The Character of God - Reader Poll

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How would you describe the character of God?

• 1) Loving

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • 2) Wrathful

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 3) Merciful

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • 4) Aloof and uncaring

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 5) Compassionate

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • 6) Angry

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • 7) Other - please comment

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Holy and Righteous were both not on the list.

The frist thing I learned when God revealed Himself to me was that He is not an angry God. He is a Holy and Righteous God and while tis does necessitate the punishment for sin, it doesn't make Him angry by nature.

That dont mean that God isnt to be feared because He is to be feared, but He has to be Judge or He isnt holy and full of righteousness. So it is not accurate (to me) to ascribe God as being wrathful and angry when He is not!

Have you ever been to court? Was the judge angry? Are all judges angry because of their job?! No, my friends. It's just a job. I've seen plenty of videos where defendants are acting up in court, and 6 Baliffs have to jump on the guy and restrain him or remove him from the proceedings. But they arent angry...!!! They just do what they have to do, 6 more Baliffs! 12!! So God is not an angry God. He can get angry if you push Him too much with your wickedness or abuse His Children, but that is not His nature. That was just an inmate acted out wickedly so they to be put down.
God sure does get angry, here are just a few verses stating so:

Exodus 32:10, it says, "Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation." This passage describes God's anger towards the Israelites for their disobedience and idolatry."

• Deuteronomy 6:15
    "(for the LORD your God is a jealous God among you), lest the anger of the LORD your God be aroused against you and destroy you from the face of the earth."
  • Psalm 7:11
    "God is a just judge,
    And God is angry with the wicked every day."

• Psalm 18:7
    "Then the earth shook and trembled;
    The foundations of the hills also quaked and were shaken,
    Because He was angry."

Reactions: The Learner

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I was thinking that His Love is not unconditional - strange how the term 'Unconditional Love' rolls off tongues, yet Scripture does not support such a concept. It is incompatible with Holiness. If His Love was unconditional Jesus would not have needed to be offered, and suffer as a sacrificial Lamb.

Rom 11
21For if God did not spare the natural branches, He will certainly not spare you either. 22Take notice, therefore, of the kindness and severity of God: severity to those who fell, but kindness to you, if you continue in His kindness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.…

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God sure does get angry, here are just a few verses stating so:

Exodus 32:10, it says, "Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation." This passage describes God's anger towards the Israelites for their disobedience and idolatry."

• Deuteronomy 6:15
    "(for the LORD your God is a jealous God among you), lest the anger of the LORD your God be aroused against you and destroy you from the face of the earth."
  • Psalm 7:11
    "God is a just judge,
    And God is angry with the wicked every day."
  • Psalm 18:7
    "Then the earth shook and trembled;
    The foundations of the hills also quaked and were shaken,
    Because He was angry."

You might have read my post too fast Sister. I didnt say God never gets angry. I said it is not His nature to be angry. Lower down in my post I said God can get angry. We can make God angry, though it's not advisable, lol. You see, when God gets angry it is because of the wickedness of man. So God's anger is of a cause and effect thing. Be-(cause) man sins all the time it will effectually be an angry response from God.

Making other beings angry is easy. So man is good at it. Making friends with them would also be a bigger challenge...yet that's what He told us to do! So yes, God sure can gt angry!

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The character of God is He loves all people, but hates the sin. That's the simplest way to put I think.

God has a high standard for what is righteous and He won't compromise on it. He is triggered easily by sin and what is genuinely evil. He may react angrily or He might do something. It especially depends on the frequency and intensity of the sin. God can put a curse on unrepentant sinners, towns, cities, even entire countries, like a dark cloud over them that never seems to leave. He can also remove it.

He wants to know everyone, but sometimes wants people to focus on their life. However, He is always watching, observing, remembering every little thing you did. God doesn't forget a single word you say or a single thought you had. If God wants to say something to you, He has ways of getting your attention. If it takes years of trying, He may be inclined to keep trying. I've seen it before.

God is merciful and the kind of people He wants to associate with are those who are genuinely repentant, love Him and His Son, and are genuinely striving toward righteousness. He wants to associate with people like Jesus. Yes, He expects you confess your sins when/if you sin and is mindful of those secret sins you didn't confess. He knows it all already. There is no use trying to justify yourself before the One Who sees all and knows all.

He has no favorites, but He gives favor to many.

He is the Lord of Glory, the Father of mercy, the God of love. Be grateful for everything, be humble about everything, love Him, don't test Him (that's annoying) and you will go far with God.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Carl Emerson said:
@Nancy Yes no doubt, but this is not a predominant aspect of His Character. but a response to wickedness.
Hello Carl,
If God is angry with the wicked everyday, that does seem to be as predominant as His other attributes...?
Yes, this is a curious thing.
I hope you don't mind we adding my 2 cents worth here.
I'm replying to both you and my long-time friend @Carl Emerson

God is omniscient, that is all-knowing.
He knew before the creation of the physical universe how this would play out.
Therefore, nothing should come as a surprise. God is omniscient.

God is also the Logos, the logic/reason/plan for what would unfold in the creation.
The Logos BECAME flesh and dwelt among us.

This begs a few questions:
1) Should an omniscient God be surprised by wickedness? (sin)
2) Did the omniscient God (the Logos) not anticipate wickedness? (sin)
3) If the answer to the previous two question is "No.", would wrath be an appropriate response?
4) How do we characterize an enraged human who creates their own disaster?
They had it coming, right? No one to blame but themselves. ???
5) How is God any different? Does he operate below the standard he holds us to?

/

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
4) How do we characterize an enraged human who creates their own disaster?
We had this one member of my department who was a constant complainer. One of my other coworkers said of him, "That guy, he wouldn't be happy unless he was bitching about something!"

What I'm hearing here is that it's the same way with God. He sovereignly allowed The Man and The Woman to get tempted in the garden, and now He's pissed at the results. Are we saying that God wouldn't be happy unless He's pissed-off at something? Isn't that faintly blasphemous?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't that faintly blasphemous?
Great post!

I'd say COMPLETELY blasphemous, if I believed that God would actually become angry with us.
Which I don't.

It seems that blasphemy is usually a charge leveled by humans. I don't recall God taking personal issue with it.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is NOT to say that God doesn't sometimes want us to change our behavior and attitude.
Absolutely!

... be transformed by the renewing of your minds...
THEN you will be able to know and "approve" God's will...
God's good, pleasing and perfect will.

/

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In answer to the OP, all but number 4. God obviously cares about all of His creation ~ the universe ~ as He created it all for His own glory and declared it all "very good."

And narrowing this down to God's relationship with and to man: We are created specially, in His image. Part of what this means is that we have emotions because God has emotions. Regarding such, the difference between Creator (God, of course) and His created (man) is that God's emotions... including anger, jealousy, and many other things we might consider negative ~ because we only know them from our sinful perspective... are wholly holy, and thus righteous, totally devoid of sin.

Grace and peace to all.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for joining the discussion and for voting. (assuming)
And narrowing this down to God's relationship with and to man: We are created specially, in His image. Part of what this means is that we have emotions because God has emotions.
Agree.
Regarding such, the difference between Creator (God, of course) and His created (man) is that God's emotions... including anger, jealousy, and many other things we might consider negative ~ because we only know them from our sinful perspective... are wholly holy, and thus righteous, totally devoid of sin.
I'm familiar with this common whitewashing of God's questionably assigned attributes.
Unfortunately, it creates a double-standard. Bad (sinful) if done by humans/fine (not sinful) if done by God.

Jesus taught us to love our enemies, which is godly behavior. Scripture below.
If we are required to love our enemies, what should God do with his own enemies?
Weren't they forgiven on the cross?

Does God operate at a lower standard than he holds us to?

Matthew 5:43-48 NRSVue
“You have heard that it was said,
‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
44 But I say to you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven,
for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good and sends
rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous.
46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have?
Do not even the tax collectors do the same?
47 And if you greet only your brothers and sisters,
what more are you doing than others? Do not even the gentiles do the same?
48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

/

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm familiar with this common whitewashing of God's questionably assigned attributes.
LOL! His Word is very clear about His attributes. And, as you must know:

"...what can be known about God is plain to (all), because God has shown it to (all). For His invisible attributes, namely, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made" (Romans 1:19-20).​

Unfortunately, it creates a double-standard. Bad (sinful) if done by humans/fine (not sinful) if done by God.
No "double standard..." With all due respect, what you say here is very shortsighted. The way in which things manifest themselves in God is sinless, whereas the way in which they manifest themselves in people is sinful. Just to take anger as an example, there is such thing as a holy and righteous ~ and thus sinless ~ anger, but there is also an unholy, unrighteous ~ and thus sinful ~ anger. The two manifestations are very, very different.

Jesus taught us to love our enemies, which is godly behavior.
Certainly, but you seem to imply a very limited view of love.

If we are required to love our enemies, what should God do with his own enemies?
Would you propose we counsel God according to our own standards of love and justice?

Weren't they forgiven on the cross?
Possibly. :) But... possibly not. Jesus's atonement was sufficient for all, certainly ~ so everyone is "eligible" ~ but only effectual for God's elect, as this depends on God's mercy/compassion, which He gives to those whom He wills and does not give to those whom He wills (Romans 9).

Does God operate at a lower standard than he holds us to?
Actually, I would redirect that question thusly: Does God hold us to a lower standard than He holds Himself to? No, right?

So if we fall short ~ and we do (to put it mildly) ~ then will He compromise His standard... and even Himself... for us?

Or does He provide a way ~ actually a Way ~ for us to meet that standard... a Savior Who meets that standard on our behalf, redeeming and thereby reconciling us to God? :)

Matthew 5:43-48 NRSVue
“You have heard that it was said,
‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
44 But I say to you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven,
for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good and sends
rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous.
46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have?
Do not even the tax collectors do the same?
47 And if you greet only your brothers and sisters,
what more are you doing than others? Do not even the gentiles do the same?
48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
A great passage, to be sure. It seems to me that how you might define love and perfection is at least somewhat different ~ lower (again, to put it mildly), really ~ than God's. Which makes sense, actually; as Isaiah (quoting God) said...

"...My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways... For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9).​

... as David said...

"O LORD, You have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, You know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it" (Psalm 139:1-6).​

...and Paul:

"Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and how inscrutable His ways! 'For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to Him that He might be repaid?' For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen" (Romans 11:33-36).​

Grace and peace to you.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL! His Word is very clear about His attributes. And, as you must know:

"...what can be known about God is plain to (all), because God has shown it to (all). For His invisible attributes, namely, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made" (Romans 1:19-20).
How does that support what you said here?
And narrowing this down to God's relationship with and to man: We are created specially, in His image. Part of what this means is that we have emotions because God has emotions. Regarding such, the difference between Creator (God, of course) and His created (man) is that God's emotions... including anger, jealousy, and many other things we might consider negative ~ because we only know them from our sinful perspective... are wholly holy, and thus righteous, totally devoid of sin.
???

/

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...narrowing this down to God's relationship with and to man: We are created specially, in His image. Part of what this means is that we have emotions because God has emotions. Regarding such, the difference between Creator (God, of course) and His created (man) is that God's emotions... including anger, jealousy, and many other things we might consider negative ~ because we only know them from our sinful perspective... are wholly holy, and thus righteous, totally devoid of sin.
Ah. Yes, I'm not surprised.

According to the standards he holds us to.
Define those standards, Steven. And with all due respect, I would exhort you to be careful in doing so.

Grace and peace to you.

Reactions: MA2444