Why I don't believe in (the) "Present Truth"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pavel Mosko

Dec 19, 2021
Boyertown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was watching a video about Seventh Day Adventism, and I ran across this term that I hadn't heard in decades. Actually, the first and last place I heard it was in the Charismatic movement. In the 90s when I was coming into the movement when I entered graduate school, is where I ran into the term. I read a book called "Prophets and the Prophetic Movement, by Bill Hamon. In that work, Bill Hamon quotes from an earlier work in the 1970s called "The Eternal Church" which was his take on both Church History and Ecclesiology coming from the earlier "Later Day Rain" movement of Pentecostalism.

In his book Hamon advocates a kind of spiritual Evolutionary view of Church History starting with Luther in the Reformation, where God through a series of movements brings back or properly establishes doctrines "That were lost to the Church". This process of restoration begins in traditional Protestantism and moves into various areas of American Revivalism culminating in the latest Charismatic movements. Below is a short video from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Hamon states: “The restitution/restoration of the Church started in AD 1517 after more than a thousand years of the Church’s apostate condition, called the Dark Ages. On that date came ‘The Great Restoration of the Church,’ when the Protestant Movement was birthed. Beginning with that date there have been five major restorational movements: The Protestant, Holiness, Pentecostal, Charismatic, and Prophetic Movements.” (B.Hamon, “Apostles and Prophets” p.104) He also adds the Latter Rain Movement, Faith Movement (meaning the Word of Faith teaching popularized by Kenneth Hagin and Kenneth Copeland), and the Apostolic Movement (his of course).” (ibid. p.107)

The conventional and odd Latter rain

In his book or books Hamon tends to use the term "Present Truth" to describe the pinnacle of theological development or doctrinal understanding that was brought back to the Church via the latest Restoration movement.

Now Seventh Day Adventism has its own paradigm of "present truth" as described by various places on the web. While Wikipedia is not an official source it often is good at giving a nice succinct description of something.

The concept of Restorationism also is very important to the general topic as well.

Last edited:

Pavel Mosko

Dec 19, 2021
Boyertown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My position 1

I do not believe in Cessationism. The formal doctrine that the gifts of the Spirit "went away with the death of the apostles". I do not believe a belief that strong can really be taught, without a strong Faith statement coming from the Bible like we see from "The Sermon on the Mount", "The Great Commision" and various other sayings of Jesus, or would have to be something formally taught by saint Paul in his epistles and not obliquely like how people use the phrase of things "passing away in 1 Corinthians 13:10, when the perfect comes" in reference to tongues and prophecy to suggest that this is what happened after the Bible was canonized and mass copied (This statement I believe is meant to suggest these things will be rendered obsolete when we are finally united to God at the end of the age. e.g - You do not need healing when you receive a perfect gloried body, you do not need prophesy when you can ask Jesus something face to face, or just know it intuitively through your spirit that is in perfect union with God).

On the other hand, I believe that truth claims need to be tested much more vigorously than what has happened in the Charismatic movement and other American religious movements. I have seen firsthand many dubious things, especially concerning "the gift of prophecy", where people are prophesying stuff from their own personal motives, opinions and emotional baggage etc.

Last edited:

Pavel Mosko

Dec 19, 2021
Boyertown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My position 2

Something also should be said concerning the Biblical passage from Ephesians about "The Church being built on the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets". There is no doubt that the Church was built on the foundation of the Apostles. But as for the "Prophets", I do not see "the Prophet" as being as big in the New Testament Church as the office was in the earlier days of Israel, and that comes from what is actually shown in the New Testament itself especially the Book of Acts. There were not that many "prophets" floating around, Agabus and his daughters were the main ones we see, and if you want to I suppose you can count saint John the Divine because of the book of Revelation. Anyway the mention of Prophets in the Ephesians 4 verse has more to do with the OT prophets and their writings and their great importance to the early Church because the Old Testament was the Bible of the Church for the first 4 centuries. When you preached Christ, you did so largely from preaching out of the Old Testament and showed how he fulfilled the prophecies, types and shadows.

I would also cite early Church history to back up this view, especially the Didache that depicts itinerant wandering ministers of the early church that had the gift of prophesy, but this gift was not primarily for bringing new doctrine but for "edification, correction and comfort" of the local body of believers, and that is how the gift of prophecy largely exists today at least in the Charismatic world that is still orthodox. e.g. how I have seen first hand how the gift of prophecy operated by folks in the Charismatic Episcopal Church and other similar groups of Protestants who are Charismatic yet also conservative and traditional in their theology.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, Mosko. It's been a long time since seeing you.

It's always good to question what people say or think, and to investigate and pray and ask God for wisdom.

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was watching a video about Seventh Day Adventism, and I ran across this term that I hadn't heard in decades. Actually, the first and last place I heard it was in the Charismatic movement.
I can't say for sure but the SDA were one of the first to use the term, they published The Present Truth journal
The_Present_Truth.jpg

There is another Sabbatarian group that publishes under thay name.
ptm-34-christ-our-righteousness-part-3pdf-present-truth-magazine.jpg
After the death of C.T. Russell there was a split within the Watch Tower movement. One of the splinter groups headed by Paul Johnson published Thr Present Truth, still in circulation today
62821621_129218787107.jpg

Reactions: Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko

Dec 19, 2021
Boyertown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't say for sure but the SDA were one of the first to use the term, they published The Present Truth journal
View attachment 36629

There is another Sabbatarian group that publishes under thay name.
View attachment 36630
After the death of C.T. Russell there was a split within the Watch Tower movement. One of the splinter groups headed by Paul Johnson published Thr Present Truth, still in circulation today
View attachment 36631
I'm guessing the term might have some link to Restorationism, at least for those that have a Revelatory belief. Ellen White was a member of the Shouting Methodists and much of Pentecostalism came from Wesleyanism. The previous Charismatic prophet I cited got most of his theology from the Later Rain Pentecostalism of the 1940s-1950s.