THE CHURCH DID NOT START AT PENTECOST

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More than two or three, more like 10 - the eleven apostles (12 less Judas) less Thoms who wasn't there.
You also need to take into account how Jesus apponted the 12 and the seventy and sent them out with power.

And again at the Last Supper Jesus says to the 12 apostles “You are those who have stood by me in my trials; and I confer on you, just as my Father has conferred on me, a kingdom," (Lk 22:28-29)

Okay...a church of about ten before the actual filling on the day of Pentecost.

There is no reason to argue...for it is clear that the church would receive power when the Holy Ghost would come upon them (Acts of the Apostles 1:8)...and that definitely happened on the day of Pentecost.

Perhaps 70 of them had a degree of power before that...but the remaining fifty were yet unfilled and I believe that the day of Pentecost inaugurated the occasion of the Holy Ghost coming upon the church so that He would dwell in every believer from henceforth.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Untrue.
It is the Catholic Church.
You might like it different for your own agenda but the fact is that the Church led by Pope Frances is Catholic Church.
...Of Rome.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never mind what you try to infer.
What it actually says is the leaders of the Church received the Holy Spirit and were empowered to forgive sins.
....beginning at Jerusalem....

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 1...
4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me....

8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth...

12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem .....

No?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
....beginning at Jerusalem....

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 1...
4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me....

8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth...

12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem .....

No?

Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
(John 20:21-23) .

When Jesus said that to them they were IN Jerusalem.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Acts 2:47 is speaking of the church of God, the Jews and Gentiles that believed the gospel of the kingdom, not the body of Christ which was not formed until Paul's conversion.

Hello @Doug,

The revelation of God made to Paul concerning the church which is the Body of Christ, was not given until Paul was 'A Prisoner of Jesus Christ' (Ephesians 3:1) at the end of the Acts period. It did not come into being until Israel was laid aside (temporarily) in unbelief at Acts 28. Only then, following that revelation, could God's instruction concerning it's administration be made known, having been 'hid in God' from the beginning of the world (Ephesians 3:9 & Colossians 1:26), unknown therefore to 'the ages and generation' that had passed.

It is revealed therefore in Paul's later epistles, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”(John 20:21-23) .

When Jesus said that to them they were IN Jerusalem.
Remission of sins was first worded by the Apostle Peter in Jerusalem right here...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

And now you have just found the missing link.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or some one who calls themselves "Truther" you seem remarkably resistant to the truth.
Sorry, the Pope is your holy see.
He sits in the throne at the Vatican.
The Vatican is in Rome.

You can run, but you can't hide.
You belong to the Roman Catholic Church.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, the Pope is your holy see.
He sits in the throne at the Vatican.
The Vatican is in Rome.

You can run, but you can't hide.
You belong to the Roman Catholic Church.

Only in your head.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Remission of sins was first worded by the Apostle Peter in Jerusalem right here...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

And now you have just found the missing link.

Really?
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them
Forgiveness of sins is not remission of sins?
You live in a strange world in your head.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really?
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them
Forgiveness of sins is not remission of sins?
You live in a strange world in your head.
Again, it all started in Acts 2:38, not a second before.

Show me a verse with the Apostles implementing remission of sins prior to the Acts 2:38 administration of water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.

You can't?

Okay, so now you understand the words of Jesus Christ when he said "..that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name BEGINNING AT JERUSALEM".

When was this 1st preached..... if thou canst tell?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When you see the local Catholic Church, you see the Pope.

Your claims are getting ore and more bizarre.

BTW. Ref post #100. The Vatican is not in Rome. It is the in the Vatican City State.

Last edited:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Again, it all started in Acts 2:38, not a second before.

Show me a verse with the Apostles implementing remission of sins prior to the Acts 2:38 administration of water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins.

You can't?

Okay, so now you understand the words of Jesus Christ when he said "..that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name BEGINNING AT JERUSALEM".

When was this 1st preached..... if thou canst tell?

They are not criteria for the start of the Church so your requests are irrelevant - as are most of your posts.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are not criteria for the start of the Church so your requests are irrelevant - as are most of your posts.
No, your description of the "church" is a sin guilty(unremitted), non powered, pre- Pentecost Church.

Just like the modern RCC today.

This is why modernists deny the church beginning at Pentecost.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your claims are getting ore and more bizarre.

BTW. Ref post #100. The Vatican is not in Rome. It is the in the Vatican City State.
Vatican City, a city-state surrounded by Rome, Italy, is the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church. It's home to the Pope and a trove of iconic art and architecture. Its Vatican Museums house ancient Roman sculptures such as the famed “Laocoön and His Sons” as well as Renaissance frescoes in the Raphael Rooms and the Sistine Chapel, famous for Michelangelo’s ceiling...

Vatican City /ˈvætɪkən/ ( listen), officially Vatican City State (Italian: Stato della Città del Vaticano;[g] Latin: Status Civitatis Vaticanae),[h] is the Holy See's independent city-state enclaved within Rome, Italy.[12] Established with the Lateran Treaty (1929)

The Catholic Church,
sometimes referred to as the Roman Catholic Church, is the largest Christian church, with approximately 1.3 billion baptised Catholics worldwide as of 2018. Wikipedia

God still see's the great whore in Rome.

The P.O box change in modern times does not disqualify her Biblical description.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Vatican City, a city-state surrounded by Rome, Italy, is the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church. It's home to the Pope and a trove of iconic art and architecture. Its Vatican Museums house ancient Roman sculptures such as the famed “Laocoön and His Sons” as well as Renaissance frescoes in the Raphael Rooms and the Sistine Chapel, famous for Michelangelo’s ceiling...

Vatican City /ˈvætɪkən/ ( listen), officially Vatican City State (Italian: Stato della Città del Vaticano;[g] Latin: Status Civitatis Vaticanae),[h] is the Holy See's independent city-state enclaved within Rome, Italy.[12] Established with the Lateran Treaty (1929)

The Catholic Church,
sometimes referred to as the Roman Catholic Church, is the largest Christian church, with approximately 1.3 billion baptised Catholics worldwide as of 2018. Wikipedia

God still see's the great whore in Rome.

The P.O box change in modern times does not disqualify her Biblical description.

Wikipedia!!!!!!

Vatican City is an Independent City State. It is not part of Rome.
It is surrounded by Italy so why do you not call it the Italian Catholic Church?
It is part of Europe so why do you not call it the European Catholic Church?
It is part of the world so why do you not call it the World Catholic Church?

The FACT is that that you do not decide on a name for a Church. A Church decides what it is called and the Catholic Church calls itself just that - Catholic Church.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good! Now you finally admit it was a Church that existed before Pentecost. Great!

What's this RCC?
No silly, the Church started at Pentecost.

You are not in the church that is pre-remission of sins.

The church is without spot or wrinkle via Acts 2:38.

You need Acts 2:38 too.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wikipedia!!!!!!

Vatican City is an Independent City State. It is not part of Rome.
It is surrounded by Italy so why do you not call it the Italian Catholic Church?
It is part of Europe so why do you not call it the European Catholic Church?
It is part of the world so why do you not call it the World Catholic Church?

The FACT is that that you do not decide on a name for a Church. A Church decides what it is called and the Catholic Church calls itself just that - Catholic Church.
A Roman Catholic Church.

Don't you forget it.

In 1929 you guys tried to make the Vatican a tax free entity smack in the middle of the city of Rome.

That is the power the RCC has over the city of Rome.

The Pope says it, and by golly they do it.

No American city could ever pull that off.