The Fear of the Lord

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Episkopos,

What I mean is this is a salvation by works doctrine. Faith + works = saved. And you don't even really get to find out until after you are dead if it worked for you or not. Or, it seems, in your view, not just salvation, but position over or under others of us, if I'm understanding correctly.

What if your works have failed to garner sufficient righteousness for yourself, of yourself? Then what? It will be too late.

Hi Marks.

1. Salvation by works is about obeying the law of Moses...getting circumcised, eating kosher, honouring a sabbath etc... Now I've said this to you before...and I have stated this dozens of times on this forum. So please refrain from trying to understand what Paul is saying..but misunderstanding.

You are actually espousing a dead faith...faith-works of faith= death

Paul was trying to get Gentiles to NOT convert to Judaism. This has nothing to do with the required obedience required for salvation.

So then if you want to question the bible accurately...and what I'm saying...talk about obedience.

No one here is advocating becoming a Jew for salvation. So please stop with the strawman arguments.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible is very plain that salvation comes by faith, we are reborn of God, and remain His children forever. Works are performed as a result of that rebirth, and for no other reason. All other works are simply of the flesh.

God rejects His children as well as accepts them. Look at Israel. Were they not rejected because of unbelief and disobedience? So we are not superior to them. We are in the same boat that they were...before rejection. So then we need to fear the Lord as Paul wisely counsels because we are not MORE saved than the Jews were in their time. That is a fallacy to think that...that leads to the same end as they had. We need to be wise and fear the Lord and get on with the race trusting in the real God not some human religious presumption based on a misunderstand and a misreading of the bible for one's personal benefit.

We run the race that was laid out for us, in advance, being saved. God wants us to know we have eternal life. Not to wait to find out. And that we will have unity in love, not authority over each other.

We are redeemed and equipped in order to run the race of faith. How that ends depends on our faithfulness. Some will receive a reward...some will lose those rewards...and some will be cast into outer darkness where there is much regret.

God is PERFECTLY righteous....and doesn't spare anyone a true judgment...to give every man according to his works.

Eternal life doesn't work like you think. Eternal life is experienced by entering into Christ to walk as He walked...in the same power, love, presence and holiness as He did. The walk IN Jesus is the perfected humanity of Jesus that we exchange for our own lives.

But I've said all this before.

You need to read the bible without the indoctrination my friend. THEN perhaps the Lord will reveal the deeper truths that escape they who are happy with surface and human doctrines.

The authority in the next age is the saints ruling and reigning with Christ over the righteous in the saved nations. All this will be revealed as the bible records.

Judge nothing before the time.

READ what is actually written... ;)

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will have to help me here. Where, in the post you just quoted from above, did the man say anything about the character or motives of a particular other man?

Hi SBG,

Maybe I'm crossing threads, or perhaps that post was editted or deleted. Comments were along the lines of Neanterthals with the 4 pound brains, there was more, I'm trying to find it.

If I got mixed up my apologies. It looks like the comments aren't here, and that's all I ever wanted anyway.

~~~~~

OK, just found what I was looking for, got my threads mixed up! Happens to me sometimes. Sorry!

I was refering to comments in the Dispensationalism thread, about Neanderthals, caveman days and 4 pound brains, men devoid of spiritual understanding, the gospel fully misunderstood. This was post 58 on that thread. You should read the whole thing.

Anyone personally mentioned? No. Not in the part I was thinking of. Just all who disagree painted with the same brush. But Enoch took another slam.

Why is done?

But he often does things like that. Instead of presenting the reasons for his views, he smears those who disagree with stuff like, "You just want a free pass for your flesh" (post 66 on that thread). Huh?

Ok, sorry for the confusion!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So please refrain from trying to understand what Paul is saying..but misunderstanding.

We discuss to be clear, right? My view is that truth, if properly understood, is simple, and can be simply expressed. Convoluted arguments don't tend to convince me especially when the clear statements of Scripture appear to disagree. I look for clarity and simplicity.

Paul was trying to get Gentiles to NOT convert to Judaism. This has nothing to do with the required obedience required for salvation.

So then if you want to question the bible accurately...and what I'm saying...talk about obedience.

No one here is advocating becoming a Jew for salvation. So please stop with the strawman arguments.

There's a straw man right there! I've never, not once said anything that you advocate becoming a Jew. Classic example of straw man. Interesting!

Then what does it have to do with? Being a Saint over the Faithful?

God rejects His children as well as accepts them. Look at Israel.

Are you saying then that the Israelites were born again? Born of the Spirit, born of above?

In this part:

There are they who say that we are saved by...Jesus plus nothing"...as if God wanted us to relax our way into the kingdom. These are they who are overly afraid of "works".

But nobody is saved in a vacuum. We are ALWAYS doing works...whether they be works of the flesh or the Spirit. It is really just one or the other. So there is no such thing as "Jesus plus nothing." It is either Jesus plus the works of the flesh....to an eternal loss. Or else Jesus plus the life in the Spirit which leads to eternal rewards.

You've asserted that we are saved by Jesus plus "the life in the Spirit" You've asserted that we are always doing works, those being either the works of the flesh, or "the life in the Spirit", which, if we are to think a moment about what you mean by that, it would be those works that are not of the flesh, the "other" works, the works of the Spirit, and then you shift in your assertion, not that Jesus plus the life in the Spirit is to salvation, instead, to eternal rewards.

What does that mean? No one is finally saved until the end of their time...their race. So are you speaking of a religious salvation status? You know this doesn't exist but in the minds of religious men.

On this part, "So are you speaking of a religious salvation status? You know this doesn't exist but in the minds of religious men." If I know it doesn't exist, is that what I would be speaking of?

But back to your questions, what does this mean? "No one is finally saved until the end of their time...their race."

If no one is saved until the end of their time, and salvation equals Jesus + "the life in the Spirit", and "the life in the Spirit" is all the good works, as opposed to those fleshy works, then people are saved by trusting Jesus sufficiently to begin a life of good works which is ultimately what saves them.

If your salvation is dependent on what you do in the future, well, I'd be very afraid. But God wants us to know peace, and rest, in Jesus' finished work. And from that new life in Christ, we go on to live lives that honor Him, and that abound in good works, unreproachable.

Much love!

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hebrews 5:7-10 King James Version (KJV)
7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death and was heard in that he feared;

8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.
Good to approach matters of Scriptural doctrine with a wholesome Godly fear, indeed.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi SBG,

Maybe I'm crossing threads, or perhaps that post was editted or deleted. Comments were along the lines of Neanterthals with the 4 pound brains, there was more, I'm trying to find it.

If I got mixed up my apologies. It looks like the comments aren't here, and that's all I ever wanted anyway.

~~~~~

OK, just found what I was looking for, got my threads mixed up! Happens to me sometimes. Sorry!

I was refering to comments in the Dispensationalism thread, about Neanderthals, caveman days and 4 pound brains, men devoid of spiritual understanding, the gospel fully misunderstood. This was post 58 on that thread. You should read the whole thing.

Anyone personally mentioned? No. Not in the part I was thinking of. Just all who disagree painted with the same brush. But Enoch took another slam.

Why is done?

But he often does things like that. Instead of presenting the reasons for his views, he smears those who disagree with stuff like, "You just want a free pass for your flesh" (post 66 on that thread). Huh?

Ok, sorry for the confusion!

Much love!

You have shown yourself to be vindictive in the past....and you are derailing this thread with a personal beef that is taken out of context from another thread. But you won't post your disagreement there...because of your lack of honest character.

You would appear less of a hypocrite if you didn't always sign off with your "much love" signature as you sought to bring unfounded accusations against me.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have shown yourself to be vindictive in the past....
Hi Episkopos,

I sorry you seem unable to avoid smearing others. This does not contribute to a discussion. And I for one do not see how this is from the Spirit of God.

...because of your lack of honest character.

with a personal beef that is taken out of context from another thread.

What I was actually objecting to, admittedly from a different thread, is your willingness to say pretty much anything no matter how lowbrow to silence those who disagree with you, as you have done with me pretty much as long as I've posted on this forum. And that being instead of true discussion.

But then you demonstrate the same willingness on this thread, so be it.

Much love!

Love is of course the commitment and desire towards the wellbeing of the object of that love. And I truly desire that you find rest in the finished work of Christ, and the peaceableness that comes in knowing the security of the Father's love in Christ Jesus.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Episkopos,

I sorry you seem unable to avoid smearing others. This does not contribute to a discussion. And I for one do not see how this is from the Spirit of God.

What I was actually objecting to, admittedly from a different thread, is your willingness to say pretty much anything no matter how lowbrow to silence those who disagree with you, as you have done with me pretty much as long as I've posted on this forum. And that being instead of true discussion.

But then you demonstrate the same willingness on this thread, so be it.

Much love!

Love is of course the commitment and desire towards the wellbeing of the object of that love. And I truly desire that you find rest in the finished work of Christ, and the peaceableness that comes in knowing the security of the Father's love in Christ Jesus.

Actually you are the one trying to pump up the volume so to speak by repeating a matter that wasn't even addressed to you. I'm sure that many here see what you're doing.

You can't hide from the Lord. The truth will always find you out.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually you are the one trying to pump up the volume so to speak by repeating a matter that wasn't even addressed to you. I'm sure that many here see what you're doing.

You can't hide from the Lord. The truth will always find you out.

Actually, I'm trying to dial down the agressive and insulting tone I find in many threads, by bringing to light what is happening.

Seriously . . . you've smeared me a lot. And yes, truth will win out.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually, I'm trying to dial down the agressive and insulting tone I find in many threads, by bringing to light what is happening.

Seriously . . . you've smeared me a lot. And yes, truth will win out.

Much love!

You are just exposing yourself...even though you don't like to be so exposed. Your own smear tactics will just backfire on you.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are just exposing yourself...even though you don't like to be so exposed. Your own smear tactics will just backfire on you.

We used to play this when we were children, "I know you are but what am I", we called it. You could say that to anything anyone said.

It made as little sense then as it does now. Truth is truth.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We used to play this when we were children, "I know you are but what am I", we called it. You could say that to anything anyone said.

It made as little sense then as it does now. Truth is truth.

Much love!

Ask yourself...why am I on this thread? Do I care about the OP? Do I have any fear of the Lord at all? Do I have a personal axe to grind?

or... ask yourself...

Am I here to take eyes off the Lord and onto me?

Get to know yourself...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask yourself...why am I on this thread? Do I care about the OP? Do I have any fear of the Lord at all? Do I have a personal axe to grind?

or... ask yourself...

Am I here to take eyes off the Lord and onto me?

Get to know yourself...

To impart GRACE to those who hear. Anything which promotes a works based Gospel takes people away from grace, moves them into the flesh, trying to make sure they are good enough.

It's important to know ourselves. We should all be asking those questions, why am I here, what am I doing, along with, How will my words be read?

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To impart GRACE to those who hear. Anything which promotes a works based Gospel takes people away from grace, moves them into the flesh, trying to make sure they are good enough.

It's important to know ourselves. We should all be asking those questions, why am I here, what am I doing, along with, How will my words be read?

Much love!

See you're doing it again...completely disconnected from anything I said...to go into your mind loop...

So I leave you to mumble to yourself.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Five hundred years ago, if a boy said, "I fear my father," we'd think good for him, he respects his father. Today, if a boy said that he feared his father, Children Services would get involved.
I remember the night God showed me His glory. I was left with reverential awe for Him. I saw that God was almighty and knew everything. This was someone I needed to listen to. He started making me wise.
I've heard believers go on about how afraid of God they are like it was a good thing.
Five hundred years ago, the word fear was used appropriately. In order to please those who were steeped in tradition, many recent translations left the word fear in scripture. I've learned that many are more concerned with their own preferences than having scripture that can be understood by new believers. "Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyard, our vineyards that are in bloom." Song of Solomon 2:15 NIV

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Five hundred years ago, if a boy said, "I fear my father," we'd think good for him, he respects his father. Today, if a boy said that he feared his father, Children Services would get involved.
I remember the night God showed me His glory. I was left with reverential awe for Him. I saw that God was almighty and knew everything. This was someone I needed to listen to. He started making me wise.
I've heard believers go on about how afraid of God they are like it was a good thing.
Five hundred years ago, the word fear was used appropriately. In order to please those who were steeped in tradition, many recent translations left the word fear in scripture. I've learned that many are more concerned with their own preferences than having scripture that can be understood by new believers. "Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyard, our vineyards that are in bloom." Song of Solomon 2:15 NIV

These little foxes will be caught in there own snares. And yet, we have entered that season, and they would not.
Where will they hide from the overwhelming scourge that passes through. For day and by night it will pass through. It will be shear terror to understand the message! And yes, His Glory is beyond words.

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
These little foxes will be caught in there own snares. And yet, we have entered that season, and they would not.
Where will they hide from the overwhelming scourge that passes through. For day and by night it will pass through. It will be shear terror to understand the message! And yes, His Glory is beyond words.
Awesome beyond words!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have never felt terror from God. He is my loving Father. He showed me His unconditional love for me, even though He knew everything about me. At the same time, He gave me a taste of what He has prepared for me. 100% excellent. It took about 14 years for it to fade.
20 years ago, it was like He lifted up the corner on reality for me. I saw how things really were in another realm. That came close to scaring me, though it wasn't Him doing it to me.
I related on another post how He laid me on the floor and when the fire had consumed the sacrifice, His Spirit entered me and I started shaking powerfully. I grew spiritually and my prayer language burst out of my mouth. In all my experiences with Him, I never felt afraid of Him. Instead, He calmed my fears. I understand that much of what I say may contradict certain doctrines but every time He has done stuff with me, He always shows me later where it is in the word. I came to Him as a broken, desperate man. "A bruised reed He will not break, and a smoldering wick He will not snuff out. In faithfulness He will bring forth justice;" Isaiah 42:3 NIV Shalom

Reactions: marks

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never felt terror from God. He is my loving Father. He showed me His unconditional love for me, even though He knew everything about me. At the same time, He gave me a taste of what He has prepared for me. 100% excellent. It took about 14 years for it to fade.
20 years ago, it was like He lifted up the corner on reality for me. I saw how things really were in another realm. That came close to scaring me, though it wasn't Him doing it to me.
I related on another post how He laid me on the floor and when the fire had consumed the sacrifice, His Spirit entered me and I started shaking powerfully. I grew spiritually and my prayer language burst out of my mouth. In all my experiences with Him, I never felt afraid of Him. Instead, He calmed my fears. I understand that much of what I say may contradict certain doctrines but every time He has done stuff with me, He always shows me later where it is in the word. I came to Him as a broken, desperate man. "A bruised reed He will not break, and a smoldering wick He will not snuff out. In faithfulness He will bring forth justice;" Isaiah 42:3 NIV Shalom

The fear is not being afraid, but awe and respect and complete thankfulness. Just think, the Creator of the whole universe knows your name!