The Christian Resurrection vs. the Jew's Resurrection

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know there is a difference between Christian Doctrine per The New Testament about the resurrection when Jesus returns, and the orthodox Jew's idea of the resurrection per The Old Testament?

Some Christian Churches wrongly preach the orthodox Jew's idea of resurrection, which is belief on the old dead flesh body being raised from the ground, and made anew. Just where would the orthodox Jews get such an idea?

Here's one place...

Ezek 37:1-12
37 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones,
2 And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry.
3 And He said unto me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" And I answered, "O Lord GOD, thou knowest."
4 Again He said unto me, "Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, 'O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD.'
5 Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:
6 And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD."
7 So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone.
8 And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them.
9 Then said He unto me, "Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, 'Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live."
10 So I prophesied as He commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army.
11 Then He said unto me, "Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, 'Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts.'
12 Therefore prophesy and say unto them, 'Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O My people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel."
KJV

Wow! What would someone who stays ONLY in The Old Testament Scriptures think about the future resurrection at Christ's future coming? They would definitely believe that God is going to refurbish old dead bodies buried in the ground, wouldn't they? But didn't anyone in Ezekiel's day ever think that God was giving that prophecy through Ezekiel as an allegory?

Here's why I ask that, for the following is about the resurrection per New Testament doctrine...

1 Cor 15:49-55
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, 'Death is swallowed up in victory.'
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
KJV

As we have borne the "image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly"? What is Paul talking about with that?

Well, what is the "image of the earthy"? It's our flesh body, right? Yes! So what's that "image of the heavenly" we will also bear? That's the image of the angels, because Lord Jesus said in Matthew 22:30 that those of the resurrection are "as the angels of God in heaven".

That brings up an important question. If the resurrection is "as the angels" in Heaven, then just what kind... of body do the angels have? We well know through enough revelations in God's Word that the angels are not born through woman's womb, so they do not... have flesh bodies. They have angelic bodies of that other realm, the realm of Spirit.

Is the resurrection then to an angelic heavenly type body, and not about a literal flesh body? YES! Apostle Paul confirms this in the above, and in the following...

1 Cor 15:42-50
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

That idea of the first man Adam being made a living soul is important to distinguish from the resurrection that our Lord Jesus shows. Paul tells us there that "the last Adam was made a quickening spirit"!

I don't know about you, but a "quickening spirit" does NOT mean a flesh body.

Do you remember that even in John 3 Lord Jesus made a distinction between that which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of The Spirit is spirit? Flesh and spirit are two totally distinctly different realms and operations. The "natural body" is a body of flesh we have today. The "spiritual body" is the body type of the future resurrection. It is the "quickening spirit" type of the future with Jesus. Thus even our Lord Jesus' flesh body was transfigured to "a quickening spirit".

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
KJV

There are more Old Testament Scripture examples that can make one think the future resurrection will be a refurbished flesh body out of the ground, such as Isaiah 26:19; Hosea 13:14; Daniel 12:2, Psalms 71:20.

Even with the Genesis 2:7 description that when God breathed the breath of life into Adam and he became a 'living soul', the orthodox Jews are led to believe that the soul... is even part of our flesh. It is not, as Lord Jesus showed in the Matthew 10:28 Scripture to not fear those who can kill our flesh, but not our soul.
This is true! Amen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ Maintained A Glorified Body Of Flesh And Bone Out Of The Tomb

Yes the Christian that died 100 years ago and was buried in the church graveyard, the body is still there

Yes this body in the graveyard will actually be raised and glorified at the second coming, just as Jesus Christ was raised and glorified in a body that maintained his scars from the cross of Calvary

Jesus Christ Is The First Fruit Of The Resurrection, The Living Example Of The Future Resurrection Of The Righteous

Luke 24:36-43KJV
36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.
Explain St. Luke's Gospel ending then. I fully am letting the Word of God speak and behold: it contradicts you. Moreover, explain St. John's Gospel ending where St. Thomas placed his hands in the wounds of Christ. Tell me whether or not Jesus had a corrupt body here, or if it was not spiritual.
:( Doesn't sound like you read or heard anything of the original post.

But it's because you are confusing Jesus' fleshly resurrection proving He had overcome the world and had conquered death, with His ascension back to the Father. For this very reason, before His ascension He even told Mary, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father” Which was also the case when He had Thomas touch His wounds.

The two events (Jesus' resurrection, and ascension) are not the same thing.

Which, granted, is confusing...for it is referred to as His "resurrection." But that is the limit of language confused by God, and it is only by the rest of what is written and God revealing it to us, that we can know the whole truth (all truth).

Last edited: