think I'd beat my dog?

Not that I have a dog, just the same, no, I don't believe in beating dogs or anything else because of some twisted idea that I'll make it like me more.

No, of course there's no answer to THAT question.

Funny, why would you pick a question like that?

What about asking something more relevant, like, could there be a valid reason for suffering?

I mentioned Acts 17.

Where Paul tells the Athenians that God picked out when and where we would live so that we would seek for Him, though He's not far from any of us.

Romans 8 tells us that God subjected this world to meaninglessness, emptiness, futility, nothing ever REALLY works, no good thing lasts, and whatever you do, it will be gone.

Ecclesiastes really explains this, that God has set the day of adversity against the day of prosperity, so that what one gives, the other takes away, and that God did this so that man would fear Him. That man would recognize that nothing in this creation gives fulfillment, all is chasing after handfuls of wind.

The day of adversity, which takes away, lest we find any good remaining. The day of pain and suffering and loss.

Why were we born into a world with suffering? So that we would find nothing in the world, and seek life from God. Why do we experience suffering in our lives now? In the words of Peter, he who suffers has ceased from sin. Suffering sanctifies us. And suffering convinces us that He is real, and that we are really His children (also Peter, paraphrased).

Much love!
Catholics believe suffering has some spiritual value and that it can sanctify them.
I don't believe this.
I see no value in suffering except to make the enemy happy for it since it IS HIS terrain.

I don't need to suffer to know God is real.

I don't ask a more valid question because I already know the answer.
There is no answer.
This is the number 1 problem with Christian theology.

I knew you'd never beat up a dog....it was just an example.
If the world became totally GOOD....
after about 3 or 4 generations...the bad would be forgotten.
You think it would be missed?
NO.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I don’t think suffering is a good thing or a sign of righteousness. I have experienced long periods of suffering and I am not better for it. I am just glad I am not suffering right now. Just being honest
AMEN brother!
I second that emotion....
yes.gif

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that I don't need my tummy to ache.
Have you had real pain?
Yeah. I know I don't need that.

Not that it matters, but yes I have had real pain.

How do you know for certain?

Do you believe there CAN BE a pain that needful?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean that Jesus learned obedience by what He suffered?

Hebrews 5
7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Much love!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Not that it matters, but yes I have had real pain.

How do you know for certain?

Do you believe there CAN BE a pain that needful?

Much love!
No. I don't.
However, you've gone and changed the conversation.
I had asked you this:
Your answer would be interesting. (whatever it is).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I don't.
However, you've gone and changed the conversation.
I had asked you this:
Your answer would be interesting. (whatever it is).

Hi GG,

I had been responding to this:

We don't know why God permits it...

I believe the Bible teaches us exactly why God permits suffering, as I've been posting.

As for the world becoming totally good, as this is hypothetical, it's impossible to discuss as a reality, and therefore, we all can speculate whatever we want. Do I miss it when my pain is gone? Not the pain, no. But the gifts that come? Priceless!

Much love!