Who is the Paraclete?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Know your Paraclete/Helper. I can feel God all the time, any time. I feel at peace every time, regardless of what is happening around me.

Berean Study Bible John 14:

15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another [G243] Helper [G3875 paraklétos Paraclete] to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you and will be in you.
G243 ἄλλον means another of the same kind. The Paraclete is like Jesus.

G3875 occurs five times in the New Testament, all in the writings of John. Four instances are in the Gospel and one in the First Epistle.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

STRONGS NT 3875: παράκλητος
The word for "Paraclete" is passive in form: summoned, called to one's side, especially called to one's aid;
  1. one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant; an advocate, an attorney
  2. universally, one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor
  3. in the widest sense, a helper, succorer, aider, assistant
Amplified Bible John 14:

16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), to be with you forever
ESV John 14:

23 Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
The Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit dwell in a believer.

When the breath of life from God enters a baby in the womb, his soul is formed and he becomes conscious. This breath of life becomes his human spirit.

Later in life, when he is born again, the Holy Spirit connects with his human spirit. Jesus called this the Paraclete. He is the Indwelling Spirit, Ephesians 2:

22 In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.
He is our anointing and guarantee, 2 Corinthians 1:

21 Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
2 Corinthians 13:

5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Can’t you see for yourselves that Jesus Christ is in you—unless you actually fail the test?
The Paraclete is Jesus Christ in my heart.

1 John 2:

1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate [paraclete] with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
The Paraclete is a special function of the Holy Spirit that directly connects to the human spirits of all true believers born of the Spirit.

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Paraclete is the Holy Spirit being described in the NT sense of standing in for Christ while we remain on earth in these mortal bodies. Christ is standing in for us legally in heaven with God so that our Salvation is sure. But our Salvation must also be worked out on earth as Christ lives in us via the Paraclete, or the one who counsels us how to live in Christ.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit dwell in a believer.

The Paraclete is a special function of the Holy Spirit that directly connects to the human spirits of all true believers born of the Spirit.
I disagree with the first sentence above. God IS spirit, (and so is Jesus now) and His spirit indwells those who surrender to Him. He is our paraclete.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I disagree with the first sentence above. God IS spirit, (and so is Jesus now) and His spirit indwells those who surrender to Him. He is our paraclete.
Sure. That's a matter of definition.