• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean the two love commands plucked out of the old covenant scriptures?

See post #430
Exactly. The only part that is the essence of the old covenant that remains. But you just don’t get that.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no Testament divisions in the Bible corresponding with other covenants (Noahic, Abrahamic, etc.).

The new covenant came from the Old Testament and was initially made with the old covenant people.

Jesus expected Nicodemus, an old covenant theologian, lto understand new covenant theology.
I showed from scripture that covenant and Testament are synonymous - that means the same thing, BTW.

The Old Testament is primarily about the old covenant with Israel, and the New Testament is solely about the new covenant with Israel.

Your bible says old covenant and new covenant- because Testament and covenant are the same thing.

From Strongs bible dictionary:

G1242 (Strong)

διαθήκη

diathēkē

dee-ath-ay'-kay

From G1303; properly a disposition, that is, (specifically) a contract (especially a devisory will): - covenant, testament.

Total KJV occurrences: 33

You’re arguing from ignorance, when your very own bible says Old covenant and new covenant.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that death was laid on Jesus. Now what? The police officer has let you off even though you were doing 125mph through the city. What you gonna to do? A burn out as you do an illegal U-turn leaving him enveloped in a cloud of smoke?
You are putting yourself and ignorantly trying to put others under the ended old covenant that is bondage, Galatians 4:21-31, and brings death and condemnation, 2 Corinthians 3, thus making Christ of no effect unto you, and you’ve fallen from grace, that’s what.

Those same commands you claim you need to keep,requires you to kill sabbath breakers, under the same law the Decalogue came from.

That’s what.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
God never had an old covenant, never swore the old covenant, never approved of or improved on any old covenant. The old covenant is MAN'S covenant sworn untruthfully, his vow of infidelity.

Modern Antinomian legalists' 'NT covenant', is desperate hammering on the door of Noah's ark for entrance - futile noise of resentment repentance showing-off.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. The only part that is the essence of the old covenant that remains. But you just don’t get that.
So you're saying that the essence of the old covenant is essential to the new?

Too bad the Bible doesn't say "Man shall not live by bread alone but by every essence that proceeds out of the mouth of God."

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you're saying that the essence of the old covenant is essential to the new?

Too bad the Bible doesn't say "Man shall not live by bread alone but by every essence that proceeds out of the mouth of God."
God always has law.

The two commands transferred to the new covenant, because they fulfill ALL THE LAW, per Paul and Jesus.

The Decalogue and the 4th command did not transfer over, because that command was the old covenant sign between God and National Israel, given after the Exodus, and the old covenant is defunct.

The old covenant is bondage, Galatians 4:21-31 ; the Decalogue given to Moses kills and ministers death and condemnation, 2 Corinthians 3, but the new covenant of the spirit gives life.

The SDA incorrectly preaches that bondage, and the ministry of death and condemnation is for today under the new covenant.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I showed from scripture that covenant and Testament are synonymous - that means the same thing, BTW.

The Old Testament is primarily about the old covenant with Israel, and the New Testament is solely about the new covenant with Israel.

Your bible says old covenant and new covenant- because Testament and covenant are the same thing.

From Strongs bible dictionary:

G1242 (Strong)

διαθήκη

diathēkē

dee-ath-ay'-kay

From G1303; properly a disposition, that is, (specifically) a contract (especially a devisory will): - covenant, testament.

Total KJV occurrences: 33

You’re arguing from ignorance, when your very own bible says Old covenant and new covenant.
I'm not talking about the Bible's use of the word "testament." I'm talking about man's use of it.

And, by the way, if the two words always mean exactly the same thing, then why is the original language word translated "testament" in some places and "covenant" in others?
Luther explains: "He who stays alive makes a covenant; he who is about to die makes a testament."

Hebrews 9:17 KJV: For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
Lexicons are not inspired and can also be misread.

Where in the Bible does it say that the Scriptures should be divided into two parts called "testaments?" Before Melito and Jerome, they were called the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures.

The early church had only the Old Testament.

John 5:39 KJV: Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Christ had only the Old Testament when He opened to the mourners on the road to Emmaus "all things concerning Himself."

We should avoid reading into others' posts things that are not there.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God always has law.

The two commands transferred to the new covenant, because they fulfill ALL THE LAW, per Paul and Jesus.
Agreed
The Decalogue and the 4th command did not transfer over, because that command was the old covenant sign between God and National Israel, given after the Exodus, and the old covenant is defunct.
This is the old covenant:
Exodus 19:8 KJV: And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.
the Decalogue given to Moses kills and ministers death and condemnation, 2 Corinthians 3, but the new covenant of the spirit gives life.
Romans 7
7What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

13Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. 14For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

21I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

1 John 3:4 KJV: Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Romans 6:23 KJV: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Genesis 3:4 KJV: And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

You are free to disregard all that the New Testament has to say about the ten commandments. No man can "put" another "under bondage."

Psalm 119:165 KJV: Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Those same commands you claim you need to keep,requires you to kill sabbath breakers, under the same law the Decalogue came from.

Only a hypocrite argues like this, accuse God, claiming He <requires you to kill> whosoever! The Law of God commands you NOT to kill. That is God, speaking in His Law and Commandments.
If you cannot see the difference between God commanding positively, righteously and justly, and God commanding negatively, righteously and justly because of man's wicked fallen state, you know nothing of God and nothing of man either.
But you take YOURSELF for the measure of perfection in righteousness and fairness, arguing like here.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only a hypocrite argues like this, accuse God, claiming He <requires you to kill> whosoever! The Law of God commands you NOT to kill. That is God, speaking in His Law and Commandments.
If you cannot see the difference between God commanding positively, righteously and justly, and God commanding negatively because of man's wicked fallen state, you know nothing of God and nothing of man either.
But you take YOURSELF for the measure of perfection in righteousness and fairness, arguing like here.
Try reading the Bible sometime.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
272000933_146782834384011_1438152409591684825_n.jpg

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
BarnyFife said:
You mean the two love commands plucked out of the old covenant scriptures?

Exactly! Colossians 2:16,17, "SABBATH'S FEAST OF CHRIST THE SUBSTANCE".
God is Holy Spirit of judgement WITNESS!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God never had an old covenant
Then why did the Holy Spirit -- through Paul -- tell us that God did have an "Old Covenant" and it is "that which is abolished"? Who is mistaken -- you or Paul?

And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: (2 Cor 3:13)

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Then why did the Holy Spirit -- through Paul -- tell us that God did have an "Old Covenant" and it is "that which is abolished"? Who is mistaken -- you or Paul?

You really think I'm going to take your bluff for real?
First you, Pseudo Enoch111, show where, or how, <the Holy Spirit> -- through Paul or anyone else -- tells us that, 1: <God did have an "Old Covenant">, and that, 2: <it> -- <God's "Old Covenant">, <is "that which is abolished">!
Not before you have quoted Paul or God or anyone of the Bible here, will I answer you on <it> -- which you now have to show, to show that you have credibility at all.