God breathed into Adam's nostrils the BREATH of LIFE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Genesis 2:7

Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath [H5397] of life [H2416], and the man became a living being.
Strong's Hebrew: 5397. נְשָׁמָה (neshamah) — 23 Occurrences

Brown-Driver-Briggs:

1. breath of God as hot wind kindling a flame Isaiah 30:33; as destroying wind 2 Samuel 22:16 = Psalm 18:16; Job 4:9; as cold wind producing ice Job 32:8; Job 33:4.
  2. breath of man 1 Kings 17:17; Isaiah 42:5; Job 27:3; Daniel 10:7; breath of life Genesis 2:7 (J); it is God's breath in man Job 34:14; Job 36:4;
  3. every breathing thing Deuteronomy 20:16; Joshua 11:11,14;
  4. spirit of man, Proverbs 20:27 the spirit of man is a lamp
An uncreated detached breath of life from God becomes the animating spirit of man. The same happened when I was born of my mother. Zechariah 12:1b The LORD ... forms the human spirit within a person.

There is a related Hebrew word in Gen 6:

17 For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth to destroy all flesh in which is the breath [H7307] of life [H2416] under heaven. Everything that is on the earth shall die.
Strong's Hebrew: 7307. ר֫וּחַ (ruach) — 377 Occurrences

Brown-Driver-Briggs:

1 breath of mouth or nostrils (33 t.)
2 wind (117 t.)
3 spirit, as that which breathes quickly in animation or agitation = temper, disposition
4 spirit of the living, breathing being, dwelling in the בָּשָׂר [flesh] of men and animals
5 spirit as seat of emotion
6 occasionally, (and late) = seat or organ of mental acts
7 rarely of the will
8 especially of moral character
9 spirit of God

Both words are used when Elihu spoke in Job 34:

14 If he [Almight God] should set his heart to it and gather to himself his spirit [H7307] and his breath [H5397], 15 all flesh would perish together, and man would return to dust.
In this context, I think this special H7307/H5397/spirit is an uncreated breath of life directly from God and cannot be destroyed.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 2:7

Strong's Hebrew: 5397. נְשָׁמָה (neshamah) — 23 Occurrences

Brown-Driver-Briggs:

1. breath of God as hot wind kindling a flame Isaiah 30:33; as destroying wind 2 Samuel 22:16 = Psalm 18:16; Job 4:9; as cold wind producing ice Job 32:8; Job 33:4.
  2. breath of man 1 Kings 17:17; Isaiah 42:5; Job 27:3; Daniel 10:7; breath of life Genesis 2:7 (J); it is God's breath in man Job 34:14; Job 36:4;
  3. every breathing thing Deuteronomy 20:16; Joshua 11:11,14;
  4. spirit of man, Proverbs 20:27 the spirit of man is a lamp
An uncreated detached breath of life from God becomes the animating spirit of man. The same happened when I was born of my mother. Zechariah 12:1b The LORD ... forms the human spirit within a person.

There is a related Hebrew word in Gen 6:

Strong's Hebrew: 7307. ר֫וּחַ (ruach) — 377 Occurrences

Brown-Driver-Briggs:

1 breath of mouth or nostrils (33 t.)
2 wind (117 t.)
3 spirit, as that which breathes quickly in animation or agitation = temper, disposition
4 spirit of the living, breathing being, dwelling in the בָּשָׂר [flesh] of men and animals
5 spirit as seat of emotion
6 occasionally, (and late) = seat or organ of mental acts
7 rarely of the will
8 especially of moral character
9 spirit of God

Both words are used when Elihu spoke in Job 34:

In this context, I think this special H7307/H5397/spirit is an uncreated breath of life directly from God and cannot be destroyed.
I think the idea is that God created life to be installed in a body, and that life is called a "spirit." The difference between animals and people is that when the spirit of life entered a human body, the spirit formed a human personality, or soul.

I really don't know, but we may like to think animals have "personality." But they may actually have life in the same way plants have life, without a consciousness of self. Speculating here....

Please don't get me wrong here. I'm a big time animal lover and nature lover. Animals do have feelings!!!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're the "language person"--you tell me! ;)

I wouldn't suggest, if they have "personalities," that they have souls in the way the Bible describes humans receiving a "soul" when the spirit of life entered their bodies. But you're much better with the words and the language, so I'm curious what your thoughts are on my ideas?

I believe that the "spirit" is the life force that enters into animals--maybe even plants?? But when this "spirit," or life force, enters into human bodies, a "soul," or human personality, is created. Thoughts?

Reactions: TonyChanYT

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wouldn't suggest, if they have "personalities," that they have souls in the way the Bible describes humans receiving a "soul" when the spirit of life entered their bodies. But you're much better with the words and the language, so I'm curious what your thoughts are on my ideas?

Do animals have personalities?

Yes. By personality, I mean memory, emotion, intelligence, volition, and consciousness. I would put it on a continuum. Lower animals have less personality, and higher animals have more. Humans are the ultimate in terms of personality.

I believe that the "spirit" is the life force that enters into animals--maybe even plants?? But when this "spirit," or life force, enters into human bodies, a "soul," or human personality, is created. Thoughts?

See What happens to your soul when you die?

Reactions: Randy Kluth