The faithful and the saints: Bringing Calvinism and Arminianism together.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no objection to the concept that some Christians are called from their mothers' wombs (or from the Foundation of the World), and that others have freely chosen to join themselves to Christ in faith (though what does "predestination" mean to a God who created space and time and knows all free-will decisions His creatures will ever make?). However, I see no warrant for arbitrarily assigning the scriptural terms "saints" to one group and "believers" to the other in the New Testament writings as though the saints don't believe and the believers aren't holy.

All saints are believers, not all believers are saints.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All saints are believers, not all believers are saints.
Right, but can we say that each of the NT authors who use the word ἁγίους (hagios, "saints") meant each time "believers who were chosen to be believers from the foundation of the world"? Does the context work in each instance? Are saints then a superior class of believer to rest of us? See what I'm saying?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, but can we say that each of the NT authors who use the word ἁγίους (hagios, "saints") meant each time "believers who were chosen to be believers from the foundation of the world"? Does the context work in each instance? Are saints then a superior class of believer to rest of us? See what I'm saying?

They would only be superior in the sense that God gave them more. But then that’s God being superior, not them. They didn’t achieve holiness. God took them into His own holiness.

Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But davidH, it's important to remember that God makes a place for righteous men. Just as men have been wrongly taught that there is only righteous AND holy both together versus wicked, you can't begin to think there is only holy versus wicked.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They would only be superior in the sense that God gave them more. But then that’s God being superior, not them. They didn’t achieve holiness. God took them into His own holiness.
But then, God gave the Believer class their freedom. Who was given more?

And by joining themselves to Christ in faith, the Believer class is taken into Christ's own holiness. (I am assuming that in the Incarnation, Christ retained the divine attribute of Holiness, while taking on the Human attributes of Flesh, albeit without the attribute of Sin. This assumption could certainly be challenged, or at least could be examined further.)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But then, God gave the Believer class their freedom. Who was given more?

And by joining themselves to Christ in faith, the Believer class is taken into Christ's own holiness. (I am assuming that in the Incarnation, Christ retained the divine attribute of Holiness, while taking on the Human attributes of Flesh, albeit without the attribute of Sin. This assumption could certainly be challenged.)

Christ in you, the hope of glory. Hope of means hope of.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ in you, the hope of glory. Hope of means hope of.
Ah. Then is the Believer's holiness a hope deferred? That would certainly impact the "P" in TULIP. But that is consistent with the OP's original assumption that TULIP only applies to the Saint class.

But does the Believer class share in Christ's Righteousness, per 2 Corinthians 5:20-21? I think they would in this system.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Saints have more responsibility so they are given more capacity. To he who has more will be given (Matt. 13:12). Saints will rule with Christ over the righteous of the nations in the next age...and forever.

There is a distinction to be made between the bride of Christ and the many guests that are invited to the wedding feast.
Those who have been crucified to walk in the resurrection life of Christ while yet in these mortal bodies are becoming saints through the training school of Christ. The righteous are such by faithfulness in humility and the fear of the Lord.

So then the saint looks to the faithful in order to remain grounded in humility and the faithful look to the saint for guidance and inspiration...and humility. Each is to esteem the other as higher than himself.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah. Then is the Believer's holiness a hope deferred? That would certainly impact the "P" in TULIP. But that is consistent with the OP's original assumption that TULIP only applies to the Saint class.

I can't answer about tulip, I don't know it. I've heard it talked about but don't know it. I sort of skipped over that part in his post.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

But does the Believer class share in Christ's Righteousness, per 2 Corinthians 5:20-21? I think they would in this system.
We put on the righteousness of God when we enter into Christ....like a vehicle that brings us into a holy walk...like an airplane that causes us to fly above the pull of this world. So the race of faith is to enter into Christ right now to walk as He walked. Otherwise we are not in the race of holiness at all.
Judgment is according to one's own righteousness and faithfulness; otherwise it isn't a judgment but a lack of judgment.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saints have more responsibility so they are given more capacity. To he who has more will be given (Matt. 13:12). Saints will rule with Christ over the righteous of the nations in the next age...and forever.

There is a distinction to be made between the bride of Christ and the many guests that are invited to the wedding feast.
Those who have been crucified to walk in the resurrection life of Christ while yet in these mortal bodies are becoming saints through the training school of Christ. The righteous are such by faithfulness in humility and the fear of the Lord.

So then the saint looks to the faithful in order to remain grounded in humility and the faithful look to the saint for guidance and inspiration...and humility. Each is to esteem the other as higher than himself.

Can you maybe give some verses that show it being forever that the saints rule over the righteous forever? I think I rather had it in my head that it was for 1000 years. I could be very wrong on that...

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't answer about tulip, I don't know it. I've heard it talked about but don't know it. I sort of skipped over that part in his post.

As an exercise for the student, I'll let you Google it. I am specifically referring to the principle of the Perseverance of the Saints, that says that those chosen by God cannot fall away into unbelief. Mere Believers are in danger of losing their salvation through unbelief and rebellion against his Christ. In case anyone was wondering how Armageddon occurs at the end of the 1000-year reign.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can you maybe give some verses that show it being forever that the saints rule over the righteous forever? I think I rather had it in my head that it was for 1000 years. I could be very wrong on that...

Rev. 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Rev. 22:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

The saint is written in the Lamb's book of life. The righteous /faithful is saved by being written in the Book of life. There are 3 books that we will be judged from. (Also the book of remembrance (Mal. 3)that catches those who fail at being saints but who remain faithful)

Rev. 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You remembered correctly, but those who come from a Partial-Preterist eschatological background interpret the Millennial Reign as the Church age which we are in now, where Christ rules in the hearts of both Saints and Believers. Me, I got enough to do in the here and now; eschatology has to stay on the back burner.

"I don't preach much on the Second Coming. I'm too busy telling people about the first one." - Attributed to Billy Graham. I wish I could confirm this quote; it's pretty good.