The Gift of Tongues: its General Availability, Purpose, and Power

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said; “so that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ; who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye be unreproveable in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 1:7)

Notice the Revelation would also confirm them to the end. So they would not seek the gifts until the end. But only until the Revelation of Christ.

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John;” (Revelation 1:1)

So he was saying the gifts would expire with the Revelation of Jesus Christ that we now know was written by John in either 60 or 90 AD.

All of the gifts expired, and history confirms this, as John published Revelation.

No time restrictions here....

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; - Mark 16:17

Reactions: Hidden In Him

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to provide scripture for your claims. Show where the gifts came in any other way than through the two outpourings or through an apostle's hands. You are adding to scripture unless you provide this.

Your hatred against tongues is not scriptural or heavenly inspired.

D

Dave L

No time restrictions here....

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; - Mark 16:17
I speak in a new tongue since Christ saved me. Have cast out demons in Jesus' name. And laid hands on the sick and they recovered.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dave L: "You need to provide scripture for your claims."
I just did again my last post which you of course duck, as usual.

Dave: "Show where the gifts came in any other way than through the two outpourings or through an apostle's hands. You are adding to scripture unless you provide this."
No, the burden of proof lies with you to prove that the normative character of the only occasion on which the gift of tongues was bestowed through the laying on of hands (Acts 19:5-6). In an astounding display of myopia, you ignore the bestowal of the gifts of the Spirit, including tongues, on the Corinthians:

"You are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 1:7)."

Paul has been party to creating of the charismatic chaos in Corinth. Rather, he learns about from a letter from them (7;1). Paul begins his response to this chaos with the phrase "Now concerning spiritual gifts (12:1)." So there is no reason to believe that Paul conferred the gift of tongues on them through the laying on of hands. If he had, he would then have offered the instructions for the exercise of these gifts during public worship.

farouk: "As I read the OP (without being personally hostile), it seems to imply the insufficiency of Scripture. The sign gifts emerged in the transitional Apostolic period at the beginning of the New Testament era when the Scriptures were still not complete."

First, the Scriptures are insufficient, apart from the illuminating role of the Holy Spirit in bringing them to life and helping us apply them to our lives. That is precisely the role that modern glossolalia and prophecy plays in the life of the church. As I have mentioned modern prophecy and speaking in tongues do not replace Scripture; rather, they achieve what Scripture in itself can't--they speak directly to the needs of specific churches and their growing needy members.
Second, notice how Dave constantly uses repetitive bluster to cover up the fact that he has no grounds for interpreting "the perfect" in 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 as a reference to the completed NT canon--a claim that no modern academic commentary on 1 Corinthians makes because it is so obvious that "to teleion" refers to the "face to face" encounter with Christ at His 2nd Coming. This neglect of the most qualified commentators on Holy Scripture reduces your claim and Dave's to cultic status! btw. Did you even bother to read my last post which also directly refutes your claim?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. - 1 Corinthians 14:39

But remember, this was said before the Bible was complete.

Gifts are still given but the exacting purposes for them have changed.

Similar to when Christ was on the earth they prayed to the Father. But after he ascended Christ became the mediator between us and the father.

Reactions: Waiting on him

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After all that said Paul says....

I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: - 1 Corinthians 14:18
Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. - 1 Corinthians 14:39

People do speak in tongues these days, as is the case in our church....

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After all that said Paul says....

I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: - 1 Corinthians 14:18

People do speak in tongues these days, as is the case in our church....

Do you find it interesting that Pentecostals claim a lot of tongue speaking while Chrismatics practicing a lot less. And all others who believe it is still a gift but rarely if ever practice it.

Since it is given at the will of the Holy Spirit why is this true?

Without a doubt there are a lot of false tongues, including those babbling in excitement or feeling pressure they have to speak in tongues.

Reactions: Waiting on him

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you find it interesting that Pentecostals claim a lot of tongue speaking while Chrismatics practicing a lot less. And all others who believe it is still a gift but rarely if ever practice it.

Since it is given at the will of the Holy Spirit why is this true?

Without a doubt there are a lot of false tongues, including those babbling in excitement or feeling pressure they have to speak in tongues.

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. - Matthew 24:12

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That did not answer my question lotion trying to imply love of God requires tongues.

What about those with the other gifts. After all not every gift is given to everyone.

I did not say anything about requiring tongues.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul could sense something missing in the life of the believers...

1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
7 And all the men were about twelve. - Acts 19