Take up the Cross, and Follow Him.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take up the Cross and Follow Him

Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus to his disciples, 'If any one doth will to come after me, let him disown himself, and take up his cross, and follow me,

What do you believe that this means? Is it just some lofty instruction that Jesus had given to the disciples of the Lord? Why does Jesus express if anyone does will? And to let that person disown himself and take up his cross, which is a symbol of death, and follow after Christ?

In my own life for a very long time until around 26 years of life. There was no real relationship with God, and I did not listen, nor did have eyes to see. The life lived was only to serve my own self and my very own desires, and that is how all humans are naturally which is always about self.

Jesus here is expressing that, if anyone desires and has a willingly attitude to follow after him, to let that person deny themselves. Deny themselves? What does that mean? Does it mean we deny ourselves to give up having control in our ability to produce our own works of righteousness and instead be willing to place faith, on the Lord Jesus Christ, and die with Him, be buried with him, and be raised again to new life with him? Allowing Him to work through us by following Him?

I believe that when you are seeking after to learn about the Lord Jesus Christ, he talks about how the disciples of him are to be humble as children, to forgive when people ridicule you, turn the other cheek, to make amends with those who are taking you to court quickly, to pray on the behalf all people, even those who are your enemies. That is all possible to be done by denying ourselves, and allowing the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, and God to work on your mind and heart by seeking, in faith and following the Lord Jesus Christ denying our own will to be done, but allowing Gods will to be done in willingly to make the choice to follow him. The choice is totally yours, some believe there is no choice that is not what Jesus had said.

He clearly said this several times, though the Gospel of Matthew 16:24, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23; 14:27, and it is not an easy thing to hear.

Reactions: amadeus

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 9:24-25
Jesus said :“Take up your cross and follow Me” means being willing to die in order to follow Jesus. This is called “dying to self.” It’s a call to absolute surrender. After each time Jesus commanded cross bearing, He said, “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?”

The cross was a death sentence. If anyone want to be My disciple he must deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow Me declared Jesus. Luke 9:23

How does our love for Christ compare to everything else in this life ?

It has been said that a person is not ready to live until they are first ready to die. That means only once we are ready to die are, we actually ready to live.

In Christendom the reality is most live for themselves and not for the Lord. So, my question is why would the same people want to be in heaven with the Lord when they do not live for Him here?

It’s because of the fear of death, judgment and hell- an escape. People want a free meal ticket out to so they just have to " accept Jesus" then continue to live for themselves.

The disciples sure didn't fear death they looked forward to dying for the sake of the gospel and counted all things lost for Christ. to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Paul desired greatly to be with the Lord and was tortured like Jesus was beaten numerous times and thrown into prison.

Each one of us most likely is wanting to live and might willing to die. Paul was the opposite. Paul was willing to live for the sake of the gospel, but wanting to die and be with the Lord.

Paul writes this facing death after his brutal beating

Philippians 1:20-26
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.

2 Corinthians 11:23-29
I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?

hope this helps !!!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
stauros: an upright stake, hence a cross (the Rom. instrument of crucifixion)
Original Word: σταυρός, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: stauros
Phonetic Spelling: (stow-ros')
Definition: an upright stake, a cross (the Rom. instrument of crucifixion)
Usage: a cross.

4716 staurós – the crosspiece of a Roman cross; the cross-beam (Latin, patibulum) placed at the top of the vertical member to form a capital "T." "This transverse beam was the one carried by the criminal" (Souter).

Christ was crucified on a literal Roman cross (4716 /staurós). 4716 /staurós ("cross") is also used figuratively for the cross (sacrifice) each believer bears to be a true follower-of-Christ (Mt 10:38, 16:24, etc.). The cross represents unspeakable pain, humiliation and suffering – and ironically is also the symbol of infinite love! At the cross, Jesus won our salvation – which is free but certainly not cheap! For more discussion on the untold suffering of Christ on the cross see 4717 /stauróō ("to crucify on a cross").

[The "cross" (Mk 8:34) is not a symbol for suffering in general. Rather it refers to withstanding persecution (difficult times), by the Lord's power, as He directs the circumstances of life. As Christ's disciples, believers are to hold true – even when attacked by the ungodly.]

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 4716: σταυρός

σταυρός, σταυροῦ, ὁ (from ἵστημι (root sta); cf. Latinstauro, English staff (see Skeat, Etymological Dictionary, under the word); Curtius, § 216; Vanicek, p. 1126);
1. an upright stake, especially a pointed one (Homer, Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon).

2. a cross;

a. the well-known instrument of most cruel and ignominious punishment, borrowed by the Greeks and Romans from the Phoenicians; to it were affixed among the Romans, down to the time of Constantine the Great, the guiltiest criminals, particularly the basest slaves, robbers, the authors and abetters of insurrections, and occasionally in the provinces, at the arbitrary pleasure of the governors, upright and peaceable men also, and even Roman citizens themselves; cf. Winers RWB, under the word Kreuzigung; Merz in Herzog edition 1 ((cf. Schaff-Herzog) also Schultze in Herzog edition 2), under the word Kreuz; Keim, iii., p. 409ff. (English translation, vi. 138; BB. DD., see under the words, Cross, Crucifixion; O. Zöckler, Das Kreuz Christi (Gütersloh, 1875); English translation, Lond. 1878; Fulda, Das Kreuz u. d. Kreuzigung (Bresl. 1878); Edersheim, Jesus the Messiah, ii. 582ff). This horrible punishment the innocent Jesus also suffered: Matthew 27:32, 40, 42; Mark 15:21, 30, 32; Luke 23:26; John 19:17, 19, 25, 31; Colossians 2:14; Hebrews 12:2; θάνατος σταυροῦ, Philippians 2:8; τό αἷμα τοῦ σταυροῦ, blood shed on the cross; Colossians 1:20.

b. equivalent to the crucifixion which Christ underwent: Galatians 5:11 (on which see σκάνδαλον, under the end); Ephesians 2:16; with the addition of τοῦ Χριστοῦ, 1 Corinthians 1:17; the saving power of his crucifixion, Philippians 3:18 (on which see ἐχθρός, at the end); Galatians 6:14; τῷ σταυρῷ τοῦ Χριστοῦ διώκεσθαι, to encounter persecution on account of one's avowed belief in the saving efficacy of Christ's crucifixion, Galatians 6:12; ὁ λόγος ὁ τοῦ σταυροῦ, the doctrine concerning the saving power of the death on the cross endured by Christ, 1 Corinthians 1:18. The judicial usage which compelled those condemned to crucifixion themselves to carry the cross to the place of punishment (Plutarch, de sara numinis vindict. c. 9; Artemidorus Daldianus, oneir. 2, 56, cf. John 19:17), gave rise to the proverbial expression αἴρειν or λαμβάνειν or βαστάζειν τόν σταυρόν αὐτοῦ, which was usually used by those who, on behalf of God's cause, do not hesitate cheerfully and manfully to bear persecutions, troubles, distresses — thus recalling the fate of Christ and the spirit in which he encountered it (cf. Bleek, Synop. Erkl. der drei ersten Evangg. i, p. 439f): Matthew 10:38; Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Mark 10:21 (R L in brackets); ; Luke 9:23; Luke 14:27

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christian called to a life of suffering!

Patience Implies suffering!

In order to bear fruit we must deny ourself, suffer, and die!

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Jn 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Matthew 24:42
Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

Verses of Christian suffering:

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Tim 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG Below is a Bible study done nearly 20 years ago a now departed brother from Montana:

TAKING UP MY CROSS DAILY: Lu 9:23

“And he said to them all, If any man will
come after me, let him deny
himself, and take up his cross daily, and
follow me.” Luke 9:23

FIRST deny myself: Putting God before all my obligations: Luke 14:26

“If any man come to me, and hate not his
father, and mother, and wife, and children,
and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.” Luke 14:26

If I don’t take up my cross? I cannot learn from Jesus: Lu 14:27

And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.” Luke 14:27

If I do take up my cross: He can repair, adjust & complete me thoroughly: Lu 6:40

“The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master” Luke 6:40

When do I lay it down
? Nightly, when I go to sleep

God gives sleep to His beloved: Ps 127:2

“It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.’ Psalm 127:2

While my mind sleeps my heart wakes to God: Song of So 5:2

“I sleep, but my heart waketh: it is the voice of my beloved that knocketh, saying, Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled: for my head is filled with dew, and my locks with the drops of the night.” Song of Solomon 5:2

God adjusts me, opens, seals, withdraws, hides & keeps: Job 33:14-18

“For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.
In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men,
in slumberings upon the bed;
Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,
That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man.
He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.” Job 33:14-18

When do I pick it up? - each morning when I wake up: Ps 143:8

“Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.” Psalm 143:8

How do I carry it? - with my conscious mind - each day: Mt 22:37

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” Matt 22:37

SECOND: take up my cross: (I need 6 things for crucifixion)

1. Who does the crucifying? my new man: Ro 8:13

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” Rom 8:13

2. What is to be crucified? My fleshly affections & lusts: Ga 5:24

"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." Gal 5:24

(It is not past tense! = stauroo #4717, crucify, impale) mortify: Col 3:5

“Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:” Col 3:5

affections = pathema #3804, emotions, thoughts, influences: Ro 8:18, II Cor 10:5

“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” Rom 8:18,

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” II Cor 10:5

lusts = epithumia #1939, longings,desires: Mark 4:19, John 8:44, Rom 6:2

“And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the
lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.” Mark 4:19

“Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do.
He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it” John 8:44

“Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” Rom 6:2

Reactions: MatthewG

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued:

3 The Nails: God’s words [only goads, if no cross): Ec 12:11

“The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd.” Ecc 12:11

Jesus’ example: “written”, “written” & said”: Lu 4:4, 8, 12

“And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.” Luke 4:4

”And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve” Luke 4:8

”And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.” Luke 4:12

Paul’s example: “that which I have committed”: 2ti 1:12

“For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.” II Tim 1:12

4 The Hammer: Speaking it and not just thinking it: Ps 32:3

“When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.” Psalm 32:3

Salvation comes through the tongue: Ro 10:9-10

“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteous ness; and with the
mouth confession is made unto salvation” Rom 10:9-10

Half of overcoming is the word of our testimony: Re 12:11

“And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.” Rev 12:11

5 Aiming Correctly: Believing what I speak: Mr 11:23

“For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.” Mark 11:23

Using God’s Word according to His daily purpose: Isa 55:11, Heb 13:5

“So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11

“Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with
such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.” Heb 13:5-6

I believed, therefore I have spoken: 2co 4:13

“We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;” II Cor 4:13

6 The Cross: The mind of Christ (see separate study): Php 2:2-8

“Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.” Phil 2:5-8

I must arm myself with Jesus’ mind: 1pe 4:1-3

“Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:” I Peter 4:1-3

Putting on Christ, is putting on his mind, thinking like him: Ro 13:14

“But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” Rom 13:14

THIRD: follow Jesus: I must not forget to follow Jesus after I pick up my cross today! I need His light to expose today’s portion of flesh that He wants me to nail down. He will be my Teacher, I will be His pupil.

Reactions: MatthewG