The importance of works.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
I like it :) Christian/ Catholic

Sorry,of course my mistake, what is wrong with me, being that all history reveals that it was the Catholic Church that was the only Church founded by Jesus and based upon Christ's apostles. Also, the Catholic Church was the only Church that defended and preserved her Christianity successfully until the Protestant reformers bastardized pure Christianity into a myriad of flavors suitable for only those that protest against His Apostolic Church.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Sorry,of course my mistake, what is wrong with me, being that all history reveals that it was the Catholic Church that was the only Church founded by Jesus and based upon Christ's apostles. Also, the Catholic Church was the only Church that defended and preserved her Christianity successfully until the Protestant reformers bastardized pure Christianity into a myriad of flavors suitable for only those that protest against His Apostolic Church.

To that I have no answer. pLEASE CHECK my post on the previous page I provided a link.

Please do not bother me any longer with the topic of the Catholic Church being the only and/or true deposit of faith.

Light is a much easier burden than sand and stones

Theodore A. Jones

Aug 15, 2011
kepha31 said:
I am in agreement with Xian's OP.

Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16,21; 3:2,5,10; Eph. 2:8-9 - many Protestants err in their understanding of what Paul means by "works of the law” in his teaching on justification. Paul’s teaching that we are not justified by “works of the law” refer to the law of Moses or to any legal system that makes God our debtor. They do not refer to good works done in grace with faith in Christ. This makes sense when we remember that Paul's mission was to teach that salvation was also for the Gentiles who were not subject to the "works of the law." Here is the proof:

James 2:24 – compare the verse “a man is justified by works and not by faith alone” to
Gal. 2:16 – “a man is not justified by works of the law,” and
Rom. 3:20,28 – “no human being will be justified in His sight by works of the law.”

James 2:24 appears to be inconsistent with Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28 until one realizes that the Word of God cannot contradict itself. This means that the “works” in James 2:24 are different from the “works of the law in Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:20,28. James is referring to “good works” (e.g.,clothing the naked; giving food to the poor) and Paul is referring to the “Mosaic law” (which included both the legal, moral and ceremonial law) or any works which oblige God to give us payment. Here is more proof:

Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16 - Paul's phrase for "works of the law" in the Greek is "ergon nomou" which means the Mosaic law or Torah and refers to the teachings (legal, moral) and works (ceremonial) that gave the Jews the knowledge of sin, but not an escape from sin. We have further proof of this from the Dead Sea Scrolls which provide the Hebrew equivalent ("hrvt ysm") meaning "deeds of the law," or Mosaic law.

James in James 2 does not use "ergon nomou." He uses "ergois agathois." Therefore, Paul’s "works of the law" and James' "works" are entirely different types of works. Again, they could never contradict each other because the Scriptures are the inspired word of God.
"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13

SilenceInMotion

Dec 10, 2012
Virginia, USA
Arnie Manitoba said:
Faith and belief get us to Heaven.

Once there rewards are handed out for good works .

Minimum works will produce minimum rewards

But you are still in heaven.

For this reason we should view good works as beneficial , although they are not compulsory for salvation.

Keep up the good works.
What is faith without works?

No faith.

What is a little faith?

Little works; serving two masters.

What is geneuine faith?

Many works, serving one master.