We always carry around in our body the DEATH of Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is the death of Jesus in our body?

The key to understanding this verse is through contrast as a literary device.

2 Corinthians 4:

7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.
Jars of clay symbolize our frail bodies.

8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
These are examples of the sufferings of Jesus or the death of Jesus. Paul carried or experienced these in his body.

10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.
In one verse, Paul contrasts the death and life of Jesus in our body. This is the theme of the whole chapter.

11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body.
Again, the bad news/good news contrast.

12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
Finally,

18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
The whole chapter is filled with contrasts between Jesus's death and life, i.e., the outward-seen sufferings vs. the inward-unseen glory in our body.

How to experience it?

It's a daily affair as we yield our bodies to obey God. Matthew 16:

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.