The Glory of the Gospel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

banjo71

May 9, 2011
IL
I'm doing a study at church in Galatians called "The Glory of the Gospel". Basically, it strips away self-righteousness and exposes our sinful nature. I have learned a lot about myself. Self righteousness has pride, masks, denial, pretense, and hidden motives. Often we tend to set high standards for our life, that we shouldn't sin here and there, and that if we do we are in danger of God's eternal judgment. God may discipline, but He's not in the business of rejecting his children. But this legalism is dangerous to ourselves, and shuts the window of heaven. God isn't as nearly hard on us as we think, compared to how hard we are on ourselves. God wants us to feel comfortable in his presence, whether we've just committed a sin or whether we haven't. Many of us are probably babes in the grace of God. Few of us are fully mature. I know I'm not. So overcoming sin is a process and a journey.

But my main point I guess was to say, that as the "prostitutes and tax collectors will see the Kingdom of God before the self-righteous," so we must repent of self-righteousness and see the sin in our lives plainly, simply, and clearly.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If we are always filled and even overflowing with the Spirit, then we will leave no rrom for the flesh.

There is a keeping power to being in Christ. His presence keeps us filled. When we look away from Him to gaze upon other things then we will slowly begin to deflate, like a tire with a slow leak.

As someone famous once said...the only way to keep a leaky vessel filled is to keep pouring in!

Maran atha!

Reactions: Episkopos

Holy Pursuit

May 29, 2011
[quote name='One of God's Children' timestamp='1307247488' post='113211']
I'm doing a study at church in Galatians called "The Glory of the Gospel". Basically, it strips away self-righteousness and exposes our sinful nature. I have learned a lot about myself. Self righteousness has pride, masks, denial, pretense, and hidden motives. Often we tend to set high standards for our life, that we shouldn't sin here and there, and that if we do we are in danger of God's eternal judgment. God may discipline, but He's not in the business of rejecting his children. But this legalism is dangerous to ourselves, and shuts the window of heaven. God isn't as nearly hard on us as we think, compared to how hard we are on ourselves. God wants us to feel comfortable in his presence, whether we've just committed a sin or whether we haven't. Many of us are probably babes in the grace of God. Few of us are fully mature. I know I'm not. So overcoming sin is a process and a journey.

But my main point I guess was to say, that as the "prostitutes and tax collectors will see the Kingdom of God before the self-righteous," so we must repent of self-righteousness and see the sin in our lives plainly, simply, and clearly.

[/quote]

My experience with this is, the more He has taught you, the more He expects, His standards are high, they are the standards of Jesus. The more He teaches and shows us the more accountable we are to these things, and I would say God is harder on us than we are on ourselves in these times. Please know I am not arguing with you in the least as God shows us things at different times, however I would say God's discipline is lovingly severe, and He has allowed very difficult circumstances in my life to teach a lesson and to mature my understanding. After all, if you look at Moses, he was not allowed to enter the Promiseland because of his sin and He allowed Joseph to be sold into slaverly. When I read that God is not concerned about making us comfortable - I wholeheartedly agree.

Blessings.

Reactions: Prentis

discipleHelovestoo

May 14, 2011
Exodus 33:18-19 KJVR
(18) And he said, I beseech thee, show me thy glory.
(19) And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. (emphasis added)

For me, this is the definition of God's Glory - His Goodness. The way we glorify God is to show Him to be Good. This is the true Christian witness that changes lives:

Romans 2:1-4 KJVR
(1) Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
(2) But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
(3) And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
(4) Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? (emphasis added)

The 'Glory of the Gospel' is the 'Goodness of the Gospel'; after all, 'gospel' means more than just 'good news' - it means 'almost too good to be true news'.

So what's really so good about the Gospel? Is it missing hell? well, that is a good thing, but it's not the 'almost too good to be true' thing.

Is it walking in Divine health? well, this is a good thing too, but not if you're a slave.

Is it being free? we're getting somewhere now, but being free and in lack isn't so great.

Is it being prosperous? money can't buy happiness right?

John 17:3 KJVR
(3) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Knowing God - being free to boldly fellowship with Him - this is what's SOOOO good about the Gospel - this is the 'Glory of the Gospel' - because though knowing God we are able to receive all good things:

2 Peter 1:2-4 KJVR
(2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
(3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
(4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. (emphasis added)

the battle is in the mind; what you focus on is magnified in your life. if you focus on self-righteousness, it will grow. the way to become more outwardly holy is not to 'stop that sinning' - but to focus on God instead of yourself - this will lead to effortless change that starts in the heart and then automatically becomes evident in the actions.

if outward holiness was the key witness that would bring peple into fellowship with God, then the Pharasees would have been the most powerful witnesses of their day; yet we know this is not true. the witness that changes lives is the goodness of God toward others that people see in you - this is the the 'Glory of the Gospel'

Galatians 6:15 KJVR
(15) For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

GLY!!!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I also my fellow bretheren in Christ Jesus am growing in the grace of God "YHWH". I believe as the scripture states you should live holy before God but not holier than thou or self righteous but live a life that glorifies Christ and have his image revealed through you. And part of that is understanding that we all sin and fall short of the Glory of God but by the grace and mercy and blood sacrfice of Christ we have an intercessor and adovcator between us "man" and God!