The bible is so boring

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
I find it hard to read anything other than the 4 gospels, everything else seems boring, especially the OT. Could I just stick to the gospels and ignore everything else?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, you could, but you would be missing out on a lot. I used to think the Bible was boring too, when I was younger and had no context to place the names and events into. I found using a timeline to be helpful.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Same as aspen until I joined a study group. Bible study is fun when you are learning with a group of people. Our HG leader use to bring it alive for us. Study challenges your thinking and brings you into the picture... :)

Bless you

Reactions: Angelina

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find Acts exciting, and also Genesis. I love the Psalms, and Proverbs. I have come to understand prophesy from Daniel and Revelation. I have read the new testament much more than the old testament, yet gain from both. All things written are for our learning. Romans 15:4
There is book out called the Red Letter Bible which has the teachings of Jesus. Very cool I think. But for the gospel question, yes is the true answer, but it would be more profitable to read the whole thing. The entire Bible is the complete story of God's love for His creation. It starts with the beginning of creation, has many hills and valleys, and ends with eternal bliss. It is the only book that gives us insight to the true nature of God, and the true events that will happen in the future. The very words of the book are light in the darkness. In fact it is what Jesus uses against Satan during His temptation, and Satan in turn attempts to use it as a stumbling block against Jesus. I think it prudent to read and understand it in its entirety, as others may attempt use it against any believer.
I have once heard there are two gods in the Bible, one from the O.T. who is mean, vengeful, and full of wrath. Then one in the new testament, Jesus who is kind and loving. I can easily say God is the same in both old and new testament. God is the same then, now, and forever. A lesson given by the bible itself. Throughout scripture there is a wealth of knowledge and wisdom.

Let me suggest a few things.
Pray to God to remove that which pulls you away from His holy scriptures. (In turn that will allow the scriptures to come alive and thus be more exciting to you)
Pray to allow the HolySpirit to reveal understanding and allow retention of what you read.
Quick side note about prayer, if you don not receive what you desire immediately, continue to ask in prayer.(Not so sure that works for material things though)
As posted earlier, get with a group if you can.
I find an audio version is a good tool, I have one on my Iphone and love it. It was a free app. I use the New American Standard Bible, which I feel is an excellent translation and is easy to understand.
I see all of the bible as historical true events, written by divinely inspired authors, preserved by God, so we may come to know Him, truth, and salvation. That which is parable or metaphor is just that, the rest actually happened. The funny thing is the more science tries to disprove the Bible, the more it is proven.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I find it hard to read anything other than the 4 gospels, everything else seems boring, especially the OT. Could I just stick to the gospels and ignore everything else?

I don't find the bible boring at all, and especially the Old Testament, which is rich with history and facts and the ecord of many acts of God that are so exciting. One thing that may help you is what I am doing: reading the bible through using a chronological bible, where every book and chapter is placed in the order as it happened. I recommend a modern day English translation and it should just come alive for you.

Here is a post you can read that may show you how God's word is a personal mesage to you:

http://www.christian...post__p__140044

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Get and use a good bible commentary - its really helpful and gives you clearer context to what you are reading.

In Christ,

M

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The bible (actually the word) is the field we find the treasure in...:)

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The bible (actually the word) is the field we find the treasure in... :)

Amen! The word of God is spiritual food. I don't find food boring! To be honest, though, I believe I am like many Christians in that I have to discipline myself to read the bible daily, but it isn't because the word is boring, or unexciting---it's because the flesh ebbs and wanes in fervor for the Lord. We are to rise above the soulish realm and its tendency to run things, making ourt hearts hard.

As you have said, episkopos---the word is like a field. We need to plough it and cultivate it--get into it and get our hands dirty and callused with it!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I simply had no interest of the bible at all growing up. I would make it through the story of Adam and Eve... That was the extent of my interest in the bible...

But... When the Spirit of God came into my heart I could not get enough of it!

LukaszR

Nov 9, 2009
Toronto
I have to admit, but I too find it hard to get into "His Word". I can't say I find it boring, I just find myself doing so many other things rather then reading. Truth is, I'm not a huge reader, so to pick up the bible and read doesn't excite me very much. Guess the best thing to do is to keep at it and pray and pray.

None the less, to the OP, you defintiely want to be reading the ENTIRE bible, there's just so much to learn and there's very important teachings in there to help Us stay on the right path.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true - I understand the Bible in a different way since I experienced God in a powerful way during prayer 3 years ago. It is weird because the meaning hasn't really changed, and yet, it has totally affected me in a new way. Instead of focusing on the facts, I am now obsessed with the transformation of the Holy Spirit in our hearts.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
When I first picked up a bass guitar it was really difficult. With determination would give it up. After learning a few basics the chance to finally play a song came forth. Many things without a little learning can be uninteresting. The results of staying with it is that after 40 years have been playing drums guitar, bass, piano, clarinette, sax, accordion, harmonica, melodian, flute, recorder, and now I play piano with my feet while playing a twelve string g. and harmonica and sing over 80 songs God gave me. Not to mention God has shown me many things in the bible no one in the world knows. He tells me them himself. Have been in many gospel bands. worship leader in churches, taught others to play. and much more it has been a great joy thank you Jesus.

ttruscott

Feb 3, 2012
Wet Coast of Canada
I've not read every post on this topic so Ihope I'm not doubling up but

please consder that every time you pick up a Bible, you are engaging in an act of war ! (?)

You immediately attract the enemy and they will attack your resolve, your persistance, cloud your mind, send in the cat, make you hungry, the phone will start ringing and you will fall asleep!

BTDT - bin there, done that! :) The more you prayerfully fight it out, the stronger you get and the demons give up.

Don't you give up!!

Ted

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've not read every post on this topic so Ihope I'm not doubling up but

please consder that every time you pick up a Bible, you are engaging in an act of war ! (?)

You immediately attract the enemy and they will attack your resolve, your persistance, cloud your mind, send in the cat, make you hungry, the phone will start ringing and you will fall asleep!

BTDT - bin there, done that! :) The more you prayerfully fight it out, the stronger you get and the demons give up.

Don't you give up!!

Ted

This is wisdom talking....so very true!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm one of those who don't understand why you think the OT and the Bible is boring. It must be the language and the fact that you have to read with understanding. It doesn't seem boring to me when God killed everyone but eight souls. It doesn't seem boring to me when two angels walked into a city and dragged 4 people out before destroying it. We have a man arguing with his donkey and he ends up kicking, talking and aguing with his own ass, and I don't mean the donkey! You have preachers telling people they are wrong and sinning when they are walking around naked in the street. You also have one of the nastiest SOBs in Jehu who rode into a town and everyone was pissed! Even Clint Eastwood in his spaghetti westerns didn't have that type of reputation. and some of the greatest erotic stories given in the Songs of Solomon! Action, comedy, eroticism and drama.... All in the BIble!

It does take some work. You have to use you mind to figure out what it's saying. But the Bible is the greatest story ever told. I admire the works of Tolkien, Steven King and Poe, but they pale in comparison to the Bible's drama.

Reactions: Lively Stone

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Nope. Not if you want to fully... understand The Gospel Books, with the Book of John being the most spiritually challenging.

Our Heavenly Father gave us the foundation of His Truth in the Old Testament Books, for The Gospel of Jesus Christ is... written within them also. It just requires a certain amount of Bible study to discover that though.

NicholasMarks

Aug 23, 2011

The Holy Bible does come across as a bit boring until we have a body of understanding under our belt. If we know already what God's answer to our many problems will be we can converse with him and match his faq against our problems and know what His Biblically declared answer will be in an instant. But. more than this, by delving into his righteousness we also become a little righteous ourselves and that righteousness can grow and grow. Righteousness is a mechanics which upbuilds our spirit...and remember...Jesus Christ's whole life culminated into our spiritual welfare...mainly because, our resurrection, like Jesus Christ's, is guaranteed by our righteous spirit. So, regardless what anyone else tells you, slowly, quietly, calmly, and with due respect, delve, first into what Jesus Christ actually teaches. You will find that it is the direct opposite of what those ruining the Earth are saying and doing...and it is Jesus Christ, through the pages of God's written word, who tells us all about it.

Reactions: aspen