The Holy Spirit: feminine, neuter, masculine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Genesis 1:

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit ][H7307, G4151] of God was hovering over the waters.
Strong's Concordance:

H7307. ruach
ruach: breath, wind, spirit
Original Word: רוּחַ
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Definition: breath, wind, spirit
Strong's Concordance:

G4151. pneuma
lpneuma: wind, spirit
Original Word: πνεῦμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Usage: wind, breath, spirit.
John 16:

7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate [G3875] will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.
Advocate
Παράκλητος (Paraklētos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3875: (a) an advocate, intercessor, (b) a consoler, comforter, helper, (c) Paraclete. An intercessor, consoler.

The Holy Spirit in Hebrew is feminine gender; in Greek, it is neuter; and as the Paraclete, it is masculine. Bill Mounce gave a good explanation on grammatical genders of the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1:

Strong's Concordance:

Strong's Concordance:

John 16:

Advocate
Παράκλητος (Paraklētos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3875: (a) an advocate, intercessor, (b) a consoler, comforter, helper, (c) Paraclete. An intercessor, consoler.

The Holy Spirit in Hebrew is feminine gender; in Greek, it is neuter; and as the Paraclete, it is masculine. Bill Mounce gave a good explanation on grammatical genders of the Holy Spirit.
Not being a particularly good student of grammar I will only say that comments made about the Spirit being an "it" or the "power of God" is purely the product of lack of experience. Anybody who has come into a true relationship with Christ through the gift of the Spirit knows that the Spirit is Himself God, manifesting His presence in finite locations.

God is both omnipresent and able to manifest His Person in various locations so that we can see Him at work. We could never see Him in His omnipotent essence. We could only comprehend Him and "see Him" within the domain in which we exist.

The Spirit, therefore, is not just "God's power," but God Himself who is performing His acts in time and space so that we can experience Him and know Him in our own finite, created lives. This is completely apart from the grammar, but I'll take your word for what you've said. ;)

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus called him a HE.

John 15:26
“When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

• Love
Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't have a transgender God. Of course, God, the Father, IS male and has a male Spirit. This explains why Jesus refer's to God the Father's spirit using masculine pronouns.

It would be incorrect to say of my earthy father, she wants us to come over at 6 PM for dinner. His will, word, spirit, wants and needs are all masculine because he is masculine.