The deaths of Steven and Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Stefan

Mar 23, 2022
Peterborough
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How is it that The Jewish Priests where able to have Steven put to death by stoning but did not have the power to put Jesus themselves to death by the same method or by any other? I await some replies.

kind regards John Stefan

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to venture a guess, because I'm not sure about the laws.

Jhn 18:28 Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover.
Jhn 18:29 Pilate then went out unto them, and said, What accusation bring ye against this man?
Jhn 18:30 They answered and said unto him, If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up unto thee.
Jhn 18:31 Then said Pilate unto them, Take ye him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death:
Jhn 18:32 That the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he spake, signifying what death he should die.
Jhn 18:33 Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?

So what I'm thinking, and any help with this would be appreciated, is that because it was the morning of the passover, they could not judge and execute on that day? without defiling themselves and missing out on the passover meal.
So they accused him of being a "malefactor" not sure what that is but I'm thinking a thief.
Because they claimed that Jesus was basically trying to steal Caesars kingdom from him, by claiming himself a king?

So they covered their... by putting the judgment and execution in the hands of the Romans.

When it comes to Stephen, it was just an ordinary day. Not a sabbath or holy day, so they were not under a law that pevented them from stoning.

Just my thoughts.
Hugs

Reactions: John Stefan

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is it that The Jewish Priests where able to have Steven put to death by stoning but did not have the power to put Jesus themselves to death by the same method or by any other? I await some replies.

kind regards John Stefan

They knew who Jesus was John, so in my personal opinion they did not want his blood to be on their hands. More accurately however Pilate as the emperor’s representative, exercised full control of the province. He could impose the death sentence, and according to those endorsing the view that the Sanhedrin could pass the death sentence, the governor’s ratification had to be obtained by that Jewish court for such sentence by them to be valid.
(Matthew 26:65, 66) . . .Then the high priest ripped his outer garments, saying: “He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? See! Now you have heard the blasphemy. 66 What is your opinion?” They answered: “He deserves to die.”
(John 18:31, 32) . . .Pilate said to them: “Take him yourselves and judge him according to your law.” The Jews said to him: “It is not lawful for us to kill anyone.” Also verse 32 shows: This was to fulfill the word that Jesus had spoken to indicate what sort of death he was about to die.