The Liberty University Influence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a member of the Pentecostal Holiness Church who also visits Baptist churches. I have sent a niece through Liberty University. Most of the pastors I know both Pentecostal and Baptist are Liberty University graduates.

Liberty University's Rawlings School of Divinity

In which boasts the world’s largest school for religious studies and ministerial training. Liberty University defines itself as a Christian college that aligns with the evangelical tradition. But with the Thomas Road Baptist church nearby, arguably more Baptist.

So... We are a Pentecostal Holiness denomination filled with Liberty graduates. With the Liberty University influence comes change. The nearby Radford Pentecostal Holiness Church has renamed itself Compassion Church with Liberty graduates at the helm. We also have a nearby Northstar church that are fruits of Baptist ministries. When asked about denomination influence the Liberty graduate will tell you they are, "Bible Believing." The Northstar church does very well with I would say 1,000 folk in attendance while Virginia Tech classes are in progress. Noting that both churches have about the same training, they also share in the fact that there is no advertised denomination. You would have to dig to find their denominational influences.

Compassion Church Radford | A family where you belong

In advise in choosing a church of this influence I would highly recommend to research into the leadership.Good leadership is essential. Saint Ambrose once said, "While in Rome do as the Romans." Which I believe is good advice and there may be a time to get out of Rome if the Romans are getting off base. But while in Rome I at least try to be friendly and well mannered.

My goodness! What a delicate thread! These are... Though... Changing times in which denominational focus is not what it was as in times past.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a member of the Pentecostal Holiness Church who also visits Baptist churches. I have sent a niece through Liberty University. Most of the pastors I know both Pentecostal and Baptist are Liberty University graduates.
Really good point. 1st, I would say that offering support for a large church, leader, or denomination is not going to be unconditional--it depends on how things evolve and it depends on whether certain defects remain small or become large.

I've been in Pentecostal/Charismatic churches for over 50 years. Many years ago I became very supportive of Moral Majority and Jerry Falwell because of the need I perceived existed to fight the forces of religious liberalism acting through the political Left.

I even took a course in politics through a correspondence course from Liberty University--I finished the whole course but decided correspondence courses were not for me--they require many times more effort and time to prove you've studied than if I took a simple community college course.

That being said, a good Christian friend who is Pentecostal just got his religious studies degree through Liberty University, also through correspondence courses.

My own view towards Pentecostal Theology and Baptist Theology controls how I see their "errors" and "dangers," particularly as those things evolve in time, often in a negative way. Baptists tend to over-simplify the Christian experience as "evangelism." Many other aspects of Christian living are addressed as well, but the excessive focus on evangelism tends to reduce a necessary focus on other matters like "spiritual gifts."

Pentecostals have an overemphasis on the "Baptism in the Holy Spirit," and thus make a subjective experience with God superior to objective biblical doctrine. The Bible may limit "speaking in tongues" to those who have the gift, or to only when an interpretation is present. Nevertheless, the experience predominates and all biblical limitations are ignored.

The belief that "all have all gifts potentially" leads to everyone trying to be a pastor, everyone trying to a a prophet, etc. etc. Between Pentecostal excesses and Baptist excesses I personally prefer Pentecostalism with its emphasis on the Holy Spirit as opposed to pure evangelism. What can you lead people to if not in the power of the Holy Spirit? Are we leading people to a church, to doctrine, or to Christ himself? The Spirit is who bears witness to Christ!

Anyway, I do think there should be cross-pollinization to some dgree, and certainly cross fellowship. But we should be careful not to pick up the other's excesses! Just my thoughts....

Reactions: amadeus

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really good point. 1st, I would say that offering support for a large church, leader, or denomination is not going to be unconditional--it depends on how things evolve and it depends on whether certain defects remain small or become large.

I've been in Pentecostal/Charismatic churches for over 50 years. Many years ago I became very supportive of Moral Majority and Jerry Falwell because of the need I perceived existed to fight the forces of religious liberalism acting through the political Left.

I even took a course in politics through a correspondence course from Liberty University--I finished the whole course but decided correspondence courses were not for me--they require many times more effort and time to prove you've studied than if I took a simple community college course.

That being said, a good Christian friend who is Pentecostal just got his religious studies degree through Liberty University, also through correspondence courses.

My own view towards Pentecostal Theology and Baptist Theology controls how I see their "errors" and "dangers," particularly as those things evolve in time, often in a negative way. Baptists tend to over-simplify the Christian experience as "evangelism." Many other aspects of Christian living are addressed as well, but the excessive focus on evangelism tends to reduce a necessary focus on other matters like "spiritual gifts."

Pentecostals have an overemphasis on the "Baptism in the Holy Spirit," and thus make a subjective experience with God superior to objective biblical doctrine. The Bible may limit "speaking in tongues" to those who have the gift, or to only when an interpretation is present. Nevertheless, the experience predominates and all biblical limitations are ignored.

The belief that "all have all gifts potentially" leads to everyone trying to be a pastor, everyone trying to a a prophet, etc. etc. Between Pentecostal excesses and Baptist excesses I personally prefer Pentecostalism with its emphasis on the Holy Spirit as opposed to pure evangelism. What can you lead people to if not in the power of the Holy Spirit? Are we leading people to a church, to doctrine, or to Christ himself? The Spirit is who bears witness to Christ!

Anyway, I do think there should be cross-pollinization to some dgree, and certainly cross fellowship. But we should be careful not to pick up the other's excesses! Just my thoughts....
Spent a few minutes in meditation before replying here. As far as Pentecostal Holiness I like the emphasis on worship, prayer, and praise. But... There were regrettably folk who expected everyone to recieve the Holy Spirit in the same way. Which was a grave mistake.

But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. - 1 Corinthians 12:11

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree about church leaders. If they are not teaching heresy or outright sin, we are bound to support and pray for them. Methodology or other non scriptural variables matter not. those are personal taste and not biblical issues.

I was a member of the MM until I realized that while we have a right in America to speak against ills of society, it is not our duty to do so. Our kingdom is not of this world.

Having been a Baptist now for 27 of my 50 years with the Lord, It has been my experience that all the Baptist believers who are pastors and leaders are far deeper than evangelism. Both Baptist churches I was a member of spoke and taught first growing your relationship with god and evangelism as part of a well rounded Christian walk.

I believe in the gifts of the Spirit, but my big problem with Pentecostal and holiness churches is their insistence that people can lose their salvation. This is a dangerous lie.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Liberty University's Rawlings School of Divinity

In which boasts the world’s largest school for religious studies and ministerial training. Liberty University defines itself as a Christian college that aligns with the evangelical tradition. But with the Thomas Road Baptist church nearby, arguably more Baptist.

So... We are a Pentecostal Holiness denomination filled with Liberty graduates. With the Liberty University influence comes change. The nearby Radford Pentecostal Holiness Church has renamed itself Compassion Church with Liberty graduates at the helm. We also have a nearby Northstar church that are fruits of Baptist ministries. When asked about denomination influence the Liberty graduate will tell you they are, "Bible Believing." The Northstar church does very well with I would say 1,000 folk in attendance while Virginia Tech classes are in progress. Noting that both churches have about the same training, they also share in the fact that there is no advertised denomination. You would have to dig to find their denominational influences.

Compassion Church Radford | A family where you belong

In advise in choosing a church of this influence I would highly recommend to research into the leadership.Good leadership is essential. Saint Ambrose once said, "While in Rome do as the Romans." Which I believe is good advice and there may be a time to get out of Rome if the Romans are getting off base. But while in Rome I at least try to be friendly and well mannered.

My goodness! What a delicate thread! These are... Though... Changing times in which denominational focus is not what it was as in times past.
My son in law who is a pastor and my daughter are graduates of Liberty University.

Reactions: rockytopva

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree about church leaders. If they are not teaching heresy or outright sin, we are bound to support and pray for them. Methodology or other non scriptural variables matter not. those are personal taste and not biblical issues.

I was a member of the MM until I realized that while we have a right in America to speak against ills of society, it is not our duty to do so. Our kingdom is not of this world.

Having been a Baptist now for 27 of my 50 years with the Lord, It has been my experience that all the Baptist believers who are pastors and leaders are far deeper than evangelism. Both Baptist churches I was a member of spoke and taught first growing your relationship with god and evangelism as part of a well rounded Christian walk.

I believe in the gifts of the Spirit, but my big problem with Pentecostal and holiness churches is their insistence that people can lose their salvation. This is a dangerous lie.
Yes, I was just outlining my general experience with Baptists--one of my best friends growing up was a Baptist PK. I have had zero problems with their Christianity itself. Baptists and Pentecostals have problems unique to their kind of "Separatist" mentality. They "hate" organized religion, and emphasize personal relationship with God.

I admit that the "High Churches" have deteriorated over time. State Churches get polluted by the State they are located in. Anyway, I'm happy with any Baptist church that teaches the "Full Gospel." There are many Baptist denominations. I heard that Jimmy Carter in the S. Baptist denomination was "soft" towards homosexuality, but I don't know if the quote on him was legitimate. And I don't think S. Baptists would, at any rate, be that liberal.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I was just outlining my general experience with Baptists--one of my best friends growing up was a Baptist PK. I have had zero problems with their Christianity itself. Baptists and Pentecostals have problems unique to their kind of "Separatist" mentality. They "hate" organized religion, and emphasize personal relationship with God.

I admit that the "High Churches" have deteriorated over time. State Churches get polluted by the State they are located in. Anyway, I'm happy with any Baptist church that teaches the "Full Gospel." There are many Baptist denominations. I heard that Jimmy Carter in the S. Baptist denomination was "soft" towards homosexuality, but I don't know if the quote on him was legitimate. And I don't think S. Baptists would, at any rate, be that liberal.
Yes Pres. Carter was part of the liberal schism of the SBC so he was soft on homosexuality as well as other issues.

Separatism can be a good thing when serious heresy is involved. But I agree with you the separatist mindset found in many believing churches is a tragedy.

Reactions: Randy Kluth