The Gift of Tongues: its General Availability, Purpose, and Power

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The City of Corinth was a huge hub for many different people. There were many different nationalities there and Paul was trying to keep confusion out of the Church. If you understand what was going on in Corinth you can understand why Paul said what he did.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
At age 16 I was so nagged by doubts about the reliability of Scripture and the authenticity of charismatic manifestations in church that my faith crisis prompted me to spend a week at Manhattan Beach Camp near Ninette, Manitoba with the hope that God would meet me in the Pentecostal camp meetings in the huge outdoor amphitheater there. I responded to the encouragement to seek God at the altar after the services. But my heart felt like stone when I did because I felt tempted to succumb to wishful thinking and just speak gibberish in the flesh. So on Tuesday, I went on a long 7 mile country prayer walk, pleading with God to resolve my crippling doubts and pledging my willingness to die in His service, if He would only make Himself real to me. When I returned from my walk, I was famished and went to the camp dining hall to buy dinner. But then it occurred to me that I should instead fast and put the money I would have spent on dinner into the evening offering plate. So I did and then attended the evening camp meeting.
At the end of the service, as I had done previously in vain, I walked to the altar up front and knelt in prayer. My heart again felt like stone and I was determined not to succumb to the power of suggestion and wishful thinking by stepping out in faith and speaking in tongues. Soon everyone had left and I lingered in my depressing prayer vigil in the mostly darkened amphitheater. Suddenly I felt a warm breeze, which I assumed had blown in off of the adjacent Pelican Lake. I was shocked when I realized that this breeze was in fact the wind of the Holy Spirit! The Spirit immediately overpowered my resistance and I found myself speaking in tongues at the top of my voice. I was engulfed by wave after wave of liquid love, each wave more intense than the last, until I felt like I might die! At one point, my ego seemed on the verge of collapse into the divine mind. I can only describe this outpouring of divine love as a hundred times more intense and sweeter than I have experienced before or since. This proved to be unquestionably the highlight of my life and, decades later, I continue to draw emotional nourishment from the memory of that epic day.

After several minutes, I noticed a few spectators sitting reverently nearby. I asked one lady why she was staring at me and she replied, "Don't you know? Your face is glowing in the dark!" I returned to my knees to continue feasting on God's presence. Then I was interrupted by a Lutheran minister, who tapped me on the shoulder and said he was there only as an interested spectator of other religious traditions and didn't believe in speaking in tongues. But he could sense that God was doing a special work in my spirit and he asked me to pray for him. I didn't argue wit him, but just touched him gently on the forehead and he exploded in other tongues!

When I returned to my cabin, I realized that God had spoken to me, though not in an audible voice or a message printed on the neon screen of my mind. God told me, "You desperately need answers to your vexing questions. But right now answers are not good for you because answers would lead you to live too much in your head rather than from your heart. I'm calling you to live the big questions until they lead you to the center of my heart." That calling led me to get an MDiv from Princeton and a doctorate in New Testament, Judaism, and Greco-Roman religion from Harvard.

Like many others, I believe that speaking in tongues is like a gateway drug that leads to other gifts of the Spirit. Shortly after the experience, I had my first of many experiences of "the word of knowledge (see 1 Corinthians 12:8-10)." I suddenly knew that I would obtain the highest high school GPA in the province as a gift from God to signify my academic calling. At a funeral a few years ago, my cousin reminded me that I had informed him of this divine message before it was fulfilled. Previously, my academic performance had been nothing special. So I believe that my Baptism in the Holy Spirit had "renewed my mind (as per Romans 12:1-2). Duff Roblin, the Premier of the province, awarded my a scholarship in recognition of this achievement. I believe this recognition supported my earlier attempts to witness to classmates, which had seemed to give me a reputation as a religious fanatic. To God be the glory!

I post this experience at the beginning of this thread because, quite apart from the teaching of Paul and the Book of Acts on this matter, I'm convinced that if any of you had experienced what I did that fateful night, it would by BY FAR the spiritual highlight of your life. It is the raason why I never drifted off into agnosticism.

How wonderful and such an uplifting testimony.

My own first experience of tongues as a fairly new Christian was wonderful but nowhere near as captivating as your story.

I was just working in my kitchen one day and started to sing praise songs as I often did and all of a sudden I found myself singing in an unknown language.

It has a rythm and form and was definitely not gabbling as it was beautiful. The song repeated over and over and over with the same tune but different words, like verses and a chorus. And then just as suddenly I began to sing words in English and it turned out to be a prophetic song which I have remembered all my life and still sing to myself. And couple of years ago God showed me that part of the prophesy had indeed come to pass. I'm still waiting for the others to be fulfilled.

Reactions: Berserk
D

Dave L

The City of Corinth was a huge hub for many different people. There were many different nationalities there and Paul was trying to keep confusion out of the Church. If you understand what was going on in Corinth you can understand why Paul said what he did.
But you must twist Paul's other words to support your claims.

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No I'm not.
KJV Translation Count — Total: 50x
The KJV translates Strong's G1100 in the following manner: tongue (50x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech

2. a tongue
    1. the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations

D

Dave L

No I'm not.
KJV Translation Count — Total: 50x
The KJV translates Strong's G1100 in the following manner: tongue (50x).
  1. the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech

2. a tongue
    1. the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations
But Paul defines biblical tongues as speaking not to people but to God. Because people cannot understand the heavenly language.

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul talks about diverse tongues. Only God can understand the language unless there is an interpreter. Paul doesn't say "heavenly" language.

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes it does. I gave you the Strong's meaning of tongues. The Bible clearly says the tongues Paul talks about are diverse languages. Understanding what went on in Corinth confirms it.

D

Dave L

Yes it does. I gave you the Strong's meaning of tongues. The Bible clearly says the tongues Paul talks about are diverse languages. Understanding what went on in Corinth confirms it.
But Paul clarifies his use of the word. People heard languages as you say. But they were interpretations of a heavenly language understood only by God unless interpreted.

Jeff Wiebe

Feb 9, 2019
Letellier MB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Define Spirit in 1Corinthians14:2
1 Corinthians 14:2 New King James Version (NKJV)
2 For he who A)' data-cr="#cen-NKJV-28681A">speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Many meanings to chose from. Find the one that best fits the context.
KJV Translation Count — Total: 385x
The KJV translates Strong's G4151 in the following manner: Spirit (111x), Holy Ghost (89x), Spirit (of God) (13x), Spirit (of the Lord) (5x), (My) Spirit (3x), Spirit (of truth) (3x), Spirit (of Christ) (2x), human (spirit) (49x), (evil) spirit (47x), spirit (general) (26x), spirit (8x), (Jesus' own) spirit (6x), (Jesus' own) ghost (2x), miscellaneous (21x).
  1. the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
    1. sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)

2. sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")

3. never referred to as a depersonalised force
  2. the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated
    1. the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides

2. the soul
  3. a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
    1. a life giving spirit

2. a human soul that has left the body

3. a spirit higher than man but lower than God, i.e. an angel
      1. used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men

2. the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ
  4. the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of any one
    1. the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.
  5. a movement of air (a gentle blast)
    1. of the wind, hence the wind itself

2. breath of nostrils or mouth

Reactions: Dave L

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already presented scripture saying the gifts came only through the two outpourings or through an apostle's hands. Scripture does not support any other means. You need to realize this and accept that Pentecostalism is unscriptural in their view of the gifts today.

And I and all the neutral academic Bible commentaries on Acts and 1 Corinthians have decisively refute your unsubstantiated claims--and you have not answer other than babbling on repetitively with no rational defense.

D

Dave L

And I and all the neutral academic Bible commentaries on Acts and 1 Corinthians have decisively refute your unsubstantiated claims--and you have not answer other than babbling on repetitively with no rational defense.
If you can show another way of distributing the gifts besides the two outpourings or through an apostle's hands, you can prove you are not wrong in this.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How wonderful and such an uplifting testimony.

My own first experience of tongues as a fairly new Christian was wonderful but nowhere near as captivating as your story.

I was just working in my kitchen one day and started to sing praise songs as I often did and all of a sudden I found myself singing in an unknown language.

It has a rythm and form and was definitely not gabbling as it was beautiful. The song repeated over and over and over with the same tune but different words, like verses and a chorus. And then just as suddenly I began to sing words in English and it turned out to be a prophetic song which I have remembered all my life and still sing to myself. And couple of years ago God showed me that part of the prophesy had indeed come to pass. I'm still waiting for the others to be fulfilled.

Pearl,

Thanks for sharing your testimony. The tongues haters here rigidly hide behind the stereotype that modern glossolalia is usually imparted through the laying on of hands. Your experience (and mine) is more typical and wonderfully illustrates Paul's case for private praise and songs in tongues, of which they haters are oblivious in their unthinking blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Pearl
D

Dave L

Pearl,

Thanks for sharing your testimony. The tongues haters here rigidly hide behind the stereotype that modern glossolalia is usually imparted through the laying on of hands. Your experience (and mine) is more typical and wonderfully illustrates Paul's case for private praise and songs in tongues, of which they haters are oblivious in their unthinking blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
You might be blaspheming the Holy Spirit claiming the babbling of your sinful flesh comes from him.