The Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

InHisGrace07

Jul 4, 2012
Purpose of the Law:

19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin
Romans 3:19-20 (NKJV)

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."[
Romans 7:7 (NKJV)

24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
Gal 3:24-25 (NKJV)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
[font=Times New Roman']4[/font] Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. [font=Times New Roman']25[/font] But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
Gal 3:24-25 (NKJV)

The law is like a volt meter that detects whether or not there is voltage (power). Paul could not use this analogy because of his time where such things as harnessing electrical and magnetic power was unheard of. We today should understand MORE than Paul...but we actually don't understand Paul at all.

So we don't live by the power of a volt meter...it is only a gauge of power not the power itself. The voltmeter tells you when the wall socket is dead....so the law tells us our condition as sinners unless the power of Christ's life is present in us.

Now, what do you see walking in the flesh as?
Does the law of sin and death (aka law of righteousness, 10 commandments) have any involvement in the walking by the Spirit for Christians according to your doctrine?

We are all walking in the flesh...you may be referring to walking ACCORDING to the flesh. A person who walks according to the flesh still sins because he is walking in his own power and strength. When we walk this way we are still under the law. When we are walking according to the Spirit in HIS power and strength then we walk as Jesus walked. This is His gift to those who forsake their own lives in order to serve the Lord.

Does the law of sin and death (aka law of righteousness, 10 commandments

There is no aka here. You have misunderstood the purpose of the law. The law of righteousness follows where we are trying to do what is right according to our own ability. Children do this. The law is not against a good effort to obey it. It is simply insufficient because of the weakness of the flesh. So the law is good and righteousness is good...albeit insuficient.

Someone who is in Christ does more than obey the law...he far exceeds it. Instead of coveting or stealing...he gives his possessions away. Instead of hating he loves....instead of killing he brings life...instead of lying he brings truth to the world. Not only does he honour God but walks as His slave.

So the law is written for sinners to show them the minimum requirement of righteousness. But as Christians we can go the extra mile because of the presence of God in our hearts.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi haz,

Once one removes 'walking in the Spirit' from a discussion, one has to consider the natural man.

The natural man can be subject to the Spirit, or not, just as the man of flesh can be subject to the Spirit, or not.

I was struggling to find a way to express the difference. For now, a puny example. We must eat to live. Is that the natural man, or the flesh? Or is it only the flesh when we've had an ample portion, but we lust for more than that?

Until our discussion, I'd never really 'seen' this verse in Romans. Now that it's been highlighted to me (and I've already quoted it somewhere in our discussions) please would you pick it apart, and say where you see 'the law' and 'the 10 commandments' falling in respect to it?

Many thanks. Here it is:

Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.