The Attributes of God 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is One, a Unity

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD is our God, the LORD alone." (Deut 6:4 NRSV)

"So all the peoples of the earth will know that the Lord[Yahweh] is God, he and no other, and you will be perfect in loyalty to the Lord[Yahweh] our God as you are this day, conforming to his statutes and observing his commandments.’" (1Kgs 8:60-61 REB) *While the Bible refers to some imminent mortals, men as "god(s)" never are they or "a god" to be worshipped. That would be idolatry. In our English translations, YHWH or the LORD, or Yahweh, or Jehovah refer to the One True God, the Creator. The traditional, standard English translations such as the KJV, ERV, RSV and NRSV translate "the LORD"

"Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god." (Isa 44:6 RSV)

"There is one body, and one Spirit, even as also ye were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all, and through all, and in all." (Eph 4:4-6 ASV)

"Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the offspring should come to whom the promise had been made; and it was ordained by angels through an intermediary. Now an intermediary implies more than one; but God is one." (Gal 3:19-20 RSV) * The Hebrew name for God, YHWH or the LORD, or Yahweh, or Jehovah refer to the One True God.

God is Omnipresent

"Where can I go from your spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there. If I take the wings of the morning and settle at the farthest limits of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast." (Ps 139:7-10 NRSV)

“I am a God who is everywhere and not in one place only. No one can hide where I cannot see them. Do you not know that I am everywhere in heaven and on earth? (Jer 23:23-24 GNB92)

"They were to seek God in the hope that, groping after him, they might find him; though indeed he is not far from each one of us, for in him we live and move, in him we exist; as some of your own poets have said, 'We are also his offspring.'” (Acts 17:27-28 REB) *That Gentile poet quoted by Paul is Aratus of Soli in Cilicia (ab. B.C. 270)

God is Immense

“But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Even heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you, much less this house that I have built!" (1Kgs 8:27 NRSV)

"Thus says the LORD: “Heaven is my throne and the earth is my footstool; what is the house which you would build for me, and what is the place of my rest?" (Isa 66:1 RSV)

God is Omnipotent, all Powerful

"When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said to him, “I am God Almighty[Traditional rendering of Heb El Shaddai]; walk before me, and be blameless." (Gen 17:1 NRSV)

"Jesus looked at them and said, ‘For men this is impossible; but everything is possible for God.’" (Matt 19:26 REB)

"Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the sound of many waters and like the sound of mighty thunderpeals, crying out, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns." (Rev 19:6 NRSV)

God is Omniscient

"Set forth your case, says the LORD; bring your proofs, says the King of Jacob. Let them bring them, and tell us what is to happen. Tell us the former things, what they are, so that we may consider them, and that we may know their outcome; or declare to us the things to come. Tell us what is to come hereafter, that we may know that you are gods; do good, or do harm, that we may be afraid and terrified.{ (Isa 41:21-23 NRSV) * This exposes the ignorance of idols in contrast to the LORD

"The tongues of the wise spread knowledge; the stupid talk a lot of nonsense. The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, surveying everyone, good and evil." (Prov 15:2-3 REB)

"Then the spirit of the LORD fell upon me, and he said to me, “Say, Thus says the LORD: This is what you think, O house of Israel; I know the things that come into your mind." (Ezek 11:5 NRSV) * God knows our every plan, dream or fantasy!

"This, then, is how we will know that we belong to the truth; this is how we will be confident in God's presence. If our conscience condemns us, we know that God is greater than our conscience and that he knows everything." (1John 3:19-20 GNB92)