The Cup of Salvations

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ps. 116:13 I will take the cup of salvations, and call upon the name of the LORD.

In the Hebrew way of thinking...salvation is plural. Just like the above verse...which because it involves a different mindset...has been erringly translated into the singular. But in the Hebrew it is plural.

And salvation is always seen in the plural for they who proceed with God. God saved Israel more than once....actually many times.

Here is just one Psalm that shows how God's salvation works...

Psalm 107
107 O give thanks unto the Lord, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

3 And gathered them out of the lands, from the east, and from the west, from the north, and from the south.

4 They wandered in the wilderness in a solitary way; they found no city to dwell in.

5 Hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted in them.

6 Then they cried unto the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them out of their distresses.

7 And he led them forth by the right way, that they might go to a city of habitation.

8 Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

9 For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.

10 Such as sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, being bound in affliction and iron;

11 Because they rebelled against the words of God, and contemned the counsel of the most High:

12 Therefore he brought down their heart with labour; they fell down, and there was none to help.

13 Then they cried unto the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them out of their distresses.

14 He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder.

15 Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

16 For he hath broken the gates of brass, and cut the bars of iron in sunder.

17 Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted.

18 Their soul abhorreth all manner of meat; and they draw near unto the gates of death.

19 Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he saveth them out of their distresses.

20 He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.

21 Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

22 And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing.

23 They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

24 These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

25 For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.

26 They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.

27 They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.

28 Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.

29 He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.

30 Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

31 Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

32 Let them exalt him also in the congregation of the people, and praise him in the assembly of the elders.

33 He turneth rivers into a wilderness, and the watersprings into dry ground;

34 A fruitful land into barrenness, for the wickedness of them that dwell therein.

35 He turneth the wilderness into a standing water, and dry ground into watersprings.

36 And there he maketh the hungry to dwell, that they may prepare a city for habitation;

37 And sow the fields, and plant vineyards, which may yield fruits of increase.

38 He blesseth them also, so that they are multiplied greatly; and suffereth not their cattle to decrease.

39 Again, they are minished and brought low through oppression, affliction, and sorrow.

40 He poureth contempt upon princes, and causeth them to wander in the wilderness, where there is no way.

41 Yet setteth he the poor on high from affliction, and maketh him families like a flock.

42 The righteous shall see it, and rejoice: and all iniquity shall stop her mouth.

43 Whoso is wise, and will observe these things, even they shall understand the lovingkindness of the Lord.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So then to think in terms of a one time salvation is to miss the biblical narrative. With God salvation is part of a bigger story...whereby we are saved more than once.

The bible offers us a look at God's ways in the Exodus of His people from Egypt.

God saves His people many times in the course of their journey. They drank of the cup of His salvations.

Just as we drink from the cup of Christ...many salvations. We are to drink of His salvations as He allows us to in our distresses. And each of these salvations teaches us something about Him...and His mercy. But also His direction. God doesn't save us always when WE want it. He waits until we are ready.

So then salvation is itself a process of many salvations....both as an event of grace and also as the power of grace in an ongoing walk in His salvation.

So this goes far beyond the religious idea of a checklist salvation whereby one affirms some doctrines to then be able to declare oneself..."saved".

So just as we are saved away from the world...we also need to be saved away from ourselves.

We are not just saved FROM but also being saved TO.

From death to life. And then from dishonour to honour.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In Christ one salvation is being built upon the other. Just like an upper room is built upon a ground floor.

Now some who have entered into the salvation of Christ on the ground floor will refuse to believe that there is more to it than that. The belief they started with they now shut off...as if the act of believing was no longer required. These will compare themselves with what they used to be...or else compare themselves with people that are yet in the world and unsaved and be happy with that first level of salvation so as to remain there...or at least desire to remain there. As such.... such a person could justify himself to remain where he is...and not press on. But God expects more than we do. We don't get to call the game is over. God decides these things...not us. And this brings a huge problem.

Now this happens a lot...and this is the purpose of this thread.

Just like when Jesus healed the 10 lepers and only one returned to Him. Jesus asked. I healed 10...where are the other 9?

Do we think that the other 9 ex-lepers were concerned at all about disappointing the Lord? Not at all. They got what they wanted and moved on.

And the churches are full of people like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Episkopos

"But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:" Acts 8:9

"Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done" Acts 8:13

Was he not saved? Had he not been taken that first step away from his "distresses"? Certainly!

But then...

"And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost." Acts 8:18-19

[Do any among us today, think (if they don't say): 'Let me be a great preacher, teacher, healer, pastor, or minister of God... able to perform wonders and receive the blessings and accolades of the people like you (this "you" being perhaps a person actually working in his calling as he should)!' It would require more than that to accomplish the will of God!]

In spite of having been saved, Simon needed to be saved yet again to come on up higher...

"But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity." Acts 8:20-23

And Simon certainly saved at the first from his use of sorcery but still in bondage, coveting still the power of God for his own glory, now having been admonished by Peter recognized his own shortcoming and asked to be saved again:

"Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me." Acts 8:24

How many salvations are required that each of us might overcome all of our world of evil ways and desires?

Were not all 12 of those Jesus called, 'saved' from the places where they were in the world of the ways of the flesh? Yet, not one of them was ready to take up his cross and to really follow Jesus. They said that they were:

"Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples." Matt 26:35

But...?

"Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled." Matt 26:56

Perhaps of those 12 saved, 11 were saved again from their fear of men, but one, also saved by Jesus, was fell prey to something else still in his heart. He was given the opportunity when Jesus spoke to him, but... No more salvations through his own choice. I guess he thought he did not need it!

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'I will take the cup of salvation, (H3444)
and call upon the name of the LORD. '
(Psalm 116:13)

Hello @Episkopos,

The Hebrew word translated salvation in this verse is indeed plural (salvations), but there are other Hebrew and Greek words translated salvation, which are not plural.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Salvation:- Yeshuah (H3444)

Feminine passive participle of H3467; something saved, that is, (abstractly) deliverance; hence aid, victory, prosperity
Translated: - deliverance, health, help (-ing), salvation, save, saving (health), welfare.
Total KJV occurrences: 78

1st usage:- Genesis 49:18 – ‘... I have waited for Thy salvation, O Lord.’
----------------------------------------------------

Salvation:- Teshuah (H8668)

From H7768 in the sense of H3467; rescue (literally or figuratively, personal, national or spiritual)
Translated: - deliverance, help, safety, salvation, victory.
Total KJV occurrences: 34

1st usage:- 1 Samuel 19:5 – ‘ ... the Lord hath wrought salvation in Israel’

Salvation:- Yesha Yesha (H3468)

From H3467; liberty, deliverance, prosperity
Translated: - safety, salvation, saving.
Total KJV occurrences: 36

1st usage:- 2 Samuel 22:3 – ‘ ... the horn of my salvation’
-----------------------------------------------
Salvation:- Moshaah (H4190)

From H3467; deliverance
Translated: - salvation.
Total KJV occurrences: 1

1st usage:- Psalm 68:20 – ‘ ... the God of salvation’
------------------------------------------------

Salvation:- Yash (H3467)

A primitive root; properly to be open, wide or free, that is, (by implication) to be safe; causatively to free or succor
Translated: - X at all, avenging, defend, deliver (-er), help, preserve, rescue, be safe, bring (having) salvation, save (-iour), get victory.
Total KJV occurrences: 205

1st usage:- Isaiah 59:16 – ‘ ... his arm brought salvation’
---------------------------------------------
Salvation
:- Soteria (G4991)

Feminine of a derivative of G4990 as (properly abstract) noun; rescue or safety (physically or morally)
Translated: - deliver, health, salvation, save, saving.
Total KJV occurrences: 45

1st usage:- Luke 1:69 – ‘ ... an horn of salvation’
Salvation
:- Soterion (G4992)

Neuter of the same as G4991 as (properly concrete) noun; defender or (by implication) defence
Total KJV occurrences: 5

1st usage:- Luke 3:6 – ‘ ... the salvation of God’
-------------------------------------------------------

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
'I will take the cup of salvation,
and call upon the name of the LORD. '

(Psalm 116:13)

Hello @Episkopos,

The Hebrew word translated salvation in this verse is indeed plural (salvations), but there are other Hebrew and Greek words translated salvation, which are not plural.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Yes....but they are listed as they happen. This modern reformist idea of a one time salvation for all time is not biblical.The bible is a narrative that displays God's salvations as they happen...or happened. In the OP I posted a narrative list.

Salvation is past, present and future...and it involves a dynamic relationship with God.

So then I WAS saved...which made me love God. We love because He loved us first...we forgive others because we were first forgiven. So then the past salvation helps us to DO what is right in the present.

So we have LOVE.

We are to walk by faith now. Not resting on a previous salvation. Life goes on and we must grow and bear MORE fruit. We need to continue to ACT by faith. So faith is for NOW...the present.

So we have FAITH.

And we are to abide a living hope...knowing that nothing is lacking in grace for us to overcome as Jesus did. But we also know we won't receive something good for being slack. We WILL reap then as we sow today. IF we sow to the Spirit we will also reap life of the Spirit. But if we sow to the flesh...the end is death.

So we have HOPE.

And all of these work together to bring about good works and a humble attitude...that help us move along in God's good favour.

Reactions: amadeus

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes....but they are listed as they happen. This modern reformist idea of a one time salvation for all time is not biblical.The bible is a narrative that displays God's salvations as they happen...or happened. In the OP I posted a narrative list.

Salvation is past, present and future...and it involves a dynamic relationship with God.

So then I WAS saved...which made me love God. We love because He loved us first...we forgive others because we were first forgiven. So then the past salvation helps us to DO what is right in the present.

So we have LOVE.

We are to walk by faith now. Not resting on a previous salvation. Life goes on and we must grow and bear MORE fruit. We need to continue to ACT by faith. So faith is for NOW...the present.

So we have FAITH.

And we are to abide a living hope...knowing that nothing is lacking in grace for us to overcome as Jesus did. But we also know we won't receive something good for being slack. We WILL reap then as we sow today. IF we sow to the Spirit we will also reap life of the Spirit. But if we sow to the flesh...the end is death.

So we have HOPE.

And all of these work together to bring about good works and a humble attitude...that help us move along in God's good favour.
'In whom ye also trusted,
after that ye heard the word of truth,
the gospel of your salvation:
in whom also after that ye believed,
ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Which is the earnest of our inheritance
until the redemption of the purchased possession,
unto the praise of His glory.
'
(Eph 1:13)

Hello @Episkopos,

I have no idea what the reformist idea you refer to is, but I do know what the Bible says, and the believer is saved and 'sealed' unto the day of salvation the moment he believes. That is the suety of our salvation. We are God's workmanship.

'For by grace are ye saved through faith;
and that not of yourselves:
it is the gift of God:
Not of works,
lest any man should boast.
For we are His workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus unto good works,
which God hath before ordained
that we should walk in them.'

(Eph 2:8-10)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Salvation:- Yeshuah (H3444)

Feminine passive participle of H3467; something saved, that is, (abstractly) deliverance; hence aid, victory, prosperity
Translated: - deliverance, health, help (-ing), salvation, save, saving (health), welfare.
Total KJV occurrences: 78

1st usage:- Genesis 49:18 – ‘... I have waited for Thy salvation, O Lord.’

Salvation:- Teshuah (H8668)

From H7768 in the sense of H3467; rescue (literally or figuratively, personal, national or spiritual)
Translated: - deliverance, help, safety, salvation, victory.
Total KJV occurrences: 34

1st usage:- 1 Samuel 19:5 – ‘ ... the Lord hath wrought salvation in Israel’

Salvation:- Yesha Yesha (H3468)

From H3467; liberty, deliverance, prosperity
Translated: - safety, salvation, saving.
Total KJV occurrences: 36

1st usage:- 2 Samuel 22:3 – ‘ ... the horn of my salvation’
-----------------------------------------------
Salvation:- Moshaah (H4190)

From H3467; deliverance
Total KJV occurrences: 1

1st usage:- Psalm 68:20 – ‘ ... the God of salvation’
------------------------------------------------

Salvation:- Yash (H3467)

A primitive root; properly to be open, wide or free, that is, (by implication) to be safe; causatively to free or succor
Translated: - X at all, avenging, defend, deliver (-er), help, preserve, rescue, be safe, bring (having) salvation, save (-iour), get victory.
Total KJV occurrences: 205

1st usage:- Isaiah 59:16 – ‘ ... his arm brought salvation’
Salvation
:- Soteria (G4991)

Feminine of a derivative of G4990 as (properly abstract) noun; rescue or safety (physically or morally)
Translated: - deliver, health, salvation, save, saving.
Total KJV occurrences: 45

1st usage:- Luke 1:69 – ‘ ... an horn of salvation’
Salvation
:- Soterion (G4992)

Neuter of the same as G4991 as (properly concrete) noun; defender or (by implication) defence
Total KJV occurrences: 5

1st usage:- Luke 3:6 – ‘ ... the salvation of God’
-------------------------------------------------------

2 Cor. 1:10 Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;

But after the initial salvation...the rest is conditional to our being faithful and in line with His Spirit and His will.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Christ one salvation is being built upon the other. Just like an upper room is built upon a ground floor.

Now some who have entered into the salvation of Christ on the ground floor will refuse to believe that there is more to it than that. The belief they started with they now shut off...as if the act of believing was no longer required. These will compare themselves with what they used to be...or else compare themselves with people that are yet in the world and unsaved and be happy with that first level of salvation so as to remain there...or at least desire to remain there. As such.... such a person could justify himself to remain where he is...and not press on. But God expects more than we do. We don't get to call the game is over. God decides these things...not us. And this brings a huge problem.

Now this happens a lot...and this is the purpose of this thread.

Just like when Jesus healed the 10 lepers and only one returned to Him. Jesus asked. I healed 10...where are the other 9?

Do we think that the other 9 ex-lepers were concerned at all about disappointing the Lord? Not at all. They got what they wanted and moved on.

And the churches are full of people like that.

Good stuff Epi,
Now, are we all willing/able to drink from His cup?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
'In whom ye also trusted,
after that ye heard the word of truth,
the gospel of your salvation:
in whom also after that ye believed,
ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Which is the earnest of our inheritance
until the redemption of the purchased possession,
unto the praise of His glory.
'
(Eph 1:13)

Hello @Episkopos,

I have no idea what the reformist idea you refer to is, but I do know what the Bible says, and the believer is saved and 'sealed' unto the day of salvation the moment he believes. That is the suety of our salvation. We are God's workmanship.

'For by grace are ye saved through faith;
and that not of yourselves:
it is the gift of God:
Not of works,
lest any man should boast.
For we are His workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus unto good works,
which God hath before ordained
that we should walk in them.'

(Eph 2:8-10)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

We are sealed into the coming judgment for the house of the Lord. And that judgment is going to be a fierce one.

We are to walk in the good works of heaven. If we don't bear an eternal fruit we could be cast out....beyond the gates of Jerusalem.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
2 Cor. 1:10 Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;

But after the initial salvation...the rest is conditional to our being faithful and in line with His Spirit and His will.
'For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant
of our trouble which came to us in Asia,
that we were pressed out of measure, above strength,
insomuch that we despaired even of life:
But we had the sentence of death in ourselves,
that we should not trust in ourselves,
but in God which raiseth the dead:
Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver:
in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;
Ye also helping together by prayer for us,
that for the gift bestowed upon us
by the means of many persons
thanks may be given by many on our behalf.'

(2 Cor. 1:8-11)

Hello @Episkopos,

You have not taken the context of 2 Corinthians into consideration. For this deliverance is related to a physical rescue from death, experienced by Paul, for which Paul gives God the glory, thanking the Corinthians believers also for their prayers on his behalf. This is not salvation by grace that is being talked about, so this verse cannot be used as a proof text for your claim.

You are handling the word deceitfully, whether knowingly or unknowingly.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"...and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful." Rev 17:14

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are not to compare with our previous life or people in the world. But we are to look to Jesus to run the race that HE has set before us. To look back is not pleasing to God. We should strive to be ever pleasing to God in this race of faith.

Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

We can't look back on our previous commitments and experiences with God. What are we doing today?

Mat. 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

And this works for both the future AND the past. We can't live in either of them. We live in the present. And it is today that we need to walk in faith and faithfulness. :) So we can't justify a present failure because of a past salvation. That would be looking back. We need to ever fix our eyes above on the Lord...now.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are sealed into the coming judgment for the house of the Lord. And that judgment is going to be a fierce one.

We are to walk in the good works of heaven. If we don't bear an eternal fruit we could be cast out....beyond the gates of Jerusalem.

Hello @Episkopos,

That is not the witness of Scripture regarding the believer, for there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh but in His Spirit.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Episkopos... IMO you have taken the meaning of the cup of salvation(s) and extended it to a meaning that is unnecessary, incorrect and misleading. There is only one salvation whether it was in the OT or in the NT. There is only one LORD or Elohim even though it is a plural. The LORD is the source and the only one God over everything and everyone.

The idea of the cup of salvation(s) as used in Psalms was to symbolize the source, the only source of all of mankind's salvation or from where each one of the LORD's act of grace and salvation bestowed on each of us originates and cumulatively are considered salvation(s) from him within his cup. This is THE spiritual CUP. It is the cup of the saving grace bestowed to all men of all ages.

And then you compound your error and extend and apply your same incorrect meaning of the CUP of the LORD to the cup of Christ..that there are many distresses and therefore many salvation(s) from Christ ..that is not true at all IMO.

God saves his people only once, individually. Now physically NOT spiritually, Israel and of today's meaning for his people, God saves us many times....

Just saying..Blessings, APAK

Reactions: Stan B

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello @Episkopos,

That is not the witness of Scripture regarding the believer, for there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh but in His Spirit.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

And what of they who are in Christ that walk not after the Spirit but after the flesh?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We should look to God for a new salvation. A new and fresh filling of the Spirit. Going to the throne room of God to receive more grace...an abundant grace in time of need. To fill our lamps anew with oil. (of course they who see salvation as a one time event will NOT go back for a refill...so that their lamps run out of oil).

Salvation is a process involving steps IN salvation. We need to look beyond the event and to the One who is saving us...a little at a time. We are moving into a heavenly abode...step by step...or not at all. We are either experiencing salvation as a dynamic connection to God or as an osified relic that we are looking back upon....as a more and more distant memory.

Have we stopped moving in the way of salvation? Have we become static and lifeless?

We can go to God and buy gold that is refined in the fire...and eye salve that we might see the better.

The only people who should not be pressing into more of God and His salvation are they who are walking in Zion with Him through the Spirit. Those are already experiencing the fulness of Christ.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To the OP . . .

Yes, I agree with you, that the overlap between the meanings of "salvation" can muddy the water in how we think of things.

We think so much in terms of temporal danger and deliverance, it's like being saved is very "convenient", if you will! Isn't it convenient that this ambulance has come to deliver me to the hospital! Yay! I'm saved! Isn't it so very convenient to have found this $100 just when I needed it, I'm saved! Isn't it so wonderfully convenient that Jesus died for my sins so I don't have to go to hell, I'm saved! Yay!

Just like this Psalm shows, all these earthly distresses, we desire salvation! And when we think of being saved by God in that sense, it's all about a ticket punched to get into heaven.

And while salvation in that sense is certainly something I think people tend to want, that's not the "main thing".

All this debate back and forth ad nauseum, do we sin? do we not sin? does sin cost us salvation? is there no repentance? is salvation eternal?

All of this misses what it's all about.

God created us to receive His love, and to be His family, and though humanity was corrupted, He is restoring us again to love, to be His family. His family is Now, we are children of God.

So let us be children of our Heavenly Father in all things. Not just that He can get us out of a scrape, there's so much more to Him than that!

Much love!