The Golden Calf

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Observation #1: israelites worshipped a golden calf when Moses was with God on Mount Sinai.

Observation #2: hindus in india are known to engage in cow worship.

Could there have been crossover between ancient israelites and ancient hinduism?

If so what significance might this imply.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Observation #1: israelites worshipped a golden calf when Moses was with God on Mount Sinai.

Could there have been crossover between ancient israelites and ancient hinduism?

Look further back to Egypt.

Hathor (Ancient Egyptian: ḥwt-ḥr, lit. 'House of Horus', Ancient Greek: Ἁθώρ Hathōr, Coptic: ϩⲁⲑⲱⲣ, Meroitic: ‎ Atri/Atari) was a major goddess in ancient Egyptian religion who played a wide variety of roles.

Hathor was often depicted as a cow, symbolizing her maternal and celestial aspect, although her most common form was a woman wearing a headdress of cow horns and a sun disk. She could also be represented as a lioness, a cobra, or a sycamore tree.

Cattle goddesses similar to Hathor were portrayed in Egyptian art in the fourth millennium BC, but she may not have appeared until the Old Kingdom (c. 2686–2181 BC). [Wkpd Hathor ]

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The golden calf im pretty sure comes from the bull. The ancient sun God "bill" or "bell" and in the bible "baal".

Dollar "bill"
Pay your "bills"

Reactions: Space_Karen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The Israelites would have seen a bull (representing power) not a calf, as something to venerate. The Hebrews tended to make fun of false gods. Like Beelzebub....which means "lord of the flies" (basically dung that attracts flies). So then a derogatory way to portray the "sacred bull" idolatry is to call the object of worship a calf.

Cows don't represent power the way a bull does. So I don't see a connection with the cow veneration....although humans can venerate anything that moves...or doesn't move.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrews tended to make fun of false gods. Like Beelzebub....which means "lord of the flies" (basically dung that attracts flies).
One of those fascinating pieces of Bible trivia my mind is always picking up:

The KJV Bible censors took it upon themselves to clean up the NT's earthy language by substituting "Beelzebub" where Matthew, Mark, and Luke's Greek text has Βεελζεβούλ ("Beelzeboul"), a transliteration of "baal zebul". Which means, "lord of dung". (And a certain harsher English word would better capture the sense of mockery.)

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What an interesting question! I think there may be a connection. We don't know what everyone was worshiping during the time the tower was built. Everyone was there together until the language was confounded, and those that could speak the same, I assume, went off together. It would make perfect sense for each group leaving to carry the customs the people had when united. They did so with buildings (ziggurats in many places).

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also @Space_Karen --I wanted to look further about why, again,they made a calf.(I had forgotten about the mixed multitude in the group)
I saw this on Wiki, and thought you would like to read it. There is a lot here--including Jeroboam and the calves he made( which I had forgotten about)

Golden calf - Wikipedia

This is from the article, and there is much more on the subject:

The declarations of Aaron and Jeroboam are almost identical:
  • 'These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up from the land of Egypt' (Exod 32:4, 8);
  • 'Behold your gods, O Israel, who brought you up from the land of Egypt (1 Kings 12:28)

After making the golden calf or golden calves both Aaron and Jeroboam celebrate festivals. Aaron builds an altar and Jeroboam ascends an altar (Exod 32:5–6; 1 Kings 12:32–33).
[8]

One of the problems with study and questions,for me anyway, is I start on one subject and wind up on something else. :D

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The golden calf im pretty sure comes from the bull. The ancient sun God "bill" or "bell" and in the bible "baal".

Dollar "bill"
Pay your "bills"
Funny munny.

Quotes from: Wkpd: Baal

Baal was a title and honorific meaning 'owner' or 'lord' in the Northwest Semitic languages spoken in the Levant during antiquity. From its use among people, it came to be applied to gods. Scholars previously associated the theonym with solar cults and with a variety of unrelated patron deities, but inscriptions have shown that the name Ba'al was particularly associated with the storm and fertility god Hadad and his local manifestations ².

The worship of Baal penetrated Jewish religious life during the period of the Judges (Judges 3:7), became common in Israel during the rule of Ahab (1 Kings 16:31-33), and also influenced Judah (2 Chronicles 28:1-2) ¹. Baal becomes a big player in the book of Judges and during the time of the kings when Israel appears to succumb most to foreign pantheons ¹.

The Baʿal of Ugarit was the epithet of Hadad but as the time passed, the epithet became the god's name while Hadad became the epithet.[32] Baʿal was usually said to be the son of Dagan, but appears as one of the sons of El in Ugaritic sources.[27][18][e] Both Baʿal and El were associated with the bull in Ugaritic texts, as it symbolized both strength and fertility.[33]

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Funny munny.

Quotes from: Wkpd: Baal

Baal was a title and honorific meaning 'owner' or 'lord' in the Northwest Semitic languages spoken in the Levant during antiquity. From its use among people, it came to be applied to gods. Scholars previously associated the theonym with solar cults and with a variety of unrelated patron deities, but inscriptions have shown that the name Ba'al was particularly associated with the storm and fertility god Hadad and his local manifestations ².

The worship of Baal penetrated Jewish religious life during the period of the Judges (Judges 3:7), became common in Israel during the rule of Ahab (1 Kings 16:31-33), and also influenced Judah (2 Chronicles 28:1-2) ¹. Baal becomes a big player in the book of Judges and during the time of the kings when Israel appears to succumb most to foreign pantheons ¹.

The Baʿal of Ugarit was the epithet of Hadad but as the time passed, the epithet became the god's name while Hadad became the epithet.[32] Baʿal was usually said to be the son of Dagan, but appears as one of the sons of El in Ugaritic sources.[27][18][e] Both Baʿal and El were associated with the bull in Ugaritic texts, as it symbolized both strength and fertility.[33]

Most things have their roots in astrology mainly the sun. Even the Christ figure is considered as a sun diety as he is often depicted with a sun behind his head and is also called "the son of God". There are many references to astrology within the bible. As jesus is the sun and the Apostles are the 12 placements in the zodiac. The sun rises again in the equinox.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It doesn't seem likely to me that there was a crossover. Hinduism and Judaism seem to far apart.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are some who claim Jesus may have travelled as far as asia and even europe.

It is interesting to think about.
I don't know about Asia but there are stories all over Cornwall and Glastonbury about Jesus as a youth going to England with Joseph of Arimathea. Joseph was believed to be in tin trade and would get that from England and take it back with him. He often took Jesus with him. It may be a story, but I love it. Joseph was believed to return to England after Jesus died and built a wattle church in Glastonbury under where the Abbey ruins now stand.. He took the Holy Grail and a piece of the Crown of thorns. (It flowers 2 times per year, and it is sent to the Queen every Yule. I have gotten to go to Glastonbury a few times. I am so thankful for that
Here is WIKI on the Glastonbury Thorn.
Here's a bit more

Also there is a song about Joseph and Jesus going to England. Maddy Prior sings it. It is one of my favorites:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I don't know about Asia but there are stories all over Cornwall and Glastonbury about Jesus as a youth going to England with Joseph of Arimathea. Joseph was believed to be in tin trade and would get that from England and take it back with him. He often took Jesus with him. It may be a story, but I love it. Joseph was believed to return to England after Jesus died and built a wattle church in Glastonbury under where the Abbey ruins now stand.. He took the Holy Grail and a piece of the Crown of thorns. (It flowers 2 times per year, and it is sent to the Queen every Yule. I have gotten to go to Glastonbury a few times. I am so thankful for that
Here is WIKI on the Glastonbury Thorn.
Here's a bit more

Also there is a song about Joseph and Jesus going to England. Maddy Prior sings it. It is one of my favorites:

Catchy song. I enjoyed it. Made me think of the popular anthem "Jerusalem".

Quotes from Wkpd: "And Did Those Feet"

It is often assumed that the poem was inspired by the apocryphal story that a young Jesus, accompanied by Joseph of Arimathea, a tin merchant, travelled to what is now England and visited Glastonbury during his unknown years.[2] Most scholars reject the historical authenticity of this story out of hand, and according to British folklore scholar A. W. Smith, "there was little reason to believe that an oral tradition concerning a visit made by Jesus to Britain existed before the early part of the twentieth century".[3]

William Blake's poem

And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon England's mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On England's pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these[c] dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold:
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In
England's green & pleasant Land.

Beneath the poem Blake inscribed a quotation from the Bible:[10]

"Would to God that all the Lord's[d] people were Prophets"
Numbers XI. Ch 29.v[9]

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are some who claim Jesus may have travelled as far as asia and even europe.
You can always go to BBC for Fake News. That is just plain nonsense. The Gospels tell us exactly where Jesus travelled. Also there was no direct connection between Israelite idolatry and Indian idolatry. But all idolatry is eventually connected through the tower of Babel (and even before that through Nimrod). Thus we have Mystery Babylon in Scripture. After people were scattered across the globe they all went into various kinds of idolatry (see Romans 1).

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You can always go to BBC for Fake News. That is just plain nonsense. The Gospels tell us exactly where Jesus travelled. Also there was no direct connection between Israelite idolatry and Indian idolatry. But all idolatry is eventually connected through the tower of Babel (and even before that through Nimrod). Thus we have Mystery Babylon in Scripture. After people were scattered across the globe they all went into various kinds of idolatry (see Romans 1).
Not sure the article is fake, but what Jesus did in his younger years is all speculation anyway - so who really knows what he did. To state it as fact though is a bit of a stretch. Personally if it was info we needed to know it would have been in scripture.

Reactions: Cassandra

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not sure the article is fake, but what Jesus did in his younger years is all speculation anyway - so who really knows what he did.
Actually we do know what Jesus did: And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man. (Luke 2:51,52)

So Christ remained in Nazareth with His family, and since Joseph was a carpenter, no doubt Jesus worked with him in the same trade (probably with outstanding workmanship). He certainly did not go globe-trotting. Every Jewish boy learned a trade, but this was only a small part of the life of Christ until His public ministry. God chose not to give us any further details.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There are parallels which might be drawn between things Jesus said and the ideology of other faiths. Which indicates Jesus may have travelled or was aware of events or ideology in other places.

But its not something that can be discussed as virtually no one knows what those parallels are aside from a tiny fraction of people.

Jesus said: I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? -John 3:12

People refusing to acknowledge basic facets of earthly concerns would appear to be about as true today as it was the day it was spoken.