The euthanasia question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..If we can trust Him to provide and withhold such things as be according to His design for our lives, we will accept pain and distress as even still containing their own gift from God..

Ah, but when people asked to be cured, Jesus didn't say "Sorry can't help, you've got to accept the pain as the will of God".
And if God wanted us to suffer, why did he give humans the intelligence to make all sorts of wonderful drugs and medicines?..:)

Reactions: marks

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Another thing to consider is that by wanting to keep terminally ill people alive at all costs, it suggests that some christians fear death.
By contrast, some Indian tribes had a healthy attitude towards dying-

Tecumseh.png

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Food for thought- the well-known Brit actor Brian Rix was at first against euthanasia, but then became seriously ill and wished he could be helped to die-

WIKI- In August 2016, Rix announced that he was terminally ill, and called for the legalisation of voluntary euthanasia for those dying in severe pain. This was a significant departure from his previous position, as Rix voted against the Assisted Dying Bill in 2006.
He died on 20 August 2016 at Denville Hall in Northwood, London.
Brian Rix - Wikipedia

Are there any Bible verses on the subject?

Perhaps 1 Cor 10:
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

I believe most people with a serious illness, take a cross mix of medication, for the illness and for the pain.
My niece recently passed. She had been in hospital shy of a year, and simply denied any more treatments but continued the pain medication.
She knew she would die and passed on the 3rd day, and saw that as Gods control.

Euthanasia seems extreme. For or Against? To each his own, and his own accountability with God.

Reactions: dhh712 and Dropship

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another thing to consider is that by wanting to keep terminally ill people alive at all costs, it suggests that some christians fear death.
By contrast, some Indian tribes had a healthy attitude towards dying-

I don’t have a doctor. Don’t spend on drugs. Have had stitches a couple of time, when the duct tape failed. But ready when the Lord calls.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..God has prepared works that we are to carry out before our time comes, but to play by our own rules versus His, is not right.

But sadly if somebody is terminally ill they're in no condition to do "works", so voluntary suicide or euthansia is a valid option.
Again, death is not to be feared..:)

Mary Frye.jpg

"Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft star-shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die."
-Mary Elizabeth Frye

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone is seriously ill in distress and pain and wants to die, is it right to give them something to allow them to slip peacefully away?
Are there any Bible verses for or against, and what are members views on it?
My Mother recently died. She had internal bleeding that they couldn't stop. To keep her from suffering worse they gave her a lot of pain medication to the point that she died. It was an act of mercy.

There are times when that type of procedure is necessary and something that needs to be done. People that care about the individual understand this. People that don't might have a problem with it. But then they don't get a say in the matter, and perhaps that's why?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My father was diabetic, and also suffered from extreme Rheumatoid arthritis. He literally walked on the sides of his feet, they were turned so far inwards.

In his early 50's he developed a sore on his foot that did not heal. His doctors told him if he did not have his foot removed, it would eventually infect his blood and kill him, which given his refusal to do so, happened when he was 56, 28 years ago.

He was of the mind that he had been in so much pain for so many years, he was tired, and whenever God wanted to take him was fine.

Much love!
My nieces aunt had her foot removed and is diabetic. Same thing. She's fine now. It was tragic just for me to hear about it. I don't really want anymore operations. I had one a while ago and it got infected and cost me everything. Super painful. Hopefully no more decisions I will have to make regarding operations. I just hope God doesn't bring me down that road again.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
john-donne.jpg

Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so,
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poor death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
...One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.
-John Donne 1572-1631

Reactions: dev553344

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But sadly if somebody is terminally ill they're in no condition to do "works", so voluntary suicide or euthansia is a valid option.
Again, death is not to be feared..:)

A work can simply be following the Lord's commandment to not take a life, allowing the Lord to choose the moment of ones death; not putting yourself in God's place and saying, "I am bedridden and can be of no more use to him". In that way you are not trusting the Lord but leaning on your own understanding. In my understanding euthanasia or suicide goes directly against God's commandment of you should not murder (and please refer to my previous post on how I will never be able to say what I would do were I to be in a position of someone who is deathly and painfully ill beyond all hope; I would rely completely on the Lord for his strength. All our transgressions are forgiven in the Lord and I will not stand in his place and condemn someone were they to make this choice. However, I will stand for how it is decidedly against God's commandment which condemns murder).

Again, if someone is in pain I am for giving them pain medication even if it is too much so that it kills them (and not to the end of killing them but the end of relieving their pain). I do not believe one must use artificial means to prolong a life; for example, if someone receives a cancer diagnosis and wishes to not treat the cancer but just to receive medication for the pain I believe that is a perfectly valid moral position to have and that it does not contradict God's commandments in any way.

perhaps not for some, but me personally, its the most terrifying thing ever.

I must admit that I do not. Rather I do look forward to it. Ever since my husband was called home to the Lord unexpectedly for me it really is "To live is Christ and to die is gain." I really would prefer to be at home with the Lord and to be done with this life. Yet, while I am here I know that the Lord yet has some work for me to do (a phrase my father in the faith, D.H. Hill, used as he pined for death after the crushing blow of his youngest daughter, Harriet's, untimely death at the age of 12 from diphtheria).

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are there any Bible verses on the subject?
Proverbs 31:6

I have always found this verse interesting, considering euthanasia, particularly because death is a process of dehydration and alcohol, of any kind, is a diuretic. So, if God is condoning the giving of it to relieve the pain and suffering of the dying, it seems to me - in light of the science, that He is condoning helping them along in a very caring manner with a substance that He knows good and well will not only ease their stress, and possibly heighten their mood, but will also move them along toward their final end.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, but when people asked to be cured, Jesus didn't say "Sorry can't help, you've got to accept the pain as the will of God".
And if God wanted us to suffer, why did he give humans the intelligence to make all sorts of wonderful drugs and medicines?..:)
I'm not saying don't ask for healing, I do that. And sometimes He's given me amazing healing, and sometimes not. And I take some of those medicines, and I eat medicinally, that's my preference. But when we do such things as are good for us to do, and we still have suffering, that's when I'm talking about.

Much love!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
No I've never had the slightest regret in agreeing with the doctors to let her die, it seemed the most perfect natural thing to do...:)
In the weeks before, she'd said with sadness "I'm the last one of my family" because her parents, two brothers and a sister had all died over the years and it was weighing heavily on her, so when her illness hit her I simply released her soul from her clapped out body to fly to them.
a big problem is prolly the potential for abuse, in “voluntary” euthanasia

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not saying don't ask for healing, I do that. And sometimes He's given me amazing healing, and sometimes not. And I take some of those medicines, and I eat medicinally, that's my preference. But when we do such things as are good for us to do, and we still have suffering, that's when I'm talking about.

I developed iritable bowel and bladder syndrome a couple of years ago and it sometimes feels like my guts are on fire and I occasionally pee blood, so I used my God-given commonsense to change what I ate and drank and I've at least got it under control.
On days when it's really bad I ask God to relieve the pain but always add "Your will be done", they're the words Jesus used in Gethsemane (below) when he asked God to remove the bitter cup of crucifixion-

rel-jesus-gethsemaneB.jpg

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
a big problem is prolly the potential for abuse, in “voluntary” euthanasia

Personally I carry a small "do not resuscitate" card in my wallet so that if I end up as a vegetable through illness or accident, the doctors, family and friends will at least be able to consider switching me off with a clear conscience..:).

Reactions: bbyrd009

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..if someone is in pain I am for giving them pain medication even if it is too much so that it kills them (and not to the end of killing them but the end of relieving their pain)..

Yes, and maybe there are some enlightened doctors around who do that.
When my dad was dying of liver cancer 40 years ago one lady medic gave him a small bottle of pills (maybe morphine or sleeping pills?) and told him to take them whenever he felt the need, rather than on a clock schedule, perhaps she was hinting that he had the option of overdosing for a quick way out.
I don't know if he swallowed the lot in one go but in his place I probably would have done to make a nice quick clean end.
(He died in hospital a week or two later)

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's assisted suicide and murder any way you shake a stick at it.

If somebody wants to die they'll find a way to kill themself anyway; there was a shocking case where an elderly lady jumped from the top of a multi-storey car park, hardly a dignified end.
Other people stand in front of fast trains or shoot themselves or jump off bridges or overdose on something etc.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I don’t have a doctor. Don’t spend on drugs. Have had stitches a couple of time, when the duct tape failed. But ready when the Lord calls.

Its ok to have a doc, and its ok to take meds.
God provides both.

I know someone right now, who needs eye surgery, and cant drive, can't read, and wont go and have this 15 min, simple operation, so that she can SEE.
People are having to take care of her needs, while she "waits on the Lord'.
So, is that Faith, or is that Stupidity?

Paul had "Luke the beloved PHYSICIAN" with him... a lot.

Paul didnt tell Timothy to pray the prayer of faith for his stomach issue.
He told him to have some wine.

There is such a thing as a "balanced perspective", and if you read my previous post, i dont lean toward Docs, or Meds..... and i am all for the believer looking forward to their departure day, but, while you are here, take advantage of what is available that can solve a health crisis, if you run into one.

Reactions: dhh712 and marks