Surprising Surge Of Young Americans Turn To Religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As reported by the Wall Street Journal, a new study commissioned by Springtide Research Institute found about one-third of 18-to-25-year-olds believe in a higher power, up from one-quarter in 2021. The findings were based on polling data from December.

Church leaders and young adults attribute the increase in faith to believing in a higher power during the Covid crisis:

For many young people, the pandemic was the first crisis they faced. It affected everyone to some degree, from the loss of family and friends to uncertainty about jobs and daily life. In many ways, it aged young Americans and they are now turning to the same comfort previous generations have turned to during tragedies for healing and comfort. --WSJ
Rev. Darryl Roberts, the pastor of the Nineteenth Street Baptist Church in Washington, D.C., said the pandemic, job loss, inflation, and increasing economic worries had left many young people feeling vulnerable and are turning to God for protection.

"We are seeing an openness to transcendence among young people that we haven't seen for some time," said Abigail Visco Rusert, associate dean at Princeton Theological Seminary and an ordained pastor in the Presbyterian Church.
In Los Angeles, rabbi Nicole Guzik said more young adults are attending Friday night services at the synagogue than ever before. She said:

"I think this demographic has a need to connect socially and spiritually."
For many youngsters, the pandemic was the first crisis they've ever faced while in the workforce and without support from their parents.

Believing in God "gives you a reason for living and some hope," said Becca Bell, an 18-year-old college student from Peosta, Iowa.
Could the years of rising religious disaffiliation among Americans have finally hit a plateau?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As reported by the Wall Street Journal, a new study commissioned by Springtide Research Institute found about one-third of 18-to-25-year-olds believe in a higher power, up from one-quarter in 2021. The findings were based on polling data from December.

Church leaders and young adults attribute the increase in faith to believing in a higher power during the Covid crisis:

Rev. Darryl Roberts, the pastor of the Nineteenth Street Baptist Church in Washington, D.C., said the pandemic, job loss, inflation, and increasing economic worries had left many young people feeling vulnerable and are turning to God for protection.

In Los Angeles, rabbi Nicole Guzik said more young adults are attending Friday night services at the synagogue than ever before. She said:

For many youngsters, the pandemic was the first crisis they've ever faced while in the workforce and without support from their parents.

Could the years of rising religious disaffiliation among Americans have finally hit a plateau?

Wonderful news. Brings happiness to my soul to see people turn to the Lord. May God's net be full.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Contrast that poll with this one>>>

OK, so I would have to question that they know what those new Christians believe. I mean how did they find out? Some online poll, which we all know is largely populated with liberal agendas. Hmmm?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have been hearing about outpourings of the Holy Spirit & baptisms at unversties around the U.S. and it continues to happen among young people in colleges & high schools, revivial is happening in the U.S.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have been hearing about outpourings of the Holy Spirit & baptisms at unversties around the U.S. and it continues to happen among young people in colleges & high schools, revivial is happening in the U.S.

Interesting that it's happening almost entirely outside of churches....

One of the most frequently measured religious behaviors is church attendance. The AWVI 2023 found that church attendance has declined since the start of the pandemic by about 6 percentage points. Just one out of three adults (33%) currently attends a church service during a typical week—a decline representing the loss of about 15 million churchgoing adults each week.

Reactions: shortangel

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This story has been more than 20 years in the making.

The rise of Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Neil Tyson Degrasse.

Contrasting with Michael Behe and advocates of Intelligent Design. The wedge document. Along with Ken Ham, Lee Strobel and others.

Not wanting to be ignorant and striving to be literate. I paid attention and remember much of the history. Learned a lot in the process.

But it may have been somewhat wasted time and effort considering I can't find a relevant use for the information.

Last edited:

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To be fair, 33% from 25% is not that huge an increase all things considered... :(

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be fair, 33% from 25% is not that huge an increase all things considered... :(
Considering that this age group probably is about 40 million people in the USA, then 8% more is about 3 million. And I'm hoping more revivals will be taking place as they have been on campuses and churches in recent months. I'm looking for an early 1970's to relive. LOL