The Choice Is Ours = Deuteronomy 30;19, Joshua 24;15

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that people mostly follow others, be they family members, or church ministers, or friends, or respected/revered persons in secular activities [e.g. movie stars, sports figures, politicians]. For a person to actually change from that initial focus in his 'church'... unless it is move away from God completely becoming an unbeliever... is not such a common usual thing. For the most part they either leave churches altogether or they stay where they have always been.

As to the evidence someone does use to change or establish their belief, why should anyone believe other writings more than what is in the Bible? That they sometimes do, we know. What kind of evidence is a history book? What is even scientific evidence to one who is not a pure scientist?

For you the name of God is important. For me, it is as well, but in a different sense. On forums like this people outside of your church group may understand what mean when you speak of changing His name. I suspect not many in other assemblies offline who never frequent open forums similar to this one would have a clue what you even meant by changing His name. Certainly not by the Bible, which so many have scarcely read at all or in their reading their focus has been mostly to support what they have already been taught by someone.

How much did a person love the spouse married supposedly "until death do us part" when first they met? Usually did not real love have to grow between the two?

What couple did not have serious difficulties not long after the marriage ceremony as they began to really get to know each other?

Why is it that so many marriages do not last a long lifetime?

Why does the initial attraction fade away and regret build within them?

What became of any initial promise to endure through sickness and adversity loving that person until death?

As long as things were going well, well! Did people so quickly come to doubt what they promised initially?

Where did that supposed "love" go after a couple of rough years of really seeing and getting to know that other person?

Are not a lot of people "serving" God like that? While it is an easy thing to do which is what others expect, they may be there in church sitting in the pew... but do they really love God all the times when they are not in that building and on that pew? Have they forgotten Him, like so many have forgotten their spouses, when they walk out the door... at least until next time? Will they flirt then with whoever or whatever attracts them when seemingly no one who knows them is watching?

When and where and for how long do these words penned by Apostle Paul fit into the equation?

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." I Cor 13:4-7

You are a very wise man Amad. Yes sir, love of God is a growth process. Some slip back to needing milk, rather than solid food, some as you stated walk away altogether. I agree that most I would mention that to would have absolutely no idea at all what I was speaking about, at one time I didn't either. But, yes but, when I heard it I investigated. In that growth process, which weeds out sincere ones I might add, we take in more knowledge. Right hearted ones will act upon that knowledge. Most people say the Lord when speaking about God, I hear it all the time, and in my somewhat advanced (yet so far from maturity) stage of Christianity wonder how God feels about it. It is rather easy to see how names are extremely important to God by reading scripture, and although most don't read it, virtually everyone can recite the Lord's prayer, and discerning ones might observe that Jesus gave it in a descending order of importance, with God's name being sanctified, or held holy stated first.

I brought out to individuals how their salvation was dependent upon calling on Jehovah's name, according to Romans 10:13, and fully realize that most would think the verse was speaking about Jesus, having absolutely no idea that Paul was quoting Joel 2:32 there. It is questions that motivate others to prove to themselves if what I am saying is true, if their heart moves them to do so. I am even willing to guide them further if they ask, as perhaps you may have noticed in the past.

Each of us have different talents, and skills, and present the information in different ways, which of course reach different hearts, that is why one of us plants, and others water, but we all recognize that ultimately it is actually the heart condition of the individual which is the basis for God making it grow sir.

I can see that you are a very sincere and loving individual, and I certainly appreciate you for a fact. And you made the best point in the world as well, as love covers a multitude of sins. Keep in mind, like most we speak to recognizes, they would not want to go door to door with the message, we are simply humans as well with the same feelings, but if you believed you could save a life would you? Most of us have stated at one time early on, we will never go door to door, but as our love for Jehovah and our neighbor grew, all of us did, if we could that is. All of God's witnesses, witness in some form.

Reactions: amadeus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said 'When Jesus returns one of the qualifications for life is knowing God, I don't say this, the Bible does 2 Cor 1:8'.

Here is 2 Cor 1:8 "But as God is true, our word toward you was not yea and nay."
Where in this verse, does the Bible say what you say it does.?

I feel so sorry for those people who went to all of the work, even unto death, to be able to give us the scriptures, and didn't call the Lord by his name, all the martyrs-- According to your writing, they will not have life. Now do you see how making blanket statements is kinda goofy if we learn the circumstances?

And you also said "Because as I pointed out, calling on His name is a requirement for life Rom 10:13."
Here is
Romans 10:13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” These folk didn't

Matt 14:30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner."

You wrote:
"Another verse among my favorites is found at Josh 24:15 when we were disputing among ourselves then, Joshua pointed out much of what Jehovah had done for us, but many were complaining, so Joshua told them point blank, you think Jehovah is evil, fine, serve the gods you choose, but as for me and my household we shall serve Jehovah"

Joshua 24:15
"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

I stated the truth too, and I already explained about how I wouldn't call my Father by his first name, out of respect. Has nothing to do with a close friend. You are the one who used the close friend argument. I was not part of that. It doesn't work. What did you call your Father? And why?

You also said this:
"When Jesus returns one of the qualifications for life is knowing God, I don't say this, the Bible does 2 Cor 1:8."

I thought you guys believed that Jesus is already here, since 1914.

Lev 19:18, Deut 6:5

I am a moron Cassy, I meant to say 2 Thes 1:8. When Jesus returns knowing God is a requirement for survival.

May I ask you who the Lord is at Romans 10:13?

Was it disrespectful for Jesus to use God's name, or the other apostles? Would a true Christian not follow Jesus in making God's name manifest as he did since we are under the obligation to teach all the things he commanded?

Jesus gave signs of his presence maam, which were recorded for us at Mat 24, which meant he received the crown of Kingship. This as he pointed out would usher in a time period that would not exceed a generation before his return. His return is mentioned where I mistakenly put the wrong scripture. It will be very observable whereas his presence would not be discerned by most.

Sorry for my mistake maam. I think you are able to observe how your beliefs have been formed very differently than mine by the choice of Bible versions of study. Please research what LORD means, and why the translators chose to use it. God's name is well known today, we live in the age of information, and it is easy to see how and why people manipulated Scripture.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are a very wise man Amad. Yes sir, love of God is a growth process. Some slip back to needing milk, rather than solid food, some as you stated walk away altogether. I agree that most I would mention that to would have absolutely no idea at all what I was speaking about, at one time I didn't either. But, yes but, when I heard it I investigated. In that growth process, which weeds out sincere ones I might add, we take in more knowledge. Right hearted ones will act upon that knowledge. Most people say the Lord when speaking about God, I hear it all the time, and in my somewhat advanced (yet so far from maturity) stage of Christianity wonder how God feels about it. It is rather easy to see how names are extremely important to God by reading scripture, and although most don't read it, virtually everyone can recite the Lord's prayer, and discerning ones might observe that Jesus gave it in a descending order of importance, with God's name being sanctified, or held holy stated first.

I brought out to individuals how their salvation was dependent upon calling on Jehovah's name, according to Romans 10:13, and fully realize that most would think the verse was speaking about Jesus, having absolutely no idea that Paul was quoting Joel 2:32 there. It is questions that motivate others to prove to themselves if what I am saying is true, if their heart moves them to do so. I am even willing to guide them further if they ask, as perhaps you may have noticed in the past.

Each of us have different talents, and skills, and present the information in different ways, which of course reach different hearts, that is why one of us plants, and others water, but we all recognize that ultimately it is actually the heart condition of the individual which is the basis for God making it grow sir.

I can see that you are a very sincere and loving individual, and I certainly appreciate you for a fact. And you made the best point in the world as well, as love covers a multitude of sins. Keep in mind, like most we speak to recognizes, they would not want to go door to door with the message, we are simply humans as well with the same feelings, but if you believed you could save a life would you? Most of us have stated at one time early on, we will never go door to door, but as our love for Jehovah and our neighbor grew, all of us did, if we could that is. All of God's witnesses, witness in some form.
We are not so far apart in the purpose of our hearts.

Many years ago, in the very first assembly I attended regularly after my departure from active Catholicism, one time they organized a door knocking Saturday where everyone went out and knocked on people's doors. I admit that I was absolute scared to death. I was unable to talk with strangers at all on any subject. The enterprise was not very successful as men call success for very few new people came to our meetings as a result, but the whole thing helped me a lot.

Over the years after that working in many different cities in California, Wyoming and Oklahoma, I learned to look forward to the visits of those who came knocking on my door to talk about God: the JWs and the Mormons. I would always invite them in and have a long, friendly discussions with them.

They were always willing even though I knew that sometimes the wrong agenda was on their sleeve and at the forefront of their spoken words. At least they were doing something definitely in the right direction. I never had people from any other church ever come to my door like that. I loved those door knockers. I miss them now because the apartment complex where we have lived since 2013 allows no solicitation of any kind.

But for the times like that which I did enjoy, I give God the glory!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are not so far apart in the purpose of our hearts.

Many years ago, in the very first assembly I attended regularly after my departure from active Catholicism, one time they organized a door knocking Saturday where everyone went out and knocked on people's doors. I admit that I was absolute scared to death. I was unable to talk with strangers at all on any subject. The enterprise was not very successful as men call success for very few new people came to our meetings as a result, but the whole thing helped me a lot.

Over the years after that working in many different cities in California, Wyoming and Oklahoma, I learned to look forward to the visits of those who came knocking on my door to talk about God: the JWs and the Mormons. I would always invite them in and have a long, friendly discussions with them.

They were always willing even though I knew that sometimes the wrong agenda was on their sleeve and at the forefront of their spoken words. At least they were doing something definitely in the right direction. I never had people from any other church ever come to my door like that. I loved those door knockers. I miss them now because the apartment complex where we have lived since 2013 allows no solicitation of any kind.

But for the times like that which I did enjoy, I give God the glory!

I can say absolutely sir, that we truly appreciated people like you to converse with. Although the method has changed, and I am not standing at your door, we are still conversing about God enjoyably sir. The scene of this world is changing, which has prompted new methods of reaching people with the message, but this avenue has helped get the message to remote parts of the earth Amad. Many of us don't really think about the seriousness of Mat 24:14, but it will be fulfilled.

We know we are very close to the fulfillment of that, the brothers recently announced that access to at least part of the message is available in every country of the world. I think that is why you are observing these rapid changes, we are so very close to the outbreak of the great tribulation, I believe.

Reactions: amadeus